The Audioholics High End 7.x Channel Recommended Home Theater System

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Oi!! Again with the no turntable? I'm shocked and appalled and sensing a pattern here. :p Also there's not enough emoticons at this site for me to get in touch with my feelings. :D

Question, why the RBH subs? Why not Funks, Rythmik or SVS? I'm only curious. :)
Matching the system as most people spending this kind of $$$ will want the same aesthetics and finish options. SVS was offered as an alternative.

Agreed about the turntable but we stick those in 2CH only systems.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seems almost like my system or at least the system I want. :D

Marantz vs Denon
Outlaw vs ATI
RBH

I wish the SX-661 were in a much bigger cabinet like the SX-T1 cabinet, though. The 661 looks slim and may easily tip over if you stand them vertically. If only RBH could put the drivers of the SX-661 into the SX-T1 cabinet. :D

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Matching the system as most people spending this kind of $$$ will want the same aesthetics and finish options. SVS was offered as an alternative.
Also as noted in the article, there's the size issue. There's little doubt in my mind that a PB13U or FV15HP can outperform the RBH SX-12/R down low, but the footprint of both subs is simply massive. The RBH OTOH isn't a lot larger than the SB13U.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So it bothers you that Gene loves himself some RBH, highly recommends them, and enjoys getting opportunities to review their latest and greatest?
I am selling my entire collection (Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, KEF Reference 201/2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, Funk 18.0, etc.) for an all-RBH system.

I've heard RBH and many speakers. If it's great, it's great. :D

It all depends on preference.

Coult_45

Coult_45

Junior Audioholic
Do you know of an RBH dealer?

I am selling my entire collection (Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, KEF Reference 201/2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, Funk 18.0, etc.) for an all-RBH system.

I've heard RBH and many speakers. If it's great, it's great.

It all depends on preference.
Wow I have been drooling over your adds on craigslist.:eek: I was then reading this thread and realized the OKC connection when I read you were selling your collection.

Many years ago RBH had a dealer in Edmond. I don't even remember the name. But for a long time now I have not known about a dealer. Just curious if you were able to audition RBH locally or was it out of town?

R

renegade87

Junior Audioholic
No Panel Mounted Surge Suppression Recommendations?

I see that the decision was made to add a Panamax MR4300 to the list to protect the system. Cost effective and sound advice for those with no pre-existing component level surge protection. I have to hand it to you guys. You're not acting like "Snake Oil Salesmen" trying to sell everybody on the merits of owning a $5K Nordost Thor system (or equivalent) like is routinely done elsewhere.

My only question is, why not a sentence (just a sentence guys) on the benefits of stopping potentially damaging surges at the electical service entrance. That's right, a Whole House Surge Protector mounted directly to the panel. The cost (of the acquisition) is roughly the same as the Panamax MR4300 (Eaton/Cutler Hammer CHSP Series or equivalent). But instead of just protecting your $17K (or $10K) investment in the recommended system, you're protecting the whole house and sending the damaging surges directly to ground (depending on installation configuration). Yes, you will need an electrician to install it, but you'll be able to sleep at night.

Or, how about a dedicated line from the panel wired to a Brickwall 20 Amp Panel Mounted Surge Protector (or equivalent). again, stop the damaging energy at the service entrance. Once again, the cost (of the acquisition) is roughly the same as the Panamax MR4300 and you will have to have an electrician install it (I mean you should....).

Sorry, I forgot, you guys don't sell panel mounted surge suppression/protection in the Audioholics store.

My bad.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow I have been drooling over your adds on craigslist.:eek: I was then reading this thread and realized the OKC connection when I read you were selling your collection.

Many years ago RBH had a dealer in Edmond. I don't even remember the name. But for a long time now I have not known about a dealer. Just curious if you were able to audition RBH locally or was it out of town?
Yes, it was a few years ago, so my memory is foggy. But I auditioned the RBH T2 at a RBH dealer's house in Edmond. His name was listed on the RBH website.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
My only question is, why not a sentence (just a sentence guys) on the benefits of stopping potentially damaging surges at the electical service entrance. That's right, a Whole House Surge Protector mounted directly to the panel.
Whole house surge protection and the benefits thereof are well beyond the scope of an article about building a home theater system.

Sorry, I forgot, you guys don't sell panel mounted surge suppression/protection in the Audioholics store.

My bad.
There is no more Audioholics store, nor are we affiliated with the entity that once was the Audioholics store.

K

kanchi647

Enthusiast
would APC 1200 VA Back Up UPS be enough for protecting the equipment?
Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis