J

jamie the Great

Audiophyte
I did post a few days ago, but now after reading a bit I was wanting to Know If the equipment I have is any good,? I ask this because, I guess I have bottem end stuff but I seem to like it. So what I have is a Kenwood VR-510 It's 2 years old at the same time I did buy cirwinvega speekers all round 5.1 I thought at the time it was good and it'swhat I'm using today.
I just want to know if it's good fof the home theater room I'm building.
I just want to know how it stands up?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Cerwins are great for being loud and for Rock music, but I can honestly say Kenwood doesn't build stuff like they used to. I think you should look to invest in a new receiver, it will really help you get the most out of your HT.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"...but I seem to like it"

jamie the Great said:
I did post a few days ago, but now after reading a bit I was wanting to Know If the equipment I have is any good,? I ask this because, I guess I have bottem end stuff but I seem to like it. So what I have is a Kenwood VR-510 It's 2 years old at the same time I did buy cirwinvega speekers all round 5.1 I thought at the time it was good and it'swhat I'm using today.
I just want to know if it's good fof the home theater room I'm building.
I just want to know how it stands up?
that about says it all. Unless you want to jump in and dump a ton of money up front, thereby multiplying the costs of any learning mistakes, just ask this kind of question. Everyone has their own personal favorites.

That's kind of like a woman asking her man "do these jeans make my butt look big?"

Everyone has to start somewhere. From there, you refine your wants, needs and desires. I'd suggest you start with what you have, find the areas that you are dissatisfied with and concentrate on that area.

FWIW, there have been no earth shaking technological advances in receivers within the past two years comparable to when DVD, DD and DTS arrived on the scene and instantly obsoleted VHS and DPL. They get incrementally more features, more channels and cheaper but, there have been no major leaps.

Speakers mostly determine the overall sound quality of the system.

Speakers are a matter of personal taste and financial ability. Some people like some speakers while others don't. that' generally doesn't make one speaker "better" or "worse" than another. Just different.

They make speakers in all price ranges with all types of sound characteristics. You might want to explore what's out there but don't confine yourself to a setup that contains a subwoofer. Don't misunnderstand me here. You will want/need a subwoofer.

Subwoofers can and, in most cases, should be considered a separate item. There are a few companies that only make subwoofers, but they do a damn fine job! The better a sub you buy, the more you will like your system.

IMNSHO, I'd suggest that when shopping for speakers you use mostly music audio Cd's for your evaluations. It seems that many systems that sound good on movies tend to lack big time on music. However, systems that sound good on music tend to sound great with movies ... but that's your call.

So, sit back, relax, find out what YOU want and take it from there.

Last edited:
HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
markw said:
IMNSHO, I'd suggest that when shopping for speakers you use mostly music audio Cd's for your evaluations. It seems that many systems that sound good on movies tend to lack big time on music. However, systems that sound good on music tend to sound great with movies ... but that's your call.
I agree in the sense that I would also recommend to use music CDs for evaluations simply because if you choose other sources such as DVD movies than you might be more distracted and pay less attention to audio evaluations since your brain is also processing visual information as well.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
If it sounds good to you then enjoy it.{but start doing alot of reading and research for upgrades}

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
jamie the Great said:
... but I seem to like it. So what I have is a Kenwood VR-510 It's 2 years old at the same time I did buy cirwinvega speekers all round 5.1 ...

I'd suggest you follow Markw advise. You seem to like what you have. So, not much more to say, unless you need a feature that you now don't have. Then, that is a different issue.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis