The Crown XLS DriveCore Thread

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Several members have posted experiences with the Crown XLS Drivecore amps. They seem to be a very viable option for high-fidelity audio systems, because they're inexpensive, incredibly powerful, high-tech as all get-out, have the best combination of I/O for home (both RCA and XLR inputs, the superior SpeakOn connector for outputs) aand are certified as electrically safe by an OSHA-approved NRTL*. The practical downsides are that they're a bit ugly, contain fans that in theory could at some point be audible (though I've yet to read a report of objectionable fan noise from one), make a tall (6RU) stack if one uses them for three biamped front mains (three amps required), and don't have 12V triggers. Otherwise, they really have no downsides. So, a few questions to those who have used them:

1) If you have them on a signal-sensing power strip, did that cause them to be noisy?

2) Have you ever heard the fans come on from the listening position?

3) When the fans come on, how close do you have to be from the amp to hear them?

4) If you have one hooked up to mains, is there any hissing? If so, how close does one need to be to hear it, and how efficient are your mains?

*Unlike, sadly, many "consumer" amps. I don't know if the firms that eschew safety testing from an OSHA approved NRTL are too lazy to send a unit in, too cheap to foot the bill (in which case one has to wonder what other corners were cut...), or just don't have sufficient regard for their customers. (Or some of all three.) But I would never recommend bringing a high-voltage and high-current device without NRTL safety certification into a home.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I will test some points tonight. :D

Play for few hours and listen for SQ, Fan Noise, & Noise Floor (hissing).

I don't have signal-sensing power strip, though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why is the Crown CT8150 DriveCore so expensive? It's only 125wpc x 8ch = $2500.:eek:

Wouldn't 4 of the Crown XLS1000 be better? 215wpc x 8ch = $1200. :D

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Why is the Crown CT8150 DriveCore so expensive? It's only 125wpc x 8ch = $2500.:eek:

Wouldn't 4 of the Crown XLS1000 be better? 215wpc x 8ch = $1200. :D
Well...CT8150 (and its Lexicon DD-8 near-twin) is fanless, only 1RU high, and has a 12V trigger. Four XLS1k's have a noisier design (something about a DSP codec on the main chip, rather than an outboard one like all the other DriveCore amps) and would be 8x as tall a stack as one CT8150. No 12V trigger, either.

That's one amp that I want to see measurements for in Stereophile or Home Theater. The only red flag is that it doesn't increase power from 8Ω to 4Ω. (Well, it may, but it's not rated to do so.) If driving three biamped mains and possibly two surrounds, that's probably not an issue. Hmm...a miniDSP 10x10HD for processing (mine should be on its way to me as I type :) ), eight 125W channels for biamped LCR and a pair of surrounds, and some combination of 4-8 channels adding up to 4kW for subs, all in 4 RU, and all with 12V triggers...that sounds damn near ideal to me.

Also, Crown has always priced for the "installed sound" market much higher than their "pro" amps. For example, the XTi and DSi amps (I think I have that right) are basically identical except for I/O: the XTi has "pro" I/O (XLR/SpeakOn) and the DSi has "installed sound" I/O (Phoenix terminals). The DSi 2000 is double the price of the XTi 2002.

Still, the LexiCrown's price seems fair to me. While its closest competitor, the Ashly NE8250, is a bit cheaper, it's also 2RU, fanned, and has no 12V trigger. And I just spent more for a 2RU Class D pro amp with a fan, albeit one that is rated for double the LexiCrown's power at 8Ω, and quadruple the LexiCrown's power at 4Ω.:)

So I bet I'll buy a LexiCrown in a few years (probably the black Lexicon, unless there's a killer closeout price on the Crown variant), when I get tired of looking at that huge Sherwood Newcastle A-965.

Last edited:
D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
He just leaves them on all the time. Screw mother earth :D
You raise a good point.

Class D amps seem to generate more heat when idling than when in use. Don't know why, but that was the case with the Peavey IPR 3000, that is the case with my ElectroVoice CPS 8.5, and was even the case with my old Panasonic XR55 AVR. So unless the amp has a built-in standby-after-no-signal routine, I wouldn't leave it on all the time. That's a surefire way to reduce its lifespan.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been listening to the Crown XLS2500 for about 2 hours now.

Stereophile Bypass mode.

CRown Amp hooked to the Denon 5308 rear AC outlet.

Speakers: Salon2.

Music - Demo CD Dennis sent me with Phil3, "Superman" (Five For Fighting), "Hotel California", "Going Under" (Evanescence, acoustic version), "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" (Death Cab For Cutie", Time After Time" (Eva Cassidy).

Noise Floor:
Ear 1 cm from tweeter - can hear soft hiss noise (sideway)
Nose 1 cm from tweeter - silent (front)

Fan Noise:
Ear 1 cm from front panel - can hear soft breeze
Nose 1 cm from front panel - can barely hear soft breeze
Nose 6 inches from front panel - silent

Amp Temp: Very cool. Not even a little warm. Denon is actually warmer than Crown amp.

SQ: sounds just as good as AT3002.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Other than looks, does the crown have any advantages over the peavey IPR 3000? The peavey is more powerful, but is it louder than the crown?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Other than looks, does the crown have any advantages over the peavey IPR 3000? The peavey is more powerful, but is it louder than the crown?
Louder, has less connections like no speaker posts - only has speakon. Is there an RCA input?

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Yes. Based on reports of the XLS and my experience with the IPR, at least.

Others covered the other main advantage: RCA inputs. (I don't consider having binding posts an advantage, because the SpeakOn is such a superior connector. That said, the IPR uses generic Chinese SpeakOn terminals, not Neutriks, and the action is not as smooth or refined as the real thing. If you care about that.)

But don't forget the potential advantage the IPR offers, in addition to more power: much lower input voltage requirements. The gain on them is sky-high. The IPR 3000 only needs like 0.8Vrms to put out max power! The Crowns are roughly double that. The super high gain probably makes the IPR's unsuitable for high-efficiency mains (I never tried when I had mine) but for subs, especially if you're using an unbalanced miniDSP for processing, high gain is a very material advantage.

I do wish Peavey would get their act together and release their Crest ProLite amps, which are basically "IPR's for adults" (because they look so much classier). They've been vaporware for like two years now, along with the more powerful IPR's.

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
I do wish Peavey would get their act together and release their Crest ProLite amps, which are basically "IPR's for adults" (because they look so much classier). They've been vaporware for like two years now, along with the more powerful IPR's.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the Crest Pro Series??? if so, why on earth would you want a touring grade amp and one that also puts out 6500w bridged at 4ohms???....
In a touring grade amp you are paying for support and power supplies that you don't need for a home system. Oh and one that requires a 30amp supply.....

Unless i am totally wrong here......

Gordon

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Are you referring to the Crest Pro Series??? if so, why on earth would you want a touring grade amp and one that also puts out 6500w bridged at 4ohms???....
In a touring grade amp you are paying for support and power supplies that you don't need for a home system. Oh and one that requires a 30amp supply.....

Unless i am totally wrong here.....
You are, in fact, totally wrong here. :)

Crest announced a line called "ProLite" I think two years ago that were basically the IPR's with slightly stouter power supplies, thicker metal chassis, fewer blue LED's, and black finish. They've announced two models, most recently (about 11mos ago) the ProLite 3.0, aka IPR 3000 for adults.

Crest press release said:
Crest Audio Pro-LITE Series amps are built on an advanced, high-speed class D design with a switch-mode power supply that reduces weight while increasing reliability, thermal efficiency and output power. The Pro-LITE3.0 and Pro-LITE 3.0 DSP boast 870 watts per channel at 4 ohms stereo (up to 3,150 watts bridged @ 4 ohms), weigh 13.3 lbs., and deliver rock-solid performance in parallel, stereo and bridged modes. The robust power supply allows these amplifiers to deliver consistent, stable performance with low frequencies and at 2-ohm operation. ***

The previously announced Crest Audio Pro-LITE 2.0 and Pro LITE 2.0 DSP power amplifiers boast the same features at a weight of 11.6 lbs. with power ratings of 985W per channel at 2 ohms; 540W per channel at 4 ohms; 280W per channel at 8 ohms; and 1,970W bridged at 4 ohms.

The Crest Audio Pro-LITE 3.0 and Pro-LITE 3.0 DSP will be available in Q4 2011 from authorized Crest Audio dealers.
Neither one seems to be available, unfortunately. Full Compass has listed the ProLite 2.0 as "3-4 weeks to delivery" (paraphrasing) since roughly January.

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
Well then I stand corrected.

Are you rack mounting these amps or just sitting them on a shelf?

Gordon

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Well then I stand corrected.

Are you rack mounting these amps or just sitting them on a shelf?

Gordon
I don't have one of these, but I think they're interesting. The pro amp I do have, an ElectroVoice CPS 8.5 sits on a thin piece of wood under a daybed. I prefer my audio electronics heard and not seen.

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
I don't have one of these, but I think they're interesting. The pro amp I do have, an ElectroVoice CPS 8.5 sits on a thin piece of wood under a daybed. I prefer my audio electronics heard and not seen.
Then take a look at the Middle Atlantic Product racks. Pro stuff designed for installation work but they have a studio line for post edit locations and such that might fit for you. You can also get front doors of different types. Remember that if you enclose the gear you may need to vent the rack depending on the heat loads that you are experiencing.

Middle Atlantic Products
Middle Atlantic Products - Edit Center Equipment Racks

You can buy all of their product form Sweet Water and the like.

And since that EV is under a bed on the floor keep track of the dust intake - dust bunnies are bad :D

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
I spoke with the President/GM of Peavey Commercial Audio about the Crest Pro-Lite 3.0 today and he said -

"The Crest ProLite 3.0 is not shipping yet as I am waiting on our FCC and safety certifications to be completed.* I do expect to have these shipping before the end of Q2, however.
The ProLite 2.0 is available and shipping."

So, just I case you were wondering the status...

Gordon

jinjuku

jinjuku

1) If you have them on a signal-sensing power strip, did that cause them to be noisy?
I didn't and I doubt it.

2) Have you ever heard the fans come on from the listening position?

3) When the fans come on, how close do you have to be from the amp to hear them?
Not even next to the unit with my hand behind it feeling the airflow could you hear the fan.

4) If you have one hooked up to mains, is there any hissing? If so, how close does one need to be to hear it, and how efficient are your mains?
Any hissing is likely to come from the Tweeter. The XLS 1000 DriveCore had no more hiss than the Parasound HCA1000A on my Statements.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis