The Sensibility of Timbre Matching

D

dbarry

Audiophyte
Lets start by agreeing that almost everyone has a budget for their speaker system. Lets also assume that there is almost an unlimited amount of money that you can pay for speakers. And, as a last assumption, lets agree that there is always a bigger and better that’s just beyond the budget, and that bigger and better could probably be purchased if it were not for the extra cost to also purchase the bigger and better timbre matched surround speakers.

My questions: Would I be happier purchasing the bigger and better sounding front speakers and supplement my purchase with good quality but reasonably cheap wall/ceiling mount surround speakers that are not timbre matched to the fronts? Or, would I be happier if I purchased the lesser system in main speaker sound quality that comes with timbre matched surrounds at an affordable package price?

I would guess that most folks believe that timbre matched speakers are important; they wish to experience to the best of their budget – true reproduction of vocals or the pure sound from the cello during a concerto. And I can agree that timbre matched fronts and center speakers are extremely important since they probably produce 80% to the sound that comes from most of the entertainment sequences.

With consideration to the value of timbre matched front speakers the question remains, what is the true value of timbre matched surrounds? A gentleman recently suggested that the speaker companies are thrilled by the technological advance of multi-channel home theater systems. They find themselves selling perhaps seven speakers instead of just two. However, their windfall of good fortune requires them to increase their market share by stressing the importance of timbre matched front and surround systems.

What is the true sensibility of timbre matching fronts to surrounds? Some DVD sequences are obviously enhanced by matched speakers but other sequences seem not to have timbre-matching requirements. For example: I really love the surround sound of movies; the big boom of explosions, echo’s, trains passing from left to right; background sounds of all kinds are wonderful. But most of these sounds are imitations of the real thing or the imagined thing. Even a true reproduction of orchestrated sound will include diffused sounds that are reflected from the concert hall walls; the echoed musical sounds are of-course surround sounds but they do the replicate the true sound that the musical instrument originally produced. So here again is my question, why am I so concerned with a complete timbre matched speaker system?

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
my opinion

In home theater applications the timber match of the front three is most important, and is where the majority of your cash should go. For multichannel audio the rears being timber matched become more important, however your maximum return on investment will still be in the front three. When it comes to timber matched surrounds...I wouldn't sweat it...nice but not necessary to have a great listening experience in HT or mulitchannel audio. It seems you've done your homework and you’re on the right track...don't buy into all the hype or at least learn to filter it out…it will be okay I promise…you’ve come to right place…cheers

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
dbarry said:
What is the true sensibility of timbre matching fronts to surrounds? Some DVD sequences are obviously enhanced by matched speakers but other sequences seem not to have timbre-matching requirements. For example: I really love the surround sound of movies; the big boom of explosions, echo’s, trains passing from left to right; background sounds of all kinds are wonderful. But most of these sounds are imitations of the real thing or the imagined thing. Even a true reproduction of orchestrated sound will include diffused sounds that are reflected from the concert hall walls; the echoed musical sounds are of-course surround sounds but they do the replicate the true sound that the musical instrument originally produced. So here again is my question, why am I so concerned with a complete timbre matched speaker system?
Timbre doesn't matter when you only have stereo pairs to deal with. Those stereo pairs are always timbre matched. It becomes a serious consideration with the onset of multichannel systems, whether HT or multich audio, that started requiring more than 1 pair of speakers.

With a mere stereo pair, a corvette careening from left to right on the TV screen will sound the same from left to right channels in a stereo VHS. But if that corvette would move in a circle in a 5.1 DVD, it should sound like a corvette from left to center to right to rear right to rear left. You can get that if all the speakers are timbre matched. Otherwise, there's a good chance the corvette will sound like a 1.5-liter toyota when it reaches the back, or the front, if the two are not timbre-matched.

Timbre connotes sonic coloration or signature that is unique to a speaker in one series in a brand over another. The differences can range from subtle to dramatic. Only so-called uncolored, neutral and transparent speakers don't have timbre. They're often stratospherically priced. So if two different speaker brands claim their speakers to be neutral and uncolored, you should have no timbre matching issues mixing them together.

Otherwise, with most affordable commercial speakers out there, timbre becomes a consideration when using multiple speakers. If you were using a B&W stereo pair, timbre doesn't matter. But if you are now moving into multichannel, it's always a good thing to have the center and the rear timbre-martched with your front mains. Or you could change the front mains to timbre-match with you desired center and rears. It's up to you. Bottomline, a 747 coming in from front to back in a DVD should sound like a 747 when it reaches the back. And not transform to sound like a Cessna becasue the rear speakers are not timber matched with the fronts.

Having said that, I agree that in many situations, timbre matching between front and rear may not be as important as timbre-matching between front and center. In fact, many audiophiles skip the center altogether, preferring to phantom the center, especially if the AV room isn't that large or the viewers not that many. In some DVD titles, chirping birds, echoes or ambient sounds at the rear may not require timbre matching at all. In fact, those small speakers often consigned at the back are never perfectly matched with the bigger fronts common in the early prologic days. But having timbrally matches speakers is a STARTING point in a proper multichannel set-up.

These days, with discrete multichannel SACD, DVD-A and DTS-CD, having identical speakers all around is often an advantage. And many movie titles in DVD are starting to demand a similar arrangement. Those stampeding herds in Lion King demands similar full-range speakers at the back. And if they are not timbre-matched, you lose out on the supposed seamless enveloping or immersive sound that the DTS or DD mix was meant to create. Let's not forget that timbre-matching is not the only quality required in a multi-channel set-up. There's also such a thing as level-matching and delay compensation to ensure that the immersive sound quality is there at your listening chair similar to getting the proper stereo depth and imaging in a stereo set-up. Setting up the right multichannel speakers to effect seamless immersive sound is a real challenge to begin with, no less daunting as seting the right stereo pair positining to effect the best solundstage imaging in a stereo set-up.. Let's not complicate it farther by using timbrally unmatched speakers. Afterall, those recording engineers laying the track mix on DD or DTS were using timbre-matched speakers at the studio. Not using timbre-matched speakers in a multichannel set-up for home playback is like using a wharfedale at the left and a JBl at the right in a stereo set-up.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Seriously...if you are starting form scratch and have a budget, in the long run you will better off if you initially spend more on the front three and skimp on the rears (not to much though) and then replace the rears when your budget allows for it. Yes, in the ideal world of unlimited budgets everything should be timber matched, heck every speaker should be the same and full range to boot, but for most that's not realistic and sacrifices need to be made somewhere.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If I were to do it all over again, I'd seriously consider a 7.1 setup with all timber matched speakers, and NO towers. You don't need towers with bass management and a good sub. People spend so much cash on towers, when so much of what we deal with anymore is HT or some version of 5 and 7 channel stereo (DVD-A and SACD). Very few of us listen to 2 channel music. And if we do, I'm guessing a lot of us use our sub to help out with bass. When you cross over your bass at, say 80hz, you most likely eliminate the bass that would come from your front speakers. If they are towers, what's the use. And one other consideration - is your HT receiver powerful enough to drive these power hungry towers without a separate amp? Many of todays towers rely on woofers 8" and under. They cannot compete with dedicated subs put in a corner for bass. That is why a speaker system such as the Axioms are rated so high - because of the economics and efficiency. Get all 5, or better yet, 7 speakers at once and save for a subwoofer. They take up less room, look better, and will sound great with the right sub IMO.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I agree, for the difference in price of the towers and bookshelfs I was getting, the actual sound difference in HT was very limited. And I definitely run 6 speakers for music now....since I find DPLIIx to be very good.

Of course, six towers is ideal, then you can run the sub at a lower crossover point.

D

dbarry

Audiophyte
I somehow wonder if the towers have a bit better midrange efficiency than do bookshelf speakers. For example: When comparing one manufacturer speaker series I find the bookshelf to have one bass/midrange driver and one base driver with the 2nd order "lower base driver" crossover at 500 Hz. The tower unit has one midrange driver and three base drivers with 3rd order base driver – not lower bass driver – crossover at 300 Hz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis