The Rise of Skywalker

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This might get interesting.

Okay, so I helped hijack my own thread (The Mandalorian) talking about this upcoming movie and figure I might as well make a thread. Just a little background on me. I'm a big Star Wars fan and have been since I was 7 or 8 years old. "A New Hope" is the first movie I remember seeing when I was a kid. We saw it at a drive in and it's one of my favorite memories. It was a double feature so I knew I was gonna get to stay up past my bedtime and Star Wars already had some pretty good hype behind it so I was pretty excited.

I've made it no secret that I think "The Last Jedi" has a lot of problems and generally left me feeling deflated when I walked out of the theater. They way they handled some of the legacy characters (especially Luke) I think was downright disrespectful. Well, I'm not alone and Disney knows it. A lot of people think there's a lot riding on this film for the future of Star Wars and there are a ton of rumors flying around about it. To get us started...
I read the first screenings of Rise of Skywalker were universally hated by the audience. That audience includes both fans and non-fans, so that bodes badly.
I read/heard the same thing. I also heard that there was a mad scramble after that and now there are as many as 6 different cuts that they've been trying out with test audiences, including a George Lucas cut that supposedly scored an 88%. 88 is a very respectable score, but... (again, RUMOR) there are rumblings of ego and power struggles going on right now and Kennedy does NOT want to use George's cut as that would be basically conceding defeat.

I've been gleaning all this from YouTube videos and the occasional article. The stuff I talk about above is rumored to be true, from someone close to the project but none of it is substantiated and should be taken as rumor. If any of it's true tho, it sounds like team Disney does not want any help from Lucas, regardless of how well his cut was rated.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since it's Star Wars... We'll go see it once regardless. But if it's trash I'm done with the franchise forever. TFA was great enough to go see 3 times, TLJ wasted too much time on "sending a message" vs advancing the story. I haven't even tried to re-watch it on Netflix. Shame, because it did have several really great scenes.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
I’ll see it as a rental and likely get it to complete the series but the way the SW franchise has been going and with Disney owning it now I am just waiting for the scene where Wren starts singing and rodents make her a dress so she can be an official Disney Princess.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's that definition of INSANITY.

Even if it's pure 100% crap, I'll still have to watch any Star Wars movie just because I've already seen the first 8 films plus "Rogue One" and that sorry-a$$ "Solo" movie.

Even if it's done by Disney, which I really, really hate. :D

I don't care for George Lucas either. Look what he did with episodes 1, 2, 3.

Only way to make "Star Wars" good again would be to hire some great writers and directors like Christopher Nolan, but he probably hates Star Wars. :D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe I'll watch it when it hits the streaming market, and maybe I won't. I loved the first movie and consider myself a huge fan. I tolerated the ho hum next two, barely tolerated the three prequels, and haven't wasted my time with the last two or three - even for free. Disney had a chance to make a mint on a franchise whose target audience used to be the teenage boy or girl in all of us, instead they threw it away in the name of wokeness. I have zero interest in the man-hater's 'Woke Feminist Adventures of Mary Sue'.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
The worst thing Disney did imo is didn't have a coherent story and a single director for the new trilogy. If your planning a trilogy you need a single team of writers for a vision for the entire story. And a single to director to carry out that vision. These 3 films are just a mess now, it's like they didn't have any plan where the story arcs were going. In Rise of Skywalker they contradict stuff from the Last Jedi, but that's to appease fans of course. But the overall trilogy is a mess.
Rise of Skywalker was a mess just in the way it was directed and cut, it looks thrown together at the last minute. And the Carrie Fischer scenes were cringeworthy, it was obvious it was b-stock blue screen footage they tried to throw together. But then they made her part really big in the film, way longer than necessary.

They should of followed the Lord of the Rings model for a trilogy, a single director a core team of 3 writers for the entire trilogy with a plan for the whole thing.

Otherwise, I'd rather disney just make one off movies with Star Wars such as a prequel showing how Yoda started out as a Jedi for example. I'm not going to invest in any more of their triology stories.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The new movie by JJ Abrams is better than most of the others. It’s not as good as New Hope or Empire Strikes Back but it’s good. I really enjoyed all the action scenes and there are a lot of them. Some of it was on par with the action in the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies. I might go see it again for a second time. I’ll admit Carrie Fisher didn’t give a great performance in this one but no worries, she’s only in a few scenes. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lucas had an outline for a new trilogy that he sold along with Lucasfilm under the impression that Disney was going to use his outline as a template. They completely scrapped it to go with something safer, a la "The Force Awakens". There's a little bit of betrayal going on there that Bob Iger even touches on in his book where he admits he could have been a little more forthcoming with George about their plans.

Rumor is that they had several cuts of this film that didn't test so well with audiences so they reached out to George then scrapped his advice again.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Lucas had an outline for a new trilogy that he sold along with Lucasfilm under the impression that Disney was going to use his outline as a template. They completely scrapped it to go with something safer, a la "The Force Awakens". There's a little bit of betrayal going on there that Bob Iger even touches on in his book where he admits he could have been a little more forthcoming with George about their plans.

Rumor is that they had several cuts of this film that didn't test so well with audiences so they reached out to George then scrapped his advice again.
Ah, I see so Lucas had a plan that Disney didn't want. But going off of the prequel trilogy I'm not so sure I would want the Lucas story lol. I'd have to see it first. You said the Lucas cut did well with test audiences, but I read that Disney didn't want to show it to test audiences so as not to give out any spoilers, so I'm not sure where you heard that rumor.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
The new movie by JJ Abrams is better than most of the others. It’s not as good as New Hope or Empire Strikes Back but it’s good. I really enjoyed all the action scenes and there are a lot of them. Some of it was on par with the action in the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies. I might go see it again for a second time. I’ll admit Carrie Fisher didn’t give a great performance in this one but no worries, she’s only in a few scenes. :)
Do you know that Carrie Fisher died before they started filming this one? So all the footage of her was from random stuff they had lying around before they even made the movie. It was kind of jarring and weird to me.
It was too much action for me, and not much story. And the dialog was just filler to advance the action- "Hey guys, look what that guy did lets go git em!"

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ah, I see so Lucas had a plan that Disney didn't want. But going off of the prequel trilogy I'm not so sure I would want the Lucas story lol. I'd have to see it first. You said the Lucas cut did well with test audiences, but I read that Disney didn't want to show it to test audiences so as not to give out any spoilers, so I'm not sure where you heard that rumor.
Rumors on rumors, I don't remember where I heard that one, but according to that source they did show a Lucas cut that scored a 88% with test audiences. That could easily be bs tho and I fully acknowledge it. I have trouble picturing Lucas going through the trouble to make a cut that tested well and disney rejecting it, after asking for help.

Here's a snippet from an article I just looked up. "Doomcock" is a Youtuber who was proven to be right about all of the other leaks he reported on.

A new rumor indicates Disney will not use a George Lucas cut of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

The rumor comes from YouTuber Doomcock’s sources.

He explains, “There is, according to my source with not only knowledge of the film, but the internal workings of Lucasfilm, a cut of Rise of Skywalker personally fixed by George Lucas". Doomcock adds, “This cut allegedly consists of 30 or so minutes of additional footage and contains a brilliant idea from the mind of George Lucas, a secret Skywalker.”

He then quotes this source:

“Up until recently, I must admit that I thought we were going to do the right thing. I fear I was wrong. What is going on now is horrendous. A circular firing squads of sorts with everyone attempting to divert, deflect, or otherwise blame Mr. Lucas, which is absurd. I guarantee you that his version is a winner that might not get picked because these people are shameful and flipping out that The Mandalorian is successful. There are many agendas going on with this many. To be transparent I have one as well: To release the Lucas version.”
The rest of the article.

If any of that is even remotely true, man...

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Rumors on rumors, I don't remember where I heard that one, but according to that source they did show a Lucas cut that scored a 88% with test audiences. That could easily be bs tho and I fully acknowledge it. I have trouble picturing Lucas going through the trouble to make a cut that tested well and disney rejecting it, after asking for help.

Here's a snippet from an article I just looked up. "Doomcock" is a Youtuber who was proven to be right about all of the other leaks he reported on.

A new rumor indicates Disney will not use a George Lucas cut of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

The rumor comes from YouTuber Doomcock’s sources.

He explains, “There is, according to my source with not only knowledge of the film, but the internal workings of Lucasfilm, a cut of Rise of Skywalker personally fixed by George Lucas". Doomcock adds, “This cut allegedly consists of 30 or so minutes of additional footage and contains a brilliant idea from the mind of George Lucas, a secret Skywalker.”

He then quotes this source:

The rest of the article.

If any of that is even remotely true, man...
Alright, but if that Lucas cut does exist, it will never see the light of day. So there's no point even thinking of it. We have what was shown this weekend for better or worse.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I was just watching Episode 1. I had forgotten just how annoying Jar Jar actually is. LOL :)

M

MTSound

Audioholic Intern
You got me there. I haven't gone to see it yet!

To be fair too, from what I'm hearing ROS is pretty much a big middle finger to TLJ which is something I've already done... lol.

I think that’s all subjective. There were sequences in TFA and TLJ that I picked up on that caused my own personal
speculations that came out in the story line of ROS

Overall it was a great movie. I can’t say it is better than TFA but way better than TLJ and better than all but revenge of the sith from the prequel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

We just got back. It was great! The Leia scenes were a bit awkward but they did the best they could with it. They could have written her out completely but I understand why they didn't.

It was my favorite of the new trilogy. Not one ounce of "Social Justice Wars" just pure "Star Wars" from beginning to end. I was pleasantly pleased. I wouldn't mind going to see it a second time if we get the chance.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Must say that this movie was worse than I expected. Quite disappointed that they managed to get the quality of these movies so low.. Disney really seems to know how to mess up good movies like this new Lion King poop as well.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just saw it. Thoroughly entertained.

In retrospect, nobody will ever be impressed by the old Star Wars if it were new today. It Was Magic! for us, especially if we happened to be just the right age!
Nothing Lucas or anybody else could have done would have lived up to the hype in our own heads, and Eps I-III should be all the evidence you need. Sure they all had their moments.
Of the prequels, III was the most engaging for me. Perhaps it was just because of the final turning of Anakin and the birth of Darth Vader (as we grew up with Vader in our imaginations). But still, IV and V were the best.
The climatic battle between Skywalker, Vader and the Emperor in VI will always be a special moment, cinematically, as well as the culmination of that childhood fantasy...
And that goes for these final 3, too. VII was exciting! JJ Abrams did manage to breathe some life into the story when we all had various expectations. I easily could have allowed myself to be disappointed in it too. Granted VIII was more of a let down, but it was still a pretty good ride compared to everything else I've watched in recent years.
And then IX. Dark this one is. And frankly, a worthy conclusion to a story that some of us have waited almost 42 years to see play out on the Big Screen.

How many epic Star Wars battles did we create in our heads or with our action figures?

It's not surprising that people are unsatisfied.

To each their own. And for me, at least in the short term, I will continue to enjoy them!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis