Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Trains

Going back to my childhood, I have always loved trains. I love passenger trains, freight trains, antique trains and model trains (mostly HO scale). Right now, one of my favorite ‘train’ places to visit in the Internet is ‘Virtual Railfan’ in YouTube. These are ‘Live’ webcams of train stations all over the US.

When I was a kid, I loved the TV show ‘The Wild Wild West’ with Robert Conrad and Ross Martin. One of the reasons I loved that show was because of the train that was used in various scenes. That train is now in storage in the Nevada State Railroad Museum. On the show, the exterior shots of the train moving were filmed in Menifee, California back in the 60s.

Anybody else like trains? Tell your stories. Any good train websites that you visit?

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
When I was young we lived right by train tracks in Wichita Kansas I used to love hearing the train go by at night as I was starting to fall asleep

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Kinda have to where I live, we have 8 or so a day roll thru town, which is in a river valley and the sound/vibrations travels pretty good....I've always been a bit of a train fan, as a kid got to go from Chicago to Reno on a train, that was much better than flying to me (had already flown a few times, my dad worked for United at one point). My brother when he last visited for a coupla days got up that first morning and muttered something about the goddam trains :) Apparently he heard each one :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Trains

Going back to my childhood, I have always loved trains. I love passenger trains, freight trains, antique trains and model trains (mostly HO scale).
my forum name should give it away to any lover of trains, certainly steam ! Over the years I've modeled in O, HO and currently Gauge 1 in live steam on my outdoor garden railroad.

Right now, one of my favorite ‘train’ places to visit in the Internet is ‘Virtual Railfan’ in YouTube. These are ‘Live’ webcams of train stations all over the US.
yes, very good railfan sites, luckily I have been to most of them in person. Fairport, NY is near and dear to me for Rochester, NY is where my railroad career began back in '74

Anybody else like trains? Tell your stories.
I had no choice (LOL), I was born into it, I'm third generation railroad. I retired after a 47 year career that began with the Penn Central RR.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
and to play on the OP's title of this thread, this book is a must read for any train lover out there ......

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My Uncle, and to a slightly lesser extent my Dad, was a big train nut. I remember going to some Rail museums when I was younger. Of course, the model trains and electric trains were always fascinating.

While I know some Gen Xers and younger folk that are into trains, it seems more a generational thing with the gap occurring after the Boomers. I always attributed this to the changes that happened after WWII with the spread of automobiles and television becoming more and more common as the years progressed.
Trains became an afterthought in society rather than a romantic possibility. The younger generations didn't look at a passing train and ask, "where can it take me?" (Instead, we looked to the sky and passenger planes and rocket launches. (A generalization to be certain. ;) )

Of course, growing up in Wichita like Danzilla... well, just short of hijacking a combine, the train was probably the only escape! :D :D :D
*blows kiss

That said, I think of growing up and watching old westerns. A western without a Train just seems wrong. ;)

Or else I think about some old Tom Waits...

:cool:

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
While I know some Gen Xers and younger folk that are into trains, it seems more a generational thing with the gap occurring after the Boomers.
This kinda makes me chuckle for as a third generation railroader it has stopped with me. I have two sons, both engineers, yet neither can 'blow the horn' ! They're both PE's !

I do have two grandsons so there is a chance they could pick up on a railroad career perhaps ??

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This kinda makes me chuckle for as a third generation railroader it has stopped with me. I have two sons, both engineers, yet neither can 'blow the horn' ! They're both PE's !

I do have two grandsons so there is a chance they could pick up on a railroad career perhaps ??
There is an unmistakable aspect that Trains hold in the history of the US. ;) Without them, could this country have become what it is? First, a nation bound together with Rails!

To your latter question, friend Mikado... there is always the chance. :)

(Though I still wish my Dad made me learn to code!)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
(Though I still wish my Dad made me learn to code!)
interesting you should say that as well, for my father began his RR career as an agent/operator on the New York Central in Model City, NY and 'CW' was still a way of life back in '49 !

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I knew this thread would be great!

"yes, very good railfan sites, luckily I have been to most of them in person. Fairport, NY is near and dear to me for Rochester, NY is where my railroad career began back in '74"

Lucky man! I hang out on Virtual Railfan daily.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
We had some tracks a few hundred yards behind our house where I grew up in Pittsburgh. Got used to the train sounds at night and it actually helped me sleep. :) When I left the Air Force in San Antonio, I took an Amtrak train home and saw a whole lot of the country I never saw on interstates. A really great experience for a young guy.:):):)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
When I left the Air Force in San Antonio, I took an Amtrak train home and saw a whole lot of the country I never saw on interstates. A really great experience for a young guy.:):):)
David, let me guess, 'Texas Eagle' from San Antonio to Chicago and the 'Capital Ltd' from there to P'burg ......

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
the year is 1956, location 'BV' (Bay View tower, south of Bflo), the operator, my dad.......

ROB Bay View.jpg

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Close. I got off in St Louis with a 6 hour layover then back to the Burg. Took the break to visit the top of the Arch. :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
1979. I was 23 and just out of the USAF. Never rode a train again sadly but going halfway across this great country in a train was an awesome experience. :)

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Mikado, do you remember the old Great Northern (Rocky the goat) and Northern Pacific?
for sure, now all part of Warren Buffets railroad empire, BNSF.

I've had the pleasure of riding the great 'Empire Builder' numerous times between Chgo and the West Coast. usually with a layover at the famous Izaak Walton Inn in Essex, Mt.

Highly recommended stop for anyone, railfan or not !!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis