Tekton Double Impact?

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
Tekton, as well as, Philharmonic, Salk, Ascend, and a few others can usually point you in the direction of a customer somewhat near you that is willing to demo a product FWIW. Personally I’d prefer speakers with a more traditional alignment than most of the tektons, that’s not to say others are bad by any means.

ALSO deftech subs, with 2 exceptions, are not good and never take their measurements seriously.
Where are you located?

The CBT speakers here are an excellent value for a non traditional speaker
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/big-cleanup-sale.112786/#post-1273749
Long Island, NY.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I was just paying closer attention to the Double Impact on photos.
Why do the drivers look so cheap? Specially the woofers?
They have that cardboard on top in case you want to mount them the other way? (Not in the surface but inside the cabinet)
Are they off the shelf cheap drivers not even made by them?
Also no double post for biamping?
They look very cheap.
Is it about the cabinet construction/design and placements of the drivers?
They don’t look like they are worth $3k... but I guess if the sound is that good...
Driver looks dont tell any story. My sub drivers arent the prettiest but the perform well. As for biamping, passively is a waste of time as no audible benefits with most speakers. Dual/tri binding post with a passive crossover is typically more marketing than benefit.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Long Island, NY.
You can email Jim at Salk, Dennis at Philharmonic (Dennis is the primary crossover designer for Salk and proprietor of Philharmonic) for demos. RICHB you have to PM as to his location, but for the money his CBTs would make a great addition if your roon can accommodate them. The CBTs have wicked dynamic range, and Don's white paper on them is well regarded https://www.parts-express.com/epique-cbt24

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was just paying closer attention to the Double Impact on photos.
Why do the drivers look so cheap? Specially the woofers?
They have that cardboard on top in case you want to mount them the other way? (Not in the surface but inside the cabinet)
Are they off the shelf cheap drivers not even made by them?
Also no double post for biamping?
They look very cheap.
Is it about the cabinet construction/design and placements of the drivers?
They don’t look like they are worth $3k... but I guess if the sound is that good...
They use high-sensitivity woofers. They are likely treated paper cones. There is nothing inherently bad about that.
Bi-amping is a goofy feature on a lot of home audio loudspeakers. It is only advantageous in rare circumstances.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Driver looks dont tell any story. My sub drivers arent the prettiest but the perform well. As for biamping, passively is a waste of time as no audible benefits with most speakers. Dual/tri binding post with a passive crossover is typically more marketing than benefit.
Don't remember for certain where, but I know i've seen mention in some of the reviews that Eric prefers lightweight drivers. I think I recall mention of drivers with papyrus fibers to stiffen the cones without adding weight? (I'm not a speaker designer, but it sounds in-line with his philosophy.) I've seen other references to Seas Drivers, as well as other manufactures here in the US as well as Italy... probably elsewhere too.

I also recall seeing somewhere that he's not a fan of bi-amping.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Don't remember for certain where, but I know i've seen mention in some of the reviews that Eric prefers lightweight drivers. I think I recall mention of drivers with papyrus fibers to stiffen the cones without adding weight? (I'm not a speaker designer, but it sounds in-line with his philosophy.) I've seen other references to Seas Drivers, as well as other manufactures here in the US as well as Italy... probably elsewhere too.

I also recall seeing somewhere that he's not a fan of bi-amping.
Not sure what he would have meant by light weight drivers, possibly cone material, but driver construction is complex from the magnet, to pole construction, to cone material, to all T/S parameters. Some are made for the speaker design others fit a broader design parameter

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure what he would have meant by light weight drivers, possibly cone material, but driver construction is complex from the magnet, to pole construction, to cone material, to all T/S parameters. Some are made for the speaker design others fit a broader design parameter
'Think the cone material is what is referenced.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's something about the mass mentioned in the DD description on the Tekton site:

For example: the plucked and resonating low ‘e’ note (41Hz) on a Fender Jazz bass guitar has a moving mass of 19 grams. The highest reviewed and well-regarded subwoofers of today have cones with an average of 200-300 grams of moving mass to reproduce the same low ‘e’ tone. This is the equivalent of a Formula One team showing up on race day with a special new race car that has 15,000 pounds of sand added to it! Our competitors are building subwoofers in this exact way today. A subwoofer with 300 grams of moving mass can only give you a dulled out response down to 15Hz.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Read the link I gave earlier in this thread, where Tekton makes all sorts of claims about speaker drivers that would makes fans of Cleveland Steamers blush with embarrassment.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There's something about the mass mentioned in the DD description on the Tekton site:

For example: the plucked and resonating low ‘e’ note (41Hz) on a Fender Jazz bass guitar has a moving mass of 19 grams. The highest reviewed and well-regarded subwoofers of today have cones with an average of 200-300 grams of moving mass to reproduce the same low ‘e’ tone. This is the equivalent of a Formula One team showing up on race day with a special new race car that has 15,000 pounds of sand added to it! Our competitors are building subwoofers in this exact way today. A subwoofer with 300 grams of moving mass can only give you a dulled out response down to 15Hz.
This is just nonsense. I looked over this guys patent, and it is ridiculous. It's all marketing gibberish with total ignorance of the physics of sound.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
That's what I've been saying.

It makes some of the claims of the high-end cable crooks seem grounded in solid science (in comparison to his ludicrous claims).

I wouldn't support that company with any money no matter what the speakers sound like.

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
This is just nonsense. I looked over this guys patent, and it is ridiculous. It's all marketing gibberish with total ignorance of the physics of sound.
And that’s what I’m afraid of.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I picked up a pair of Tekton Double Impact speakers several months ago and find them to be excellent. If I had to use one word to describe them it would be "neutral". Tekton offered a two month return policy but there is no chance that I will be parting with these speakers any time soon.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I picked up a pair of Tekton Double Impact speakers several months ago and find them to be excellent. If I had to use one word to describe them it would be "neutral". Tekton offered a two month return policy but there is no chance that I will be parting with these speakers any time soon.
What did they replace?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis