The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips)

vonder

vonder

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone,
I've created a Web version of the ratbuddyssey app with most of it functionality and no installation required. You are welcome to check it out:

A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern
If we are talking about D+M's new directional bass option for up to 4 subwoofers, it is better to listen to Masimo's:
Starts at about the 9:00 time mark.

Gene, Matthew and Todd's seem to be about the general concepts, not entirely and specifically about D+M's new feature as such.

Introducing our new Marantz Cinema 40 - YouTube

The presenter might have given the same explanation in his video on the AV10 and the Denon AVRs, so for those interested, watch those videos as well.

From the videos for the Denon AVRs:
Introducing the brand new Denon AVC-X4800H. - YouTube

So, to me directional bass is just as described below, each of the 4 subs will still get the LFE signal and correctional will still be done the same way. The difference in "directional" bass is that each sub will play the non LFE channel bass associated with the nearest speakers associated with the sub, according to the crossover setting for the specific channel/speaker. In the example the presenter used, that would be the FL, FR, SL, SR channels/speakers.

View attachment 62622
I'm confused. Either this is really clever engineering or stupid.

Entire point of me having 4 subs is for a FLAT base response with dynamic headroom and lower distortion with no nulls. If only one sub is playing, am I not just back to having low quality bass with nulls?

Am I just:
1. Losing a smooth flat bass response
2. Losing dynamic headroom

By doing this? To get some directionality?
I assume there is more to this than that.

If it is doing this, the L&R might make more sense in some rooms, i.e. if via a MiniDSP you're able to EQ the left side and the right side of the room flat separately and then integrate them.

Can someone break down or explain if I'm wrong here? It still just seems to me that a MiniDSP and MSO is superior for the best fidelity.

A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern
I thought a smart way of doing it would be to send the same LFE to all 4 subs (maybe 2-3db shy in the more obvious to feel bass frequencies) then re-direct THAT dynamic headroom to the sub closer to everyone.

Can someone check if its doing this? Surely they wouldn't leave 3 subs playing nothing during bass heavy scenes to keep it directional? Just put the hand on the woofer and play something which involves a surround and direcitonal bass on to see if they all move.

N

nicoleise

Junior Audioholic
I'm confused. Either this is really clever engineering or stupid.

Entire point of me having 4 subs is for a FLAT base response with dynamic headroom and lower distortion with no nulls. If only one sub is playing, am I not just back to having low quality bass with nulls?

Am I just:
1. Losing a smooth flat bass response
2. Losing dynamic headroom

By doing this? To get some directionality?
I assume there is more to this than that.

If it is doing this, the L&R might make more sense in some rooms, i.e. if via a MiniDSP you're able to EQ the left side and the right side of the room flat separately and then integrate them.

Can someone break down or explain if I'm wrong here? It still just seems to me that a MiniDSP and MSO is superior for the best fidelity.
Funny. I haven't seen this thread before, but was considering the exact same solution (through external DSP) earlier while walking the dog.

Whether LFE distributed to all subs evenly plus the lower frequency extension of all the nearest speakers with fx the center being sent to both FL and FR subwoofers.

And like you, I really couldn't figure out if it would be beneficial (if it even makes the slightest sense due to the frequencies involved), or if it would even be detrimental, since the nice flat equalised response throughout the listening area would only apply to the sounds playing at all four subs (i.e. LFE content), while fx lower frequencies from L channel would only be played in FL subwoofer and thus should provide a room response similar to having this subwoofer only installed.

I didn't know that any manufacturers actually implemented such a solution, but my doubts remain regardless.

A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern
Funny. I haven't seen this thread before, but was considering the exact same solution (through external DSP) earlier while walking the dog.

Whether LFE distributed to all subs evenly plus the lower frequency extension of all the nearest speakers with fx the center being sent to both FL and FR subwoofers.

And like you, I really couldn't figure out if it would be beneficial (if it even makes the slightest sense due to the frequencies involved), or if it would even be detrimental, since the nice flat equalised response throughout the listening area would only apply to the sounds playing at all four subs (i.e. LFE content), while fx lower frequencies from L channel would only be played in FL subwoofer and thus should provide a room response similar to having this subwoofer only installed.

I didn't know that any manufacturers actually implemented such a solution, but my doubts remain regardless.
Yeah its a bit weird.

The simplest solution is to just redirect or maximise the audible bass frequencies to create the illusion its directional but maintain the LFE throuhg all channels.

you'll still get peaks and nulls created by using a subwoofer which should be levelled with the rest but at least you get a direction and impact without loss of dynamic headroom.

As far as I'm aware, even trinnov/storm still dont quite cmpete with a MiniDSP and MSO so maybe this is all just a moot point.

I think L&R directional bass can probably work a LOT better. I know my FR and FL subs have practically the same responser which is simlar for most people TBH. I think going to the back of the room and left and right - its just very very complex.

Maybe I'm wrong and D&M have thought this out and are doing what we suggest. but if they arent and ur losing dynamic headroom of having 4 subs, thats just stupid.

O

OCA

Enthusiast
I still think directional bass is only good for stereo set ups but I like the suggestion to limit LFE channel to just one sub though can't figure out an easy way of how that can be done.

D

djdanko

Audiophyte
I've used this app for a long time, but I have suddenly encountered an problem. Today, I got into the 6th location and the connection dropped. spent the next 3 hours trying everything I can and now it drops within the first and 2nd calibration location.
Tried different version of the app including the latest, tried two different androids, made sure I had a good connection, changed my DNS server, still cannot get this to work and it is beyond frustrating.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've used this app for a long time, but I have suddenly encountered an problem. Today, I got into the 6th location and the connection dropped. spent the next 3 hours trying everything I can and now it drops within the first and 2nd calibration location.
Tried different version of the app including the latest, tried two different androids, made sure I had a good connection, changed my DNS server, still cannot get this to work and it is beyond frustrating.
I found it depended on which device I was using. I'm not sure if it's the Wi-Fi connection to the device that was an issue, or if what I was using just wasn't fast enough for the app.

Once I used a better device, no more issues. I do find some devices don't like when the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands share the same SSID. Not all routers support this config, but it has caused me problems with very specific devices.

D

djdanko

Audiophyte
I found it depended on which device I was using. I'm not sure if it's the Wi-Fi connection to the device that was an issue, or if what I was using just wasn't fast enough for the app.

Once I used a better device, no more issues. I do find some devices don't like when the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands share the same SSID. Not all routers support this config, but it has caused me problems with very specific devices.
I wonder if that is it. Phone is newish S22 ultra, so that should not be a bottle next, but my SSID is setup to auto negotaite if I am on 5g or 2.4 based on signal. Maybe I ill change that for the moment and try 2.4 only.

D

djdanko

Audiophyte
I wonder if that is it. Phone is newish S22 ultra, so that should not be a bottle next, but my SSID is setup to auto negotaite if I am on 5g or 2.4 based on signal. Maybe I ill change that for the moment and try 2.4 only.
Update: I got it working again. I think something gets wonky when using a wireless configuration with a single SSID (name) that auto-negotiates if you are using the 5ghz or 2.4 ghz band. I created a new SSID with just 2.4 enabled and it finished.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's a stupid problem to have, but I've had it with enough things to have finally figured it out. I have an old 2.4ghz only tablet I use for stuff like this just because I don't want to change my SSID.

I need to get around to doing that for my IOT stuff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis