The Headphone Thread! Share Your Gear and Impressions, Etc.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Fun! Well been a big headphone fan since I was a kid and tried just about anything from $10 to $200. My Senns 580 was a phone I wish I had not sold, but needed money at the time. Here is my current gear:
Headphones: Pioneer SE-A1000, Philips SHL-3300, JBL Synchros S500, AT M50's, Yamaha HPH-200 and Pioneer MJ512-K
Earphones:
Klipsch X10 + More. List Coming Soon.
DAP/Amp: Cowon X5/X7, Sandisc Sansa Clip +, Meizu M6 & FIIO E11 Headphone Amp.

I will post some pics soon. :) Please share!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Cheapest ones are HD 201 and Koss - both surprisingly good sound for their price - both around $20-25

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
Headphone:
- Klipsch Image one
- Noontec Zoro HD
- KEF m400 (on their way)

DAC/AMP:
- Ibasso D7

Can't wait to try the m400 ... they should be delivered on Monday!

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Senn Momentum Over the Ear (Gen 1)

HIFIMAN 400i - just got these for Christmas. There was a great deal ($299) running over the Black Friday weekend. I have really been enjoying these cans.

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
Got my m400 yesterday ... didn't have time to listen to them much but i am please so far!

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Here's what I have in my stable. Top to bottom, In order of preference with all things considered. Prices listed are what I paid, NOT MSRP.

I have only recently started in with headphones, I'm behind the curve as compared to many AH'ers.

AKG 845BT for $200. My favorite overall!
Cons: No play/skip/etc controls on the headphones themselves. My ears get hot after a couple hours. Not the best for movers and shakers (a little heavy and tend to slide around when really active).

Sennheiser HD598 SE, paid $105
Great set of phones. Light and comfortable!
Cons: I wish they dug a little deeper on the bass.
But what they do, they do VERY well! On the whole, probably sound even better than the AKG, but AKGs dig deeper.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Now, the AKG and Sennheiser are kind of a toss up for best set that I own. AKG is BT, and Senn is wired.

The bottom 2 are also kind of a toss up, and 1 set is wired and 1 is wireless.

JBL Synchros E40BT, $60
OK for what they are--plastic headphones. SQ is decent.
Cons: Build quality not that great, proprietary charging cable.
Definitely don't pay over $60 for these! I do like them as my beater or travel cans though.

AT ATH-M50, $120
Decent phones, personally I think these are a bit over rated. They are pretty comfortable though.
I used to think they were "bass heavy", but after comparing to the AKG and Senn, I think there may actually be a hump in the FR in the mid-bass. I'm not an expert at picking out the frequencies. But to me, "there is something near the low end that just doesn't quite sound right or natural". Now, on many songs, I don't even notice it. But on some it is annoying to the point that I want to go back to the Senns or AKG. I'm actually considering selling these. I've had them for a while and have maybe 10 or 15 hours on them.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Associated equipment for all headphone comparisons, in various configurations etc.

Parsound ZCD, Pioneer CD File 100 disc changer, FLAC via Samsung Galaxy S6, USP-1 Pre-Amp Headphone Out, Boxed Kit Amp Headphone Amplifier (based on the CMOY topology).

In general, I'm very impressed with BT quality nowadays. I really can't say that I think the wired cans sound better than the BT cans.

And, I can't say that the dedicated headphone amp really sounded any better than the headphone out on the USP-1. It is nice to have the little amp for using wired cans on my phone though.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Slip nice overview. Working on pics should be ready in about 15 min. :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Part One Of Two:

Pioneer SE-A1000
: My go to headphones for Movies/TV show. Just amazing with dialogue, crisp and clear. Puts a big grin on my face when I use them.

Pioneer MJ512-K: These are recent buys. These are a bit veiled overall, but have nice bass. No sibilance, although they are not clear as I would like, but I still like them.

SoundBot SB270 HD Stereo Bluetooth 3.0: These are just ok quality, but not as good as my newer Mpow Swift Bluetooth 4.0 Apt-x earphones. I use these for phonecalls once in a while.

Lenovo Wireless (Not bluetooth. Wireless Dongle) Headphones: These are used for phonecall on the PC or Android Box. They do a good job, although the SQ could be better and crisper.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Part Two Of Two.

Philips SHL-3300:
Caught these on sale for 15 bucks on xmas sales and they come very close to the JBL S500 SQ. These are not comfy to wear(Clamping was painful after a few minutes), so I had them stretching for a couple days, which did nothing, so I carefully bended the top of them and now they fit better. SQ is just amazing. Highs, Mids and Low all there. I plan to use these as a portable cans.

Yamaha HPH-200: I bought these used recently. I was looking for backup for my Pioneers 1000, but more portable. These come close to the Pioneers, although the soundstage/Airiness is good the Pioneers are better. Very crisp and nice balanced bass. I'm shocked how good these are.

AT M50: I bought these used about 5 years ago. I really like these, although at time the sibilance is a bit too much. I don't use these often, only once in a while.

JBL Synchros S500: I bought these last year refurbed ebay sale. These are hands down the best headphones for music period. The measurement on headfi were better than the S700. Love them! You need to try these BSA, since you have their monitors.

Cowon X5/X7, Sandisc Sansa Clip + and Meizu M6: I use all of them. SQ is sensational on all of them.

Thank you!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Come on TLSGuy, J. Garcia, psbfan9, KEW, Mac, Rojo, Fuzz, Adam, etc. Show us your headphone gear. :)

Last edited:
Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
My only set of headphones...

The Sennheiser HD 555
hd555_800.jpg

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Come on TLSGuy, J. Garcia, psbfan9, KEW, Mac, Rojo, Fuzz, Adam, etc. Show us your headphone gear. :)
Don't look at me- I have a pair of klipsch in ears for flying only and an old pair of wireless Sonys for bedtime viewing.
They both work fine but I have no definitive opinion on either..I like real speakers

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Don't look at me- I have a pair of klipsch in ears for flying only and an old pair of wireless Sonys for bedtime viewing.
They both work fine but I have no definitive opinion on either..I like real speakers
Which klipsch Mac?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis