The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest BD

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Watched this one from Netflix tonight. It was a nice final episode to the series. There isn't really any action in this one, it is primarily story, as they are trying to wrap everything up. It picks up right where the second one left off and both gives additional back story to the characters and brings everything to light. As with the others, this one is grainy at times, but looks pretty decent for the most part. If you liked the first two (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Girl Who Played with Fire), you will most likely want to watch this one as well IMO. I won't say it wasn't as good as the others, but it is definitley slow, however like the last one, it is easy to get lost in the story and the characters and the roughly 2 1/2hrs passes pretty quickly. Worth a rent, certainly for those who have seen and enjoyed the others.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Watched this one from Netflix tonight. It was a nice final episode to the series. There isn't really any action in this one, it is primarily story, as they are trying to wrap everything up. It picks up right where the second one left off and both gives additional back story to the characters and brings everything to light. As with the others, this one is grainy at times, but looks pretty decent for the most part. If you liked the first two (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Girl Who Played with Fire), you will most likely want to watch this one as well IMO. I won't say it wasn't as good as the others, but it is definitley slow, however like the last one, it is easy to get lost in the story and the characters and the roughly 2 1/2hrs passes pretty quickly. Worth a rent, certainly for those who have seen and enjoyed the others.
Thanks. I am about to watch it tonight:D The first two are hard movies to watch at times but very good.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure me and the Missus will be renting this, soon! I've only watched the theatrical versions but my wife has also read the novels and really enjoyed both. AAMOF...she was telling me that Hollywood is thinking of filming their own version of these novels...something tells me we'll likely perfer the original(Swedish) version better...:).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I'm sure me and the Missus will be renting this, soon! I've only watched the theatrical versions but my wife has also read the novels and really enjoyed both. AAMOF...she was telling me that Hollywood is thinking of filming their own version of these novels...something tells me we'll likely perfer the original(Swedish) version better...:).
Soon? You need to rush out and watch it right now! :D

While it is not packed with action as the first two, the film is well done for the conclusion of the saga and appropriate for the follow on to the last film and trial.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Soon? You need to rush out and watch it right now! :D

While it is not packed with action as the first two, the film is well done for the conclusion of the saga and appropriate for the follow on to the last film and trial.
Agreed. It is probably one of the few series that wrapped everything up that nicely. The series as a whole isn't about action, and this one fit in perfectly with the others.

I heard that they were considering a US reshoot of the series, but by now most have already seen these, so I am not sure there would be a point. Noomi Rapace, the girl who plays Lisbeth Selander, said she would not be interested in the role again as well.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I ordered this and got it last week. It was a very tidy final movie. I liked it but it did not seem to have the edginess of the first two films.

The US remakes are already in production.

Daniel Craig is playing Mikel Blomkvist and Lisbeth is being played by Rooney Mara.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
That's funny that you find the movie slow, because I thought that of the 3 books, this one was the most "page-turning" for me. Even though Lisbeth is in a hospital for most of the book and the rest is basically court stuff, I found myself riveted. I just finished the book last week. I think Blockbuster is sending me the BD today.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's funny that you find the movie slow, because I thought that of the 3 books, this one was the most "page-turning" for me. Even though Lisbeth is in a hospital for most of the book and the rest is basically court stuff, I found myself riveted. I just finished the book last week. I think Blockbuster is sending me the BD today.
Slow in terms of there not being "action", even compared to the first two, which also aren't what you would call action movies. I enjoyed this one, but the pace is much mellower than the previous two, even though the contiuing of the story is just as good.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
These 3 films are what's edited down from a 3 hour cinematic release (Dragon), then a 9 hour mini-series that aired on Swedish television. The last 2 films obviously show the scale back to TV cinematography. It was re-released as the 3 films and they did a good job, but there's about 6 hours worth of content left on the cutting room floor. I'll get Hornets Nest next week. In April there will be a release with English subs of the complete, uncut first film along with all 9 hours of the mini-series.

The remake(s) are a 3 film deal done by David Fincher. I doubt it will be a hack job, though it will be in English, everyone sporting Swedish accents.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I started reading the first book on my Kindle app and even in just the first chapter there is already a LOT more information that did not make it to the movie, and as with all book to movie transitions not all of that information is necessary to get the idea across on film. I enjoyed the films, but will most likely end up reading the books. I have been waiting to see if they would release the whole series either for streaming or on disc, so we'll just have to wait I guess.

Fincher doing the US versions? Might be decent then.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
How hot was the chick that played Figuerola? I picture her being pretty damned hot.

Blomquist is like James Bond. He's always banging multiple chicks in each book. :D

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
How hot was the chick that played Figuerola? I picture her being pretty damned hot.
Bummer. I just IMDB'd her, she's not that hot. But the girl they've got playing Eriksson is pretty cute. I'm sure she has a tiny role in the movie though.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I ordered this and got it last week. It was a very tidy final movie. I liked it but it did not seem to have the edginess of the first two films.

The US remakes are already in production.

Daniel Craig is playing Mikel Blomkvist and Lisbeth is being played by Rooney Mara.

]
Well, after seeing the 3 movies that are out, not sure I would be really interested in the US version. I kind of got used to Lisbeth on those films and this one just doesn't fit for me.
Almost like re-shooting Star Wars with a whole new batch of actors even though I liked the new version of Battle star Galactica series.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, after seeing the 3 movies that are out, not sure I would be really interested in the US version. I kind of got used to Lisbeth on those films and this one just doesn't fit for me.
Almost like re-shooting Star Wars with a whole new batch of actors even though I liked the new version of Battle star Galactica series.
Kind of like Let the Right One In vs the US remake Let Me In. I am waiting for Let Me In, but I don't have great expectations for it. Let the Right One In was an excellent movie to begin with, so I am not sure what they could "improve", but at least it looks like they used the same kids as the main characters who played in the original.

Another would be La Femme Nikita and the US remake Point of No Return. The remake was well done, being the same director, and Bridget Fonda is hot and did a decent job with the character. The remake just lacked something that the original had.

Noomi Rapace did an excellent job as Lisbeth, most notably when the situation required a deadpan face of someone who has been through a lot, she nailed it. She came across as both hardened and tough but soft and fragile when necessary. The performance came across as very believable.

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Kind of like Let the Right One In vs the US remake Let Me In. I am waiting for Let Me In, but I don't have great expectations for it.
I wasn't too keen on seeing Let Me In until I saw that the girl playing Ellie was the crazy foul-mouthed girl from Kick-***. That's what makes me want to see it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

....Noomi Rapace did an excellent job as Lisbeth, most notably when the situation required a deadpan face of someone who has been through a lot, she nailed it. She came across as both hardened and tough but soft and fragile when necessary. The performance came across as very believable.
I think this must be it. She nailed it, even that very small smile towards or at the end of the trial. To me, she did a superb job. I am not familiar with that US actress but the picture just doesn't do anything for me, not right now.

Boy, the court system is sooo different there.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
In this months Canadian reader digest there is a great interview with Noomi Rapace...for you all to read. Apparently she took this role to heart and took up kick boxing, tae kwon do, shaved her head did body piercing just to perfect this role. People around her thought she was losing it...because of all the chnages she went through, but she killed her role in this movie...very well done on her part.:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I wasn't too keen on seeing Let Me In until I saw that the girl playing Ellie was the crazy foul-mouthed girl from Kick-***. That's what makes me want to see it.
It looked like the same kids, but I didn't check the cast list. That's cool, that girl is a pretty good actress.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Let Me In was pretty good. But they didn't really do anything other than just remake the movie with English actors.

As for Hornet's Nest, I actually liked it the least of the 3 movies. It might be because with the other 2, I actually saw the movies before I read the books. With this one I read the book first. I felt there were too many things left out. The movie didn't do a very good job of explaining how Clinton and the guys from SIS were involved with Zalachenko and how they were operating atonomously from the rest of the Swedish Secret Service. I kind of felt that if I hadn't read the book first I would have been lost.

Also, there was a lot more court room intrigue in the book. And there was a romance between Blomquist and Figuerola that they left out completely. The ending of the book was much better. The movie didn't explain why Salander was so stand-offish towards Mikeal. It was because she had fallen in love with him at the end of the first book, but got pissed when she saw Mikael with Erika. But Mikael ended up getting with Figuerola and ending things with Erika in the 3rd book and at the end Salander kind of forgave Mikael and they became friends again. I thought that was a much better way to end the trilogy than what they did in the movie.

Last edited:
R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I finally got a chance to watch this movie last night. I enjoyed it. Obviously, much was left out of the story, but what was shown was easy enough to follow and satisfied me. I went to the library today to borrow Dragon...all of their 20 copies were out with 5 holds. Looks like I'll have to wait or breakdown and buy them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis