The best remote I have EVER seen. ($250)

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050517/index.html

The product has just been released in the US (880) and will be available in Europe in mid-May (885). It's the first model developed jointly with Logitech, and you can tell. It's a handsome, restrained object, as is customary with Logitech.

The first thing you notice is the color LCD display. Color may not be indispensable, but it means better contrast for better legibility. The function buttons are harmoniously integrated into the curves of the remote. It's very comfortable to hold and is quite light. It operates on a built-in rechargeable battery and recharges simply by placing it on the dock provided. As an ultimate luxury, the backlighting comes on as soon as you pick it up and goes out as soon as you put it down on the table!

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
yeah these have been around for a little bit, im not sure about this model exactly but harmony remotes are supposed to be pretty awesome..

just plug it into the usb and it downloads all the remote information specific to all your hardware.. good idea.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
Thanks a bunch. ;) I was set on getting the 659 model, now I have to go research again!

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just read a Popular mechanics which had othing nice to say about universal remotes in general.

Personally I've got the RadioShack ElKameleon (which looks really cool). But there aren't enough controld to work the disk changer on my 300-disk SONY CD player, and not nearly enough controls for my DishNetwork+DVR remote. But it does control my JVC DVD player, JVC TV, and Pioneer AVR (well just switching. Have to use original remote to set it up initially).

So really I have 3 remotes instead of 5. Pretty good but a true "universal" remote is well beyond my budget.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
dvr's shouldnt be a problem, they are designed to work for those, but im sure there are some things the original remote will work better for.

the button layout is supposed to be pretty nice though, thats what cnet said anyway.

880 has been out for a while... its $250

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I finished programming my Denon 3805 blue foil remote with our new SA8300HD, along with every other bit of equipment I have. Believe it or not, my wife and 5 yr old can use it. At first, everyone hated this remote. I was going to splurge on a new Harmony, but there is no need to. This thing is amazing! It actually works with the DVR in record mode and all channel info! There is so much more to that remote than people give it credit for. Yes, it's huge, but it works wonderfully. I think this is the first time EVER I have it down to ONE remote. Yes, ONE ! ! ! Kudos to Denon. If anyone needs any advice on this remote, let me know. It took some time, but well worth it.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Rock&Roll Ninja said:
I just read a Popular mechanics which had othing nice to say about universal remotes in general.

Personally I've got the RadioShack ElKameleon (which looks really cool). But there aren't enough controld to work the disk changer on my 300-disk SONY CD player, and not nearly enough controls for my DishNetwork+DVR remote. But it does control my JVC DVD player, JVC TV, and Pioneer AVR (well just switching. Have to use original remote to set it up initially).

So really I have 3 remotes instead of 5. Pretty good but a true "universal" remote is well beyond my budget.
Try looking for the MX-500, it can be found for a pretty good price. I have had mine for a couple of years and I wouldn't trade it for anything else! If you had it you would only have 1 remote instead of 3. I even use mine for my mini dv cam and a fan I bought at Wal-mart.

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
th e remote for the 3805 is the reason why i didnt get the 3805. i know that it is super powerfull, i just dont like the LCD screen and the lack of physical buttons. a while back i got the sony 3100 universal remote, and it did everything i wanted it to do, it just had a LCD screen which made it hard to change channels while watching cable without looking down at the controller.

having macros are nice though. my controller for my v2500 has macros so i can hit one button and it turns on my reciever, DVD, TV and it I angle the remote perfectly it will even turn off my lights.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
3805 Remote

Mega2000 said:
th e remote for the 3805 is the reason why i didnt get the 3805. i know that it is super powerfull, i just dont like the LCD screen and the lack of physical buttons. a while back i got the sony 3100 universal remote, and it did everything i wanted it to do, it just had a LCD screen which made it hard to change channels while watching cable without looking down at the controller.

having macros are nice though. my controller for my v2500 has macros so i can hit one button and it turns on my reciever, DVD, TV and it I angle the remote perfectly it will even turn off my lights.
I haven't quite figured how to run the dishwasher with it yet, but it does have the raised 4 way toggle, enter, channel and volume buttons in the center. You can control the brightness intensity, and the length of time it stays on. I will admit, I hated it when I first got it, but now I can really appreciate it. It's not turn key user friendly, but if you're an electronics nut, it does almost everything.

Attachments

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
The entire Harmony line is great. The only draw back is that you must have high speed internet to program it. On new construction jobs this sometimes presents a problem. We also use the pronto a lot. We were using the MX1000 but it was discontinued.

Duffinator

Duffinator

I have the MX 500 programmed to control everything in my house including my Sony DV camcorder and my Media MVP. It's very hard to beat for the price. The Harmony's look pretty good and I may just have to buy one and play with it. I'm curious how easy it is to program on the internet. Does it take hours?

I install and setup home theaters for family and friends and would like a simple solution for a universal remote. I don't mind spending hours programming my MX 500 exactly the way I want it but I don't want to do it for others. :rolleyes: The problem with the 3805 remote is it's difficult to see in daylight.

Check this out:
http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/HTM-500.html

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
Duffinator,
I have programmed a lot of different remotes,
Pronto TSU2000, 3000, 7000
MX500, 800, 1000
Sl9000
Mosaic
the entire line of harmony remotes up to the new LCD (haven't even held one of those yet.
and several brands that ship with receivers.
The Harmony is by far the simplest remote on the market to program and use. If you run into trouble with your delays or other tricks, they have a really good tech support. Because the program is web based they can do the programming for you. One thing to keep in mind is they will not program zone 2 controls on a receiver. You will have to program your second zone as another component.

Duffinator

Duffinator

av-man said:
Duffinator,
I have programmed a lot of different remotes,
Pronto TSU2000, 3000, 7000
MX500, 800, 1000
Sl9000
Mosaic
the entire line of harmony remotes up to the new LCD (haven't even held one of those yet.
and several brands that ship with receivers.
The Harmony is by far the simplest remote on the market to program and use. If you run into trouble with your delays or other tricks, they have a really good tech support. Because the program is web based they can do the programming for you. One thing to keep in mind is they will not program zone 2 controls on a receiver. You will have to program your second zone as another component.
Thanks Av-Man, that's very helpful. My most recent install uses a zone 2 and the Denon 1905 remote requires you to slide a little button in order to operate that zone. The owners get confused and a month later are still having problems turning the zone on. Reading the Logitech/Harmony website, all the remotes seem very similar. Which model is easy to use and program? Their system includes DVD Player, Receiver, HDTV, VCR, Zone 2, and Comcast HD DVR. Do you have a recommendation for me?

Thanks

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
Of those which would you recommend? You know anything about the Marantz SRC9500 remote? How does that compare to the Pronto Pro.

Im looking at a 7% restocking fee if i get store credit for my SR8500, possibly 15% for a return .. though I dont know if they will stick me with it, and im looking at that remote, the pronto pro, and possibly a niles audio intellicontrol. The niles audio is price prohibitive though, being priced $1400 retail plus $800 for programming that i have to get from them.

Im looking at having the lighting from my media room controlled by the remote as well .. I like the one touch idea .. you hit DVD and all applicable devices turn on, hit play and the lights dim and after slight delay the dvd player plays.

Can that be done on a harmony remote? Which of those that you have experience with would be the best value for what I would want to do?

Thanks for your help.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Catdaddy said:
Im looking at having the lighting from my media room controlled by the remote as well .. I like the one touch idea .. you hit DVD and all applicable devices turn on, hit play and the lights dim and after slight delay the dvd player plays.

Can that be done on a harmony remote? Which of those that you have experience with would be the best value for what I would want to do?

Thanks for your help.
You can easily do all of that with any of the Home Theater Master remotes (MX-350/650/850 or older MX-500/600/700/800). I'm sure the Harmony could work as well but have never used one (personally don't care for the little tiny buttons arranged in a haphazard manner.)

Don't even think about blowing big money on a remote unless your system is truly complicated. For less than $80 you could get an MX-500 to control EVERYTHING or move to the newer MX-350 (about $125) which adds RF control and support for 20 devices instead of the 10 for the MX-500.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis