the onkyo TX-NR838 VS. THE DENON AVR-X4100

N

nick450r

Enthusiast
HAS ANYONE OWNED ANY OF THESE RECEIVERS? IF SO I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE SOME FEED BACK ON THEM....IF YOU HAD TO PICK ONE WHICH ONE WOULD YOU GO WITH? THANKS......I HAVE 2 MARTINLOGAN MOTION 40 SPEAKERS AND AN SVS SB-2000 SUB....THIS SYSTEM FOR MUSIC LISTENING ONLY

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Neither.

What are your requirements? Do you need wi-fi, airplay, etc? Do you need digital connectivity?

Budget?

N

nick450r

Enthusiast
Neither.

What are your requirements? Do you need wi-fi, airplay, etc? Do you need digital connectivity?

Budget?
I AM SO LOST IT INT EVEN FUNNY, I have a pair of klipsch rf-82 ii speakers right now and a svs sb-2000 sub, but cannot settle on a receiver....I am more interested in getting the power needed to get the most out these speakers than I am Wi-Fi, airplay etc...I will be listening to music 80% of the time with this set up. I am thinking about ditching the klipsch for some matinlogan motion 40's or the monitover 8's

N

nick450r

Enthusiast
I was thinking that a 125 watt receiver would be so much better than one only putting out 95 watts, but I see you said that it was really not a big deal, I don't understand ...can you explain please?

N

nick450r

Enthusiast
that was monitor audio silver 8's and my budget on the receiver is under $1000

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If music is your only requirement and you don't need digital connections (optical/coaxial) I suggest getting something a lot less complex than an AVR for your needs.

I like these options for your requirements.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas701bl/yamaha-a-s701-natural-sound-integrated-stereo-amplifier-black/1.html#!specifications

Has a built in DAC, but does not have preouts to connect a power amp. It's also more expensive.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs700bl/yamaha-r-s700-natural-sound-stereo-receiver-bose-901-comp/1.html

Adds a tuner, similar power, has preouts for external amplifier if needed. Does not have digital inputs.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onka9050/onkyo-a-9050-integrated-stereo-amplifier/1.html

Has less power than the Yamahas, has preouts, has digital inputs, no tuner.

N

nick450r

Enthusiast
If music is your only requirement and you don't need digital connections (optical/coaxial) I suggest getting something a lot less complex than an AVR for your needs.

I like these options for your requirements.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas701bl/yamaha-a-s701-natural-sound-integrated-stereo-amplifier-black/1.html#!specifications

Has a built in DAC, but does not have preouts to connect a power amp. It's also more expensive.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs700bl/yamaha-r-s700-natural-sound-stereo-receiver-bose-901-comp/1.html

Adds a tuner, similar power, has preouts for external amplifier if needed. Does not have digital inputs.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onka9050/onkyo-a-9050-integrated-stereo-amplifier/1.html

Has less power than the Yamahas, has preouts, has digital inputs, no tuner.

N

nick450r

Enthusiast
guess you misunderstood me, I do want an a/v receiver, but one more geared towards music listening than watching movies if they make such a beast....I think I will be upgrading my speakers as well....any suggestions seth ...?? right now I have klipsch rf-82ii....I have $1500 to $1800 to blow on a pair of towers..thank you for your insight

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
guess you misunderstood me, I do want an a/v receiver, but one more geared towards music listening than watching movies if they make such a beast....
You said quote: "....THIS SYSTEM FOR MUSIC LISTENING ONLY".

That misunderstanding is not on me.

I think I will be upgrading my speakers as well....any suggestions seth ...?? right now I have klipsch rf-82ii....I have $1500 to $1800 to blow on a pair of towers..thank you for your insight
It sounds like you have no idea what you want and money is burning a whole in your pocket. I suggest go out and listen to as many speakers as you can (not at Best Buy, unless they have Magnolia hi-fi).

Marantz receivers are pretty nice and most offer preouts for adding external amplification if more power is needed.

Good luck.

N

nick450r

Enthusiast
You said quote: "....THIS SYSTEM FOR MUSIC LISTENING ONLY".

That misunderstanding is not on me.

It sounds like you have no idea what you want and money is burning a whole in your pocket. I suggest go out and listen to as many speakers as you can (not at Best Buy, unless they have Magnolia hi-fi).

Marantz receivers are pretty nice and most offer preouts for adding external amplification if more power is needed.

Good luck.
ok seth,.....I have to admit you are right lol.......I am so new to quality audio....I am use to bookshelf systems lol....lmao.....anywho....if you had to pick one these speakers which one would you go with...the polk audio rti-a9, monitor audio silver 8 , martinlogan motion 40.....thanks man for helping me out

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, I have no experience with any of those speakers. I don't believe I can be of any further assistance.

billg71

billg71

Audioholic Intern
Hello to all, I'm new here but have been reading the forum for a while. I just signed up so I could post a reply to nick450r's multiple threads.

I'm curious, has anyone noticed that nick450r seems a bit confused about what he owns and what he wants advice on?

Yesterday morning at 10:40 AM he started his first thread asking how to wire his Onkyo 838 to his Klipsch speakers.

6:17 PM yesterday he started another thread asking advice on which speakers he should buy to replace the Klipsch and says he has a Denon x2100 coming to power them having blown a tweeter with his Yamaha receiver.

4 minutes later at 6:21 PM he posts a thread asking which receiver he should buy to power the Klipsch speakers.

Today at 11:21 AM he posts a thread wanting comparisons between the Onkyo 838 and the Denon 4100, saying he wants to drive his Martin-Logan Motion 40s.

Besides nick450r, am I the only one confused by all this?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Besides nick450r, am I the only one confused by all this?
No. Several of us have tried to help him but he doesn't seem to want to hear what is said and gets pretty nasty about it. A lot of us just gave up on him.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis