The Lesser Of Two Evils

A

AmadMan25

Audiophyte
Hi guys, I’ve been snooping around on the forums reading reviews and post for a few months now but today I decided to sign up and post because I have a specific issue. I’m getting ready to close on my 1st home, I LOVE the home, but I’m not fond of the layout of the living room for home theatre. I’m torn between the only two option I have to mount the tv: between two windows or over the fireplace. If I mount over the fireplace I would probably go with a sound bar. I don’t think a center channel would fit with a large tv in that spot. If I went with the window option I’d probably be restricted to the size of tv I could have, although a media stand would be great there.....any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd put blackout or semi blackout shades on the 3 windows, and use a console to display the tv. You can add a drop down projection screen as another option. That gets you a proper LRC speaker setup. Run the surrounds inwall or stand mount and then you can run 4 inceiling for ATMOS upgrade.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The drawback with the TV over the fireplace is that it's life will be shortened if used often with the fireplace heating.

A

AmadMan25

Audiophyte
Any ideas of surround sound speaker mounting positions if I mount the tv over the fireplace? I’m not too fond of mounting the center and surrounds too high up, is eventually want to add atmos speakers in the ceiling.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
When we got our house, what is now the dining room (open room adjacent to the kitchen) was set up as the living room. The mantle above the fireplace is a solid piece of wood that sticks out probably 10" (not at home currently), so a TV could sit right there and we didn't need mounts.

Let me tell you that I HATED having a TV that high. Ideally you want to look ahead and not up. Ever been late to a movie and had to sit in the front row? It gets old quick. If you aren't going to be using the fireplace, then the Mantle Mount linked above would be perfect, with a soundbar used as the center. Otherwise stick with the wall.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
My friend's home is just like this layout except there is no FP...Unfortunately...over the FP looks to be the best wall for the TV especially a wall mounted TV....if you decided down the road to wall off the space from the foyer via dbl French doors, even if you didn't add a door, the space in between the windows might not be a bad spot for a stand mounted TV. I wouldn't be too concerned about blocking part of the windows if I went that route....that will give you the best LCR option enroute to a 5.1 layout.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
I kind of had the same dilemna for my new place. Granted, it's only the living room setup, but I didn't want cables or surround running all over the place. I got a wall mount bracket that can tilt, and put it above the fireplace. It's a bit high for my liking, but it's clean. No underwear showing whatsoever. The TV audio kills me though, so I might get a soundbar and have it centered on the fireplace, you can do the same. Not sure I like the idea of the TV between the windows, for light, and it limits the size unless you don't mind blocking the windows with a bigger TV. My 2¢

A

AmadMan25

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for you suggestions....I think I’ll go the over the fireplace route. Luckily it’s not a big fireplace so the tv won’t be sitting up THAT high....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis