Tekton Enzo XL Measured by Stereophile

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Reading the tekton threads on avs and posts from the tekton owner/designer do not give me any sort of confidence in the company.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
2013 - Tekton, greatest speakers since the 2nd coming, or Zu Audio

2015 - Tekton, greatest bargain on Audiogon, since Zu Audio
Did the owner of Tekton write that or just some forum members? :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm thinking that this is why most Tekton owners dump these things after about a year, or so. They seem to have a very 'Bosey' allure to them that wears off over time.
I'm wondering what it's like to own a pair of Tekton speakers and see so many forum members bash Tekton. :D

It would definitely make me want to get rid of the speakers sooner than later. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm wondering what it's like to own a pair of Tekton speakers and see so many forum members bash Tekton. :D

It would definitely make me want to get rid of the speakers sooner than later. :D
If you recall, IMCLoud has a set of the Tekton Lores.

He seems to really like them, especially for his tube amps.

I guess I could take a bit of a back-step. IF efficiency / sensitivity is your end goal, then the Tektons might be for you.

I don't think efficiency is ever my end goal, power is cheap!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you recall, IMCLoud has a set of the Tekton Lores.

He seems to really like them, especially for his tube amps.

I guess I could take a bit of a back-step. IF efficiency / sensitivity is your end goal, then the Tektons might be for you.

I don't think efficiency is ever my end goal, power is cheap!
90.6dB/2.83V/m isn't really THAT much sensitive for them to brag about. :D

As already mentioned, claiming 96dB sensitive when it's actually 90dB is not very good. :D

Stereophile measured the Golden Ear Triton 2 @ 91dB/2.83v/m, for example.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/goldenear-technology-triton-two-loudspeaker-measurements

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
90.6dB/2.83V/m isn't really THAT much sensitive for them to brag about. :D

As already mentioned, claiming 96dB sensitive when it's actually 90dB is not very good. :D

Stereophile measured the Golden Ear Triton 2 @ 91dB/2.83v/m, for example.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/goldenear-technology-triton-two-loudspeaker-measurements
Yeah, good points.

I mean, 6dB is "only" 4x on power :rolleyes:

I didn't realize that the T2 was measured at 91dB! I thought I saw it measured somewhere else where it didn't meet that 91 spec.

When I bought my T2, the MSRP was $2500 a pair. I would take the T2 with the built in subs and the HVFR tweet over the Tekton any day.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, good points.

I mean, 6dB is "only" 4x on power :rolleyes:

I didn't realize that the T2 was measured at 91dB! I thought I saw it measured somewhere else where it didn't meet that 91 spec.

When I bought my T2, the MSRP was $2500 a pair. I would take the T2 with the built in subs and the HVFR tweet over the Tekton any day.
Yeah, for around $2K street price I would rather get the GE T2, RBH SX-6300, or a few others.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yep and GE advertises 91 and JA measured 91. Not bad. I think you should buy yourself a pair of Tekton for the heck of it. :)
Nope. Sorry. Those Tekton speakers cannot be actively bi-amp either. ;)

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Ok, sorry, but advertized 96dB, but delivers 91? That's the same thing as advertizing 25mpg and delivering 20mpg. That's fraud, plain and simple.

I got nothing against these guys, but c'mon. It's a wonky assed looking design that doesn't deliver to spec. Something ain't right.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hoffman's Iron Law in action. There is no way that stated extension and sensitivity could both be realized given those particular woofs and enclosure. Tekton seems to have gotten the extension but lied about the sensitivity.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The sensitivity spec can be gamed a number of different ways. It's hard to say its fraud when the term by itself is somewhat ambiguous. A good article about it. This spec needs more precise standardization.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
And I think we already know Erik's answer...if Zu and Klipsch do it, why can't he? (Lame excuse if you ask me.)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
As far as these Tekton measurements, I guess it all depends whom measured them at the factory and what measurement gear and mic they used. JA uses some pretty $$ stuff at Stereophile that can measure a gnats whisper.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought Stereophile only measure/review B&M speakers, not ID speakers?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I thought Stereophile only measure/review B&M speakers, not ID speakers?
Times, they are a changing!

They did the Dayton BS a while back. As far as I know, those are basically ID only too (maybe you could buy them if you actually visited the PE warehouse).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Times, they are a changing!

They did the Dayton BS a while back. As far as I know, those are basically ID only too (maybe you could buy them if you actually visited the PE warehouse).
Hmm. Times are changing. :D

Maybe soon we will see Stereophile reviews of Salk, Philharmonic, Ascend, Funk, etc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm. Perhaps I was incorrect on the prerequisite for review. Perhaps they just need to be advertised on magazines. :D

I see all those names on magazine advertisements, but I don't see Salk, Ascend, Philharmonic on any magazines.

Have you seen Tekton on magazine ads?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis