The Best of Atmos Music Execution

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
So, whether or not you like it completely put to the side...

What, in your opinion, are the best mixed/best in utilization of Atmos music? What simply sounds awesome in Atmos?

Bjork's Fossora is a standout for me as using Atmos to the max, with clear creative intention. The new Lana Del Ray or Taylor Swift sound simply stunning though...

What have you heard that left you thinking "They did that right in atmos!"

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Yello “Point” album has Atmos effects coming from everywhere.

It’s on Apple Music such as on AppleTV 4K.

There is also a disc version.

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
Yes. Heard that one.
Try the album Oxymore by Jean-Michel Jarre for something just as crazy.

R

ReverendSlim

Audioholic Intern
Billie Eilish's entire catalogue sounds fantastic in Atmos... but particularly Bury A Friend. That kind of music really lends itself to some positional experimentation.

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
I did listen to Billy Eilish’s Happier than Ever album and was impressed. I remember thinking that it is well recorded/mixed in Atmos, with great spaciousness to it without resorting to any unnecessary gimmicks. The track ‘Your Power’ stands out from memory. She isn’t my usual jam, but I’m open minded!

I’ll give a shout out to Daughter’s latest album Stereo Mind Game. Lush, spacy rock. Most tracks build up with layers of Atmos-y goodness in their second half, so stick with them to the end. It seems to be getting a lot of rotation here lately. Definitely digging this one at the moment.

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
Ok. Just melted my mind listening to Christine and the Queens album Paranoia, Angels, True Love.
Atmos goodness.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This about the algorithm upmixed "Atmos" from 2ch or deliberately mixed (by humans) Atmos multich audio?

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
Not anything upmixed by an AVR or something.
I would say that using computer AI track separation that is then remixed in Atmos by humans would count, as it is effectively the same thing as something new mixed in Atmos, but can be good or bad, depending upon how much work was put in.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not anything upmixed by an AVR or something.
I would say that using computer AI track separation that is then remixed in Atmos by humans would count, as it is effectively the same thing as something new mixed in Atmos, but can be good or bad, depending upon how much work was put in.
I was more referred to the streaming music variety of Atmos, which isn't particularly done by humans in terms of the actual mixing involved, more an algorithm (but according to several, the upmixed music found that way is better than the avr's built in upmixer for Atmos).

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
Hmm. I stream all my music. There is definitely stuff that is just upmixed, the old stuff run through a processor so they can slap an Atmos tag on it. Then there is stuff that has been remastered using AI to separate out tracks and then remixed (like the Beatles catalogue), and new stuff that is mixed in Atmos with stereo versions released also. You can usually tell fairly easily.
The mixed in Atmos stuff is usually clearly defined positionally, where as upmixed stuff tends to be washed out a bit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm. I stream all my music. There is definitely stuff that is just upmixed, the old stuff run through a processor so they can slap an Atmos tag on it. Then there is stuff that has been remastered using AI to separate out tracks and then remixed (like the Beatles catalogue), and new stuff that is mixed in Atmos with stereo versions released also. You can usually tell fairly easily.
The mixed in Atmos stuff is usually clearly defined positionally, where as upmixed stuff tends to be washed out a bit.
I like and collect multich music but there's just not a lot of it deliberately mixed (as found on dvd/sacd/bluray), let alone an Atmos version. They have come a long way with upmixers, tho. Didn't know the Beatles stuff was involving AI, will have to check that out.

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
Niles Martin, son of George Martin, the Beatles original producer, was tasked with using AI to tease out the individual tracks and remix in Atmos. Paul McCartney loved it and said it was a great new way for people to enjoy their music. It’s an interesting story if you can find it.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Niles Martin, son of George Martin, the Beatles original producer, was tasked with using AI to tease out the individual tracks and remix in Atmos. Paul McCartney loved it and said it was a great new way for people to enjoy their music. It’s an interesting story if you can find it.
So what, we had some popular musicians shilling for high res music and that basically went no where. Atmos music adoption by the mainstream is farfetched even after being endorsed by Paul McCartney.

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
Sure. Wasn’t the point. More about how it was made.

I started this thread looking for content that people have found as really good utilization of Atmos. The stuff that sounds awesome.
So, if you listen to some music in Atmos, and have found some that left you thinking “Wow, that was fantastic!”, please share.

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
Been a minute, but here are some more that have caught my ear recently….

So, I enjoyed the remaster of Marvin Gaye’sWhats’ Going On
Marvin Gaye “What’s Going On”

Then Sigur Ros dropped a new album Atta. Check out the first track, beautiful…
Sigur Rós “Gló∂”
They re-released an Atmos version of their ‘( )” album as well…
Sigur Rós “( )”

Kicking it in another direction entirely, the new Chemical Bothers album ”For that Beautiful Felling” is a banger. If you can hang on and get through the intro and opening track, try the track “Goodbye” for some swirling breaks through the middle.

Or, try Lusine‘s new album “Long Light. The first track is a standout.

If you make it through all that, get grounded again with Nanna’s album “How to Start a Garden”. She is the lead singer from the band Of Monsters and Men. I really enjoy this album. The first track or ”Crybaby” are some standouts though.

Anything to share?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis