The Center, Left and Right

splatterman49

splatterman49

Enthusiast
So I'm at the point to where I'm exploring a couple options and really in debate as to what route to go..

Recently I upgraded my receiver (Sony STRDH790) and my center channel (Sony SSCS8). I've always kind of had a frankenstein setup and I started to take the steps towards having a more uniform sound with brands and such... but am looking for some further insight..

I am currently running a 7.2 with my towers being Sony SS-MF750H's.. Overall I am happy with the setup but I'm having difficulty finding that happy medium when there's quiet conversations and I am usually bouncing up and down a couple notches on certain movies. I am in a very open style living area (20x20') but still feel like it can be better.. So! I have a couple things in mind and would like a little bit more experienced opinion as to the preferable route I should take...

With the Black Friday deals and such I have been eyeballing the Klipsch R820F's Towers but feel like I will be chasing the Frankenstein again having Sony Center, surrounds and Klipsch towers... but my towers were a pawn shop find for $40. Should I upgrade the towers now and then the center since the sscs8's hold its own until I get the Klipsch center? And if so what Klipsch Center channel is best?

Also I have been doing some research into including a amplifier into my setup to reduce strain on my receiver and give as extra little oomf.. but still not entirely certain what route I am to take with that whole ordeal.

I am certainly open to other brand suggestion but I want to keep it under $300 per channel.

Oh and I'm sure I've missed a few things here and there so ask away if you need more info. Thanks in advance

Sent from my IN2020 using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On the center level thing, are you raising the master volume or just the center channel level for dialog? Is the center positioned optimally? How far are you from the speakers? Some dialog is simply mixed that way, too.

Ideally the three across the front would be the same speaker....the typical center design is a compromise for horizontal placement under a tv. For three towers an acoustically transparent screen would be needed, tho sometimes you can accommodate three identical bookshelf style speakers with a tv.

I wouldn't worry about getting new speakers and using the old center (or just go phantom center) while you save up/decide on the next step; Klipsch usually has a matching center for their various models.

As to adding an external amp to your avr, you chose the wrong avr as it does not have pre-outs (except for subs) to accommodate such. The Klipsch tend to be of sufficient sensitivity where your avr is likely quite sufficient, tho.

Last edited:
splatterman49

splatterman49

Enthusiast
On the center level thing, are you raising the master volume or just the center channel level for dialog? Is the center positioned optimally? How far are you from the speakers? Some dialog is simply mixed that way, too.

Ideally the three across the front would be the same speaker....the typical center design is a compromise for horizontal placement under a tv. For three towers an acoustically transparent screen would be needed, tho sometimes you can accommodate three identical bookshelf style speakers with a tv.

I wouldn't worry about getting new speakers and using the old center (or just go phantom center) while you save up/decide on the next step; Klipsch usually has a matching center for their various models.

As to adding an external amp to your avr, you chose the wrong avr as it does not have pre-outs to accommodate such. The Klipsch tend to be of sufficient sensitivity where your avr is likely quite sufficient, tho.
I'm raising the master volume up and down.. I've tinkered with the center channel to better things. Center channel is positioned optimally.. 14' away.

Sent from my IN2020 using Tapatalk

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Most klipsch have dropped crazy in price on multiple sites. The 8000F is going for 499 and 6000F is like 299. Even higher end klipsch are in the 500 range or less. Also everything else as well too, centers, etc. the Sony 3 way towers which are in the same line as your center are a 100 each at Best Buy along with a pair of books for 100. 300 will get you 5 channels.

But I would look around, there are some really good deals going around on speakers. I see the receivers aren’t dropping much, somethings got to go this year and it’s the speakers

WorldWide Stereo is one, I’ll see if I can locate some other sites. I’ve been searching the last few days
SafeandSound has some.

Also you can always go with paradigm 6000F's 375 or 3000F's 275

Last edited:
M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Best buy got the R-820F for 249.99 as well, 8" and 600 watts if youre still interested in klipsch

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Pioneer Andrew Jones line is very good sounding also but the Sony are cheaper I think .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis