The nerve of some salesman

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Only funny thing...

...are the complaints about salesmen doing their jobs...I'll bet he's laffin' all the way to the bank...it's all hype of one sort of another...If you buy this ________(insert product here)...you'll get all the girls, have the good life, better soundstage, hear the inner details, etc.

Sales and morality?

jimHJJ(...don't be naive...)

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Hmmm...

stratman said:
...tell the guys here that BOSE makes the best of anything and their research is legit!!!!!!!!!LOL:D
...Best? Depends on your POV...arguments can be made pro and con re: the use of that word well beyond Bose...

What part of their research isn't legit?

I'm sure you have substantiation for that inference...

jimHJJ(...I'd like to hear it...)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I was rhetorically repeating what you hear 'round these parts.......as for me I don't own BOSE, don't care to, IMO they sound bloated and bass heavy, there is a post somewhere in here that will give you details on BOSE'S research antics.:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Sales and morality?

I've dealt with many upright and honest salesmen over the years, infact the trademark of a real salesman (not the seasonal guy you find in cheap stores or car dealerships)is honesty it builds and keeps your clientele...there's no excuse for dishonesty in any form. Most of the scumbags are seasonal employees that don't care about establishing a buying clientele so the BS flies in order to try and get a quick commision, if that's who you buy from 99 out of 100 you'll get lied to and that my friend is not the salesman's fault but yours.:)

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I'm with you stratman. There are 3 local shops selling various matter of highish to high end gear. One carries Paradigm, Def Tech, Klipsche and a variety of TVs as well as McIntosh, and they aren't exactly the most knowledgeable or helpful and I've never really shipped there much.

I also visited another local one for the first and probably last time this past Thursday. I went in and asked what bookshelf speakers they had in the $500-1000 range since I was just window shopping and wanted to hear a few things. The guy showed nothing but speakers in the $900-1000 range. He then insisted we listen to some cables so we did because I had nowhere else to be and I had never "listened" to high end cables. He continually tried to sell me (a graduate student) on $6500 cables.

Compare that to the shop I have purchased from before (and which gave me great deals) where the first speaker they offered when I asked the exact same question was under $500. They actually remember your name and face (and last time I was there in Feb or March they had $30k/pair Focals on the second floor so I'm at the low end of their clientèle). They don't push anything on you, they're very straightforward and honest and will give you their opinion (the two guys there don't always agree with each other which is sometimes amusing), but never try to upsell you on anything. They haven't once pushed any accessories like cables on me since they know I'm fairly knowledgeable but they will point out some good options like speaker stands and things that are affordable when they've got them.

Their business practices will keep me coming back, unlike the other shop. In fact I'll probably be buying some speakers from them in the next month or month and a half.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
stratman said:
Sales and morality?

I've dealt with many upright and honest salesmen over the years, infact the trademark of a real salesman (not the seasonal guy you find in cheap stores or car dealerships)is honesty it builds and keeps your clientele...there's no excuse for dishonesty in any form. Most of the scumbags are seasonal employees that don't care about establishing a buying clientele so the BS flies in order to try and get a quick commision, if that's who you buy from 99 out of 100 you'll get lied to and that my friend is not the salesman's fault but yours.:)
My job requires me to deal with many Salespeople every day. Over the years I've been able to built up almost a 6th sense on how to tell the good ones from the BSers. You're right, the honest Salesperson, who knows his or her stuff is who I go back to. The BSers are just trying to make a quick buck. And they don't care who they screw to get it. This often screws their employers as much as it screws the customers. We have had many here who would enter fake orders into our system so we would bring in product, just in case someone wanted it later. Then they'd cancel their order. This is fine for gross Sales but costs the company tons of extra money. The bottom line suffers but they don't care. As long as they get their commission. If the company goes under, they just move on to the next sucker.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Kai said:
A fool and his money is soon parted.
An uneducated and unprepared buyer also gets what he/she deserves be it cars, china or speakers.
Overspending occurs more than you think. If you knew the markup on most things you purchase, you'd lose sleep. Jewelry and clothing are some of the worst. Electronics have some of the lowest margins of all products sold. American automobiles aren't too far behind.

I like the Bose example of how marketing and name recognition rival actual quality. It's all in the name. Why do you think people are paying $500 for Dyson vacuum cleaners, when a Hoover can do the same for half the cost?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Kai said:
A fool and his money is soon parted.
An uneducated and unprepared buyer also gets what he/she deserves be it cars, china or speakers.
You can spend alot of money on china? How expensive can a plate get?

Buckle-meister

HiJon89 said:
Meh, happens all the time...
Oh my goodness. Meh has resurfaced! Jaaaaaxxxxxvooooonnnn! :D

stratman said:
And there was me thinking I was special. :( (;))

Buckeyefan 1 said:
It's all in the name. Why do you think people are paying $500 for Dyson vacuum cleaners, when a Hoover can do the same for half the cost?
No loss of suction with a Dyson. Patented. ;)

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
You can spend alot of money on china? How expensive can a plate get?
People say the same thing about speakers you know :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
"He spent $20,000 on those speakers"

"He did? geez he is crazy"

"Yea, I know. He is a complete sucker, and a Raytard"

Viva la Rachel Ray

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Buckle-meister said:
Oh my goodness. Meh has resurfaced! Jaaaaaxxxxxvooooonnnn! :D

And there was me thinking I was special. :( (;))

No loss of suction with a Dyson. Patented. ;)

Come on there's only one MR. B., The next PM of Scotland, just don't forget us Audioalcoholics that have voted for you on your way up.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
There are no reasons for dishonest salesmen. None.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
stratman said:
There are no reasons for dishonest salesmen. None.
Reasons, yes there are. Excuses, no.

Last edited:
emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Seth=L said:
Reasons, yes there are. Accuses, no.
I assume you mean excuses?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
emorphien said:
I assume you mean excuses?
Yes, that is what I meant. I was having a heck of a time trying to remember how to spell it. My stupid brain didn't want to connect the dots. I knew how to spell it, just needed to retrieve it. I have spent to much time in radioactive waste.:D

K

kgb540

Audioholic
I agree that there is no excuse for a dishonest salesman and the guy at this store is as bad as I've ever encountered. In his defense, he has the distinction of being the world's only living brain donor............or was that the customers that buy his lines of B.S.?:rolleyes:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not so sure the salesman was dishonest, just embellishing the story and making it sound like it is the best sub ever with no competition. But to a novice the story sounds impressive.

What he apparently did not do however is find out the needs of the customer and instead went straight for the highest priced sub they sell.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

emorphien said:
People say the same thing about speakers you know :)
Really? For plates & stuff? I knew wine glasses could get mighty pricey, but I assumed a cereal bowl is a ceral bowl.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis