A

aesculanus

Audiophyte
so here's a tricky one for you audiophiles:

For a small 1 bedroom apartment. I was going to get the logitech z-5500, but no one has had it in stock for the past couple weeks (even logitech's online store). so here's what i need:

-the best surround speakers you can get for $300.
-they need to be able to play music as well as movies
-must have digital optical input
-must be a wired 5.1 system (no wireless - too much interference)
-i don't need a dvd player.

so far i've narrowed it down to the yamaha yht-270, the onkyo ht-s590, and the jvc th-c20.

If there are any other systems out there, please let me know as well. i'd like to have this ordered in the next day or two. thanks

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'd wait for the Z5500s.

www.ncix.com should have some. They would have to be shipped, but its worth it.

SheepStar

A

aesculanus

Audiophyte
really? the 5500s are that good? i haven't even been able to hear them in person, as best buy doesn't even have a floor model anymore. the kid there recommended i go with the onkyo, and i found it for under $200 shipped online. do you have any idea how they'd compare with the logitech?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
The Logitech would sound better. The nice thing about the Logitech is that it can be run directly off a PC, whereas the others use a crappy entry level receiver, junk surrounds and a joke of a subwoofer. Klipsh makes a nice PC setup as well, but I think Logitech has better reliability.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Onkyo would be the best if you had no choice. Yamaha HTIAB speakers suck, though the powered woofers are usually OK. JVC's satelites suck as well and the powered woofer is something that if I shook a stick at it, it would cry.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Seth=L said:
The Onkyo would be the best if you had no choice. Yamaha HTIAB speakers suck, though the powered woofers are usually OK.
I'll second that, the Onkyo HTB's sound the best of all the HTB's that I have listend to.

alteratively, you could buy used stuff, which may enable you to get better stuff than just a HTB (just ask Seth!).

Seth=L said:
JVC's satelites suck as well and the powered woofer is something that if I shook a stick at it, it would cry.
...aaand that's just funny. :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
no. 5 said:
I'll second that, the Onkyo HTB's sound the best of all the HTB's that I have listend to.

alteratively, you could buy used stuff, which may enable you to get better stuff than just a HTB (just ask Seth!).

...aaand that's just funny. :D
He he, I try.:D

I am the finder of lost deals, with enough patience you can assemble a respectable system for around that amount of dough. I once got an Onkyo TX-DS787 for $100, it was the first 7.1 receiver with THX that Onkyo made, it retailed for around $1000 in 2001.

S

satish536

Audioholic
If you are looking for something in the range of the logitech also look up the Kipsch Promedia 5.1

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
satish536 said:
If you are looking for something in the range of the logitech also look up the Kipsch Promedia 5.1
No digital decoder.

SheepStar

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Audio Engine 5

You should consider the Audio Engine 5 powered monitors for a high quality 2 or 2.1 channel system. Just connect them to the 2 channel analog output from the DVD player.

Most Computer surround speakers are designed for near field listening where you are a few feet from the speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis