• Thread starter sterling shoote
  • Start date
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just a few years ago, while digitizing an LP, I wondered if my turntable's cartridge might need a stylus replacement. Looking into it, I discovered a replacement stylus was no longer made. Now, forced to think about replacing the cartridge with another, I realized my 43 year old Sony PS-4750 Turntable could not accommodate the cartridge I had my eyes on. It appeared I would not be able to get the correct vertical tracking angle for the stylus by any means. Well, this made me think perhaps after 43 years it might be appropriate to consider a new turntable with features which could get me a more satisfying experience overall with my LP's than what I was getting from the vintage Sony. So, while appraising turntables which could accommodate the cartridge I wanted, I learned about the latest in the Technics SL-1200 Series, the SL-1210GR. This turntable had all the features which were absent on the Sony: like VTA adjustment, leveling feet, azimuth adjustable headshell, and speed stability, making me conclude this was the turntable I needed, although I would first need to find a means to purchase the $1699.99 priced product. At any rate, I scraped the money together and I have now enjoyed the turntable for about three weeks using my old cartridge to better understand if the feature set of the Technics is actually helping to deliver more from the groove. There's no doubt about that, and in fact, the Technics seems to have the engineering to even please perfectionists with bigger budgets than mine. There is one issue that does need to be fixed however. The tonearm lift makes a squeaking/clicking sound during its use to drop or lift the tonearm from the record. Contact with Technics assures me that once the tonearm damping fluid distributes itself the squeaking sound will go away. Since my LP's all sound better and a new cartridge promises even more, I am not too concerned about the tonearm lift, which could be cured with a little WD-40.

I

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have a
Technics SL-1210Mk5
and it is also a great TT

S

sterling shoote

This was the issue: the tonearm lift makes a squeaking/clicking sound during its use to drop or lift the tonearm from the record. Contact with Technics assures me that once the tonearm damping fluid distributes itself the squeaking sound will go away. Update: the issue has been resolved. Just wiping the tonearm rest with my finger has completely eliminated the squeaking/clicking sound upon tonearm drop or lift.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I have now enjoyed the turntable for about...
We should have an emoji for jealous. :mad: ;) There was a very well kept Mk5 (as you probably know, 5 means it's much younger) in the ads. The guy was asking too much and I was waiting to see if it'll change.

It did. It is not in the ads any more!

S

sterling shoote

We should have an emoji for jealous. :mad:;) There was a very well kept Mk5 (as you probably know, 5 means it's much younger) in the ads. The guy was asking too much and I was waiting to see if it'll change.

It did. It is not in the ads any more!
Sometimes it's the hunt that's most entertaining. One thing for sure, these turntables are not cheap new or used. I purchased mine from B & H and got free shipping. I also have an interest free credit card, good for about 14 months to pay it off. I hope I do not need 14 months to pay it off; but, on a fixed income with very little moonlighting these days, 14 months may not be enough. At any rate, I will keep an eye out for you. BTW, I am really pleased with mine, just wish that LPs were better quality.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Sometimes it's the hunt that's most entertaining. One thing for sure, these turntables are not cheap new or used. I purchased mine from B & H and got free shipping. I also have an interest free credit card, good for about 14 months to pay it off. I hope I do not need 14 months to pay it off; but, on a fixed income with very little moonlighting these days, 14 months may not be enough. At any rate, I will keep an eye out for you. BTW, I am really pleased with mine, just wish that LPs were better quality.
You're very kind. No need to keep an eye out for me. I'm half way around the globe. It wouldn't do me much good.

Thank you aynway and enjoy your TT. I hope you have no troubles with payments.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis