Tekton Enzo - The most inexpensive speakers that is in the league with high-end speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SearchofSub

Banned
So I just ordered my pair of Tekton eNZO's and had some questions to those who own them.

I realize the eNZO's are Tektons new-line that just got under production only about 2 monthes ago. I heard so many great things about them. From what I have read on the internet and the reviews, it seems like the Tekton line is like the second coming of Christ in the audio industry.

I actually wanted to get the Pendragons but they will overwhelm my room which is measured at about 13 x 14 x 10. I guess the eNZO's are like the hybrid between the Lores and the Pendragons. I am not going to be using a sub, but rather thinking of going 4.0 for home theatre movie applications. I heard the bass on the eNZO's and the Pendragons are excellent and will shake your room and goes down to atleast 30hz so I dont think I need a seperate sub. Most of the professional reviewers also stated they ended up turning off their sub because the bass on the speakers were just way too good.

Anyway, my question is about the Mundolf oil cap upgrade... Are there any owners out there who got the upgrade and if so, is there a big difference? Its a $700 upgrade..lots of money for my budget...:D

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You have a way of exaggerating. Your title: "Tekton Enzo - The most inexpensive speakers that is in the league with high-end speaker" and "...the reviews, it seems like the Tekton line is like the second coming of Christ in the audio industry."

Yet the revięw to which Tekton sends one for the Enzo, though enthusiastic, states:

So is the Enzo perfect? Not quite, it's not as see-through transparent as a set of $2,000 Magnepan 1.7

Tekton Enzo, a strong contender for Speaker of the Year | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

So, for the same price, one can get something that is better in some important respects. Hardly "the second coming of Christ."

Also, Tekton claims a lower end of 40 Hz, not 30 Hz:

tekton-designcontent2011

But even if you were right about 30 Hz, that is not very good for a subwoofer (though it is better than some cheap pieces of junk subwoofers). If you want really deep bass, you will want a subwoofer for your home theater with those speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SearchofSub

Banned
Should have added Tekton Pendragon's along w/ eNZO.

The Cnet article says that its not as transperant as the Magnepan 1.7, however, it also mentions the eNZO dominates the Magnepan 3.7 (the higher end model) in dynamics, bass, and plain old just "good to the ears" and musicality.

I can just get their new 18' cinema sub (which is a monster) and go with the LORE line fronts, and their Bipole/Dipole LORE sorrounds.

Which would you recommend? (Not going with center channel since the Tektons image very well.)

Do you own the LORE's?

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… I heard so many great things about them. From what I have read on the internet and the reviews, it seems like the Tekton line is like the second coming of Christ in the audio industry.

Anyway, my question is about the Mundolf oil cap upgrade... Are there any owners out there who got the upgrade and if so, is there a big difference? Its a $700 upgrade..lots of money for my budget...:D
Common sense would suggest that $700 is an awful lot of money to spend improving speakers already considered the second coming of Christ in the audio industry.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You are in the wrong place to talk about Tektons, although they have been picking up followers, the following here in minimal...

I own a pair of Lores and use them in a tube powered 2.0 system just for music, in my bedroom.. I love them and feel for the price of the lores there isn't much out there that can stand with them and alone...

I have heard the pendragons, mlores, bookshelfs and all have been good, but the lores to me were the best value {and best sounding}... I wouldnt spend 700 for the upgrade, IMO tekton is a decent speaker for someone looking for an efficient pair of speakers that doesnt want to follow the heard and doesnt have a huge budget..

NOW as far as not using a sub for theater, NO you need a sub... or 4

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Do the LORE's fill the room enough at low - moderate volume? I am in a small room.. about 13 x 13 x 10. Do you think it'll fill the room when watching movies at moderate to low level listening? For some reason, I have heard the Pends and the eNZO's fill up the room completely even at lower volumes, but the Lore's not so much... This is my biggest concern since it would be very nice to have a room filled sound even at low volumes/ late night movie viewing.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Common sense would suggest that $700 is an awful lot of money to spend improving speakers already considered the second coming of Christ in the audio industry.
Yeah kinda decided not to go with the upgrade today...

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
That suggests that he does not believe his own claims. People who are completely satisfied with what they have do not want to upgrade.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Do the LORE's fill the room enough at low - moderate volume? I am in a small room.. about 13 x 13 x 10. Do you think it'll fill the room when watching movies at moderate to low level listening? For some reason, I have heard the Pends and the eNZO's fill up the room completely even at lower volumes, but the Lore's not so much... This is my biggest concern since it would be very nice to have a room filled sound even at low volumes/ late night movie viewing.
The lores with 40watts fill my bedroom and master bath (all of 400 sq feet)with ease, the bass is tight and the highs are crisp, even being powered by the small tube amp...

S

SearchofSub

Banned
The lores with 40watts fill my bedroom and master bath (all of 400 sq feet)with ease, the bass is tight and the highs are crisp, even being powered by the small tube amp...

I was planning to get the enzo's but after hearing your thoughts I think I am gonna just settle for the LORE's instead.

What is up with the people at AVsforum? They are so hellbent on bashing the Tektons. There was a new guy who just bought the enzo's and I really wanted to get his review but the other "expert" members who have never heard them told him off so he ended up never posting his review of his enzo's.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Some guys think the measurements are more important than what you hea. The Korea are a real nic speaker. I love how they sound with live tracks. And they are efficient. Order what you like the looms and sound of. There is a lot about tekton to like.. the lore are a good buy. If you add up all the materials it comes out to more than half of the cost. So to me I don't mind paying a few hundred to have the boxes made and painted. Its a good deal

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I was planning to get the enzo's but after hearing your thoughts I think I am gonna just settle for the LORE's instead.

What is up with the people at AVsforum? They are so hellbent on bashing the Tektons. There was a new guy who just bought the enzo's and I really wanted to get his review but the other "expert" members who have never heard them told him off so he ended up never posting his review of his enzo's.
The issues are this

1) The Tektons utilize driver placement that is known to cause issues.

2) There are no? or at least very few 3rd party measurements of them.

3) Measurements mean quite a bit when it comes to speakers if you're looking for something accurate

4) Even if you don't like accurate sound measurements identify things that you do like and allow you to at least get a good idea what a speaker will sound like, in general, without hearing it.

All that being said, buy what you like and sounds good to you. However, don't expect guys who prize accurate sound to make a big hoolabaloo over speakers that would appear to have obvious flaws and provide no evidence to the contrary. I'd love to hear a pair of Tektons and especially snag a few measurements, but I'm not about to pay thousands for an unknown quantity when there are so many known quantities out there in the same price range or less. Plus, if you're handy with a saw, glue, and whatever type of finishing you like there are cheaper options that are just as efficient.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Why are you running the Ascend 340se as your home theatre fronts if you can go with the Lore's as fronts for home theatre?

Is it because the Lore's do not have a dedicated 5.1 line out? I am going to be 85% movies so I am very curious..

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Tekton speakers are unique in some ways, and if you're not an audiophile or critical listener, you might prefer their set of compromises. They can get loud, their driver arrays are conductive to some unusual imaging (which some of us might refer to as "messy".), and their choice of driver materials tend to be self-damping, although that will push resonance lower in frequency and wider in bandwidth (which as Olive et all's research shows, actually makes the resonance more audible, but some people prefer their sound being masked by this resonance)

My real issue with them is the 15 percent restocking fee, which probably doesn't even include return shipping. 15% of a 2000 dollar speaker is $300!

At that price point for that set of compromises I would very much rather have the SVS Ultra Towers, which are comparably dynamic and "fun/musical", look better, and have free return shipping with no restocking fee. That's how internet direct business should be conducted. And believe me, I do not consider the SVS speakers accurate enough for my preferences - audibly or measurably.

I don't mean to rain on your parade though... congrats on the new speakers and hopefully you like them. But your fair evaluation of them has been compromised by

1) Your reliance on other people's subjective opinions resulting in an impatient purchase. You mentioned that the tektons are "plain old just "good to the ears" and musicality." but I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I could say that about any speaker and it wouldn't have any meaning, other than as a preconditioning.
2) The fact that you would have to pay $300 to return them.

If you can evaluate them while forgetting the above two factors, I would love to hear your honest thoughts, either way.

And definitely, definitely don't spend $700 on the mundorf cap upgrade, please. That's enough money to buy, for example, a pair of SEOS Tempest kits!

S

SearchofSub

Banned
I'm not sure if its my ears or my computer speakers but I can tell a difference between speakers through Youtube Videos the owners put up when I concentrate hard enough.

I loved the sound of the Lore's that was up on Youtube. It was seriously in the league with the Wilson MAXX II or III's which cost $300,000.

I also heard the B&W 800 series and compare to the Lore's the bass is just way too boomy and it just sounds muddy and dead.

Compare to the Pardigm studio 100's, the same.

The Wilson on the other hand sounds BETTER than the Lore's. It just sounds more lively and clearer. Its almost like a veil being lifted compare to the Lore's. However, they also cost $300,000 more.

The Ascend Sierra 1's had a better and clearer tone than the B&W's and the Paradigms, but compare to the Lore's it just sounds too thin.

Anyway, I am going to place my order with the Lore's coming monday along with the Bipole sorrounds from the Lore line, (and maybe their new 18' cinema sub later down the line) so I will post my impressions once I get them.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Tekton speakers are unique in some ways, and if you're not an audiophile or critical listener, you might prefer their set of compromises. They can get loud, their driver arrays are conductive to some unusual imaging (which some of us might refer to as "messy".), and their choice of driver materials tend to be self-damping, although that will push resonance lower in frequency and wider in bandwidth (which as Olive et all's research shows, actually makes the resonance more audible, but some people prefer their sound being masked by this resonance)

My real issue with them is the 15 percent restocking fee, which probably doesn't even include return shipping. 15% of a 2000 dollar speaker is $300!

At that price point for that set of compromises I would very much rather have the SVS Ultra Towers, which are comparably dynamic and "fun/musical", look better, and have free return shipping with no restocking fee. That's how internet direct business should be conducted. And believe me, I do not consider the SVS speakers accurate enough for my preferences - audibly or measurably.

I don't mean to rain on your parade though... congrats on the new speakers and hopefully you like them. But your fair evaluation of them has been compromised by

1) Your reliance on other people's subjective opinions resulting in an impatient purchase. You mentioned that the tektons are "plain old just "good to the ears" and musicality." but I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I could say that about any speaker and it wouldn't have any meaning, other than as a preconditioning.
2) The fact that you would have to pay $300 to return them.

If you can evaluate them while forgetting the above two factors, I would love to hear your honest thoughts, either way.

And definitely, definitely don't spend $700 on the mundorf cap upgrade, please. That's enough money to buy, for example, a pair of SEOS Tempest kits!

Yep, not gonna get the cap upgrade.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not sure if its my ears or my computer speakers but I can tell a difference between speakers through Youtube Videos the owners put up when I concentrate hard enough.
It's your subconscious manipulating the conscious based on things you want to believe. Plus maybe a little bit of difference in recording quality depending on the video. Bottom line, you can't gauge how a speaker sounds based on a youtube video. All you're evaluating is recording quality and the computer speakers you are listening to.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja

I loved the sound of the Lore's that was up on Youtube. It was seriously in the league with the Wilson MAXX II or III's which cost $300,000.

I also heard the B&W 800 series and compare to the Lore's the bass is just way too boomy and it just sounds muddy and dead.

Compare to the Pardigm studio 100's, the same.

The Wilson on the other hand sounds BETTER than the Lore's. It just sounds more lively and clearer. Its almost like a veil being lifted compare to the Lore's. However, they also cost $300,000 more.

The Ascend Sierra 1's had a better and clearer tone than the B&W's and the Paradigms, but compare to the Lore's it just sounds too thin.

Anyway, I am going to place my order with the Lore's coming monday along with the Bipole sorrounds from the Lore line, (and maybe their new 18' cinema sub later down the line) so I will post my impressions once I get them.
Slow down! Didn't you just order the Enzos?

I suggest you go out and listen to actual speakers in real life. Not only were you really just "listening to your own speakers with different EQ" with the youtube crap, but you're missing out on a lot of what makes speakers special to listen to.

Find a local audio store that sells KEF, Revel, PMC, RBH Sound, Genelec, Audiokinesis, JBL Pro LSR. DON'T read any one else's opinion before hearing these. Don't let anyone's thoughts get in your head of what to expect. Just go to the store and listen. Bring a notepad, bring your favorite music, maybe a good blu ray of a movie (IE Dark Knight) and just ask to listen. Wait til your enzos are completed and arrive at your house, and do a good comparision. Only buy the lores if you're actually satisfied with what you're hearing compared to what you've heard IN REAL LIFE. That also applies to the Paradigm, Wilson, B&W stuff - hearing it on youtube is not even remotely a substitute for hearing it. Mind you I have fun watching some of the videos Danley Sound Labs puts up of their speakers sounding flawless at 100+ db in wide open football fields etc but that does not even mildly mean I have heard a Jericho horn in my life. Especially not while listening to my OWN source material that I am actually familiar with.

There's a lot of interesting speakers out there in the internet direct market, and all of them have loads of hype. Until you've got a firm grasp on what you actually like to hear, you shouldn't be shelling out money like it's nothing.

Last edited:
S

SearchofSub

Banned
I was gonna get the ENZO's but a member here Imcloud posted good enough review that I am getting a cheaper model, the LORE's instead. I am going to be running these on a reciever, not a seperate two channel amp, and its mostly for movies in a fairly small room, 13 x 13 x 10 so I thought I order the lesser line (from enzo to Lores) and use the leftover money on a custom made Lore bipole sorrounds instead.

I'm not sure if its my mind playing tricks, but seriously through the youtube videos I can kind of HEAR the Lores having similar chracteristics with the Wilson MAXX II or III than any other speakers that is put up on Youtube.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Hmm, I didn't realize they hated Tekton that much over on AVS. Any better over here? ;)

As long as you enjoy your speakers. It's all that matters. What kind of music do you listen to?

Regarding subs, I think you will want to get at least 2. :D

I have Salon2, which go down to 20Hz in-room, yet, I was using dual Funk 18.0 subs with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis