The BI-AMPED crossover frequency of the Klipsch RP8000F

W

WJGJ

Audioholic Intern
I have read the Audioholics review of the Klipsch RP8000F, and understand that the crossover frequency was stated as 1750hz.

If you're bi-amping this speaker, does it mean that the lower speaker cables connected to the lower binding posts are for frequencies below 1750hz, and the upper speaker cables connected to the upper binding posts are for frequencies above 1750hz?

Thanks for your advice folks!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have read the Audioholics review of the Klipsch RP8000F, and understand that the crossover frequency was stated as 1750hz.

If you're bi-amping this speaker, does it mean that the lower speaker cables connected to the lower binding posts are for frequencies below 1750hz, and the upper speaker cables connected to the upper binding posts are for frequencies above 1750hz?

Yes, but there are no real benefits to passive biamping, especially with an AVR.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Yes, but the majority of the power will be below 1750, so bi-amping does not significantly increase the power available and so is a waste of time. In fact it is worse than a waste of time as power demands over time are all over the place on a moment by moment basis, and once you do what you propose, then one amp can not help the other out. So one more powerful amp is a much better solution.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In a passive setup, the signal on the wires going to the top and bottom halves is still the full signal. The x-over is doing the filtering after amplification, which is part of why a passive biamp setup has less benefit. A X-over is not a brick wall either, there is a slope associated so it isn't simply above and below one fixed frequency.

8821T

Audiophyte

Well most of the power will be below 1750hz

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis