The Curved Monitor Conspiracy Theory Solved Once and For All

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The future of the audiophile and home theater hobby is not based on believing in technological voodoo. The future isn’t based on anti-science hyperbole, but some conspiracy theories are based on facts. Why are curved monitors becoming popular while curved displays went by the wayside a decade ago?

spock.jpg

Read: The Curved Monitor Conspiracy Theory Solved

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
“I wasn’t gonna pick up you two coastal-intellectual, Hunter-Biden-lovin’ liberals from Los Angeles. The other two Uber drivers weren’t going to pick you up. So…” - Yeah, I'll take "Complete and Utter Horseshit That Never Happened" for $500, Alex...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
After "articles" like this, I'd strongly consider removing Jerry from AH writers' lists if I were Gene.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
“I wasn’t gonna pick up you two coastal-intellectual, Hunter-Biden-lovin’ liberals from Los Angeles. The other two Uber drivers weren’t going to pick you up. So…” - Yeah, I'll take "Complete and Utter Horseshit That Never Happened" for $500, Alex...
I'll take "Who hasn't watched Jeopardy in a while" for $100, Mayim. ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The sad part is I was always curious about curved TVs as well. Why were they supposedly an improvement over flat counterparts. I was interested. I have to assume the whole first part of the article was satire. Nobody truly looks at the world through that thick of a political ideological lens do they?

And I'm not talking about the driver I'm talking about the author of this article.

Why does literally 3/4ths of every article by this writer have to be about politics or something about this authors personal life rather then the questions the article is supposed to answer?

I mean if it was satire playing off of conspiracy theories to tie into the TV monitor conspiracy theory theme I get what he was trying to do. It just didn't work out very well.

I'm just so sick of fu#$ing politics man. So maybe part of my reaction is on me

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's not just his "humor" that looks awfully like ranting, but even if I probably support the same party as Jerry, I can't see this as coherent writing, nor belonging on the AUDIO site. Not everything in life is about politics. Something all I want to read about is A/V. Not our sad state of affairs.

Maybe Jerry took too much to heart this idea and overdone it?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The sad part is I was always curious about curved TVs as well. Why were they supposedly an improvement over flat counterparts. I was interested. I have to assume the whole first part of the article was satire. Nobody truly looks at the world through that thick of a political ideological lens do they?

And I'm not talking about the driver I'm talking about the author of this article.

Why does literally 3/4ths of every article by this writer have to be about politics or something about this authors personal life rather then the questions the article is supposed to answer?

I mean if it was satire playing off of conspiracy theories to tie into the TV monitor conspiracy theory theme I get what he was trying to do. It just didn't work out very well.

Agreed Dan, time of year it's in our face 24/7, can't wait to get the mid-terms behind us and then we get to start on 2024, Yuck !!

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
I'd like to explore the science of curved vs. flat screens. If a 49" curved screen is better than flat, at what size is curved no longer a benefit? Could it be a function of viewing distance, rather than display size? Maybe it's a function of # of viewers, and curved means a smaller sweet spot so only works for a single viewer.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I have the LG C6 65" in my bedroom and love it. The 3D is great, the Dolby Vision, black levels, everything about it is superb. I do think a curved TV is a gimmick but LG did that because they had the first bendable OLED panel and did all sorts of weird marketing things with it. I would say for gaming, a curved panel is not bad if you are up by it but at a distance it's fairly useless. People see products in completely different lights based on what they believe they're used for. Curved displays are primarily for gamers and the effects rely on the seating distance.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'd like to explore the science of curved vs. flat screens. If a 49" curved screen is better than flat, at what size is curved no longer a benefit? Could it be a function of viewing distance, rather than display size? Maybe it's a function of # of viewers, and curved means a smaller sweet spot so only works for a single viewer.
A curved screen could work very well on a desktop if it's big. But for a TV? Not so much unless very close, and was one reason I waited for so long to buy an OLED.

L

luis1090

Audioholic Intern
After "articles" like this, I'd strongly consider removing Jerry from AH writers' lists if I were Gene.
...and I bet that if the article was written with the opposite political point of view you would be requesting a raise for the writer.
(P.S. good thing you aren't Gene)

J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
Hey, unless your computer monitor is huge (which none are), I understand why they have gone away.

As to TV's, there really is no reason for curved TV's unless they are at least 12 feet wide. Even then, I'm dubious that this huge and incredibly expensive TV is really offering a better viewing experience. A gigantic flat screen never bothered me in a movie palace.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
...and I bet that if the article was written with the opposite political point of view you would be requesting a raise for the writer.
I'm from the opposing political viewpoint. The fellas on here know I'm strongly conservative and if we had a writer doing this with conservative viewpoints in an article I'd he making the same request that @BoredSysAdmin is doing.

I want to learn audio from an article not have 3/4ths of it be about your politics and really not get a clear answer on the articles points. This isn't the first time this writer has had these complaints in his articles and it's been very nonpartisan across the board. Which is a good indicator that the readers may have some legit complaints.

I do agree with your point about free speech. The author is free to write it but we the members of this forum are also free not to like it. A lot of us are burnt out by politics and would really like to escape into our hobby.

I don't mean to speak for him but I do believe from forum interactions I've observed that @BoredSysAdmin is liberal. The members here sometimes argue in the steam vent but for the most part the majority of us get along despite our political leanings. That's a compliment to our members. There was a time in society where we could disagree about politics and still get along. Nice to know that spirit is still alive on this site.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, unless your computer monitor is huge (which none are), I understand why they have gone away.

As to TV's, there really is no reason for curved TV's unless they are at least 12 feet wide. Even then, I'm dubious that this huge and incredibly expensive TV is really offering a better viewing experience. A gigantic flat screen never bothered me in a movie palace.
I've always wondered if a curved screen could help with off axis viewing on a big TV or projector screen. Maybe it doesn't though. It would seem to me to be counterproductive for off axis viewing. Maybe members that are familiar with the science behind TV screens could elaborate more

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
here is My point
here are empty miles and mile of air
here is your understanding of my point.

Or, in other words - Big freaking Wooosh to you, sir.

As Dan said correctly, I am liberal in my views. I am old and patient enough to be willing to listen to other opinions and come up with my own. Jerry seems to be liberal as well, ie, we likely support the same ideas/party, yet I specifically oppose not his political views but this writing style and unnecessary bringing politics into audio.
I don't know if I could possible said any clearer.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You guys actually read the articles?;) Didn’t read it and don’t care. Watched a movie on a curved theater screen back in the 80s. Sucks altogether. Still have nightmares. Never again on any size screen.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You guys actually read the articles?;) Didn’t read it and don’t care. Watched a movie on a curved theater screen back in the 80s. Sucks altogether. Still have nightmares. Never again on any size screen.
Why I even read the articles in my Playboy and Hustler magazines I'll have you know good sir. :D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I just thought everybody skipped the articles to have a look at the big set of, um, woofers. Yeah, that's it, woofers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis