T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
The Marantz 5012

The Maranta 5010

The Yamaha 1060

The Sony DN- 1080

The Denon x3400

The Yamaha is the weakest of the group ...bass mgmt meh ... power meh ....oomph meh

The Sony ? - the SONY? WOW BLOWS every AVR I've heard out of the water HT wise.

The Marantz 5010 is better musically IMO not as detailed as the SONY

The 5012 and Denon not tested yet

As of now the Sony is shocking - it also isn't a magnolia room piece.
Sound and Vision gave it a stellar review so I hd to try it - also #1 on CNET.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-str-dn1080-av-receiver-review

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The Marantz 5012

The Maranta 5010

The Yamaha 1060

The Sony DN- 1080

The Denon x3400

The Yamaha is the weakest of the group ...bass mgmt meh ... power meh ....oomph meh

The Sony ? - the SONY? WOW BLOWS every AVR I've heard out of the water HT wise.

The Marantz 5010 is better musically IMO not as detailed as the SONY

The 5012 and Denon not tested yet

As of now the Sony is shocking - it also isn't a magnolia room piece.
Sound and Vision gave it a stellar review so I hd to try it - also #1 on CNET.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-str-dn1080-av-receiver-review
Holy cow I would not have expected that. The Sony is probably the cheapest too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh and I was the biggest Yamaha fan in the world but they have slipped bad. Very disappointed, especially in the amp section.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

What are your conclusions based on? Internet chatter? Independent reviews? Personal experience?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
The Sony was dirt cheap , I have it till 1-18 - Let me tell you , it's DETAILED - it's BIG , it's meant for Movies and Gaming but does music well too.

I have The Beatles remastered right now and the wife just said wow that sounds fantastic and she could give a shat about my obsession with sound.

It can be buggy though when switching inputs.

I had to try it after this: https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-str-dn1080/review/

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
The Sony is great with “ loud “
Metallica - Hardwired to Self Destruct - amazing.
Paired with an Emotiva bas-x 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HTME123

Enthusiast
Thunderclap, I'm considering the Sony and the Denon. Did you have an opportunity to test both? What did you think?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks more like a popularity poll than in-depth test to me!! The lack of testing methodology described is being compensated for by personal opinion, speculative conjecture and personal bias. There is nothing wrong with an RX-A1060 ability to delivery power UNLESS one is stuck on that really insipid ACD test.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Looks more like a popularity poll than in-depth test to me!! The lack of testing methodology described is being compensated for by personal opinion, speculative conjecture and personal bias. There is nothing wrong with an RX-A1060 ability to delivery power UNLESS one is stuck on that really insipid ACD test.
What is an ACD test? :confused:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What is an ACD test? :confused:
The All Channels Delivery test which tests nothing more than the sensitivity of the manufacturer's protection circuitry. Yamaha typically scores low on this as they are very conservative ( over protective ) with their equipment. Yamaha also rates their power deilvery into two channels on the low side but independent tests such as is done here at Audioholics reveals that Yamaha easily surpasses their two channel tests in both 8 and 4 ohm by a significant margin. Some people are really stuck on the ACD test but it seldom reflects real world use as not all channels in a movie soubdtrack carry the same information across all channels at the exact time.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh and I was the biggest Yamaha fan in the world but they have slipped bad. Very disappointed, especially in the amp section.

That just one person's subjective review, I am sure many would prefer the RX-A1060 over the Sony. I know they say ymmv, I read subjective reviews mostly for fun..:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis