Technics rack stereo system any good?

L

Loualex

Enthusiast
I am looking at an old technics stereo rack system with cabinet and a31 speakers. It is in very good condition amd very reasonably priced, but i am not sure how good is it. Is it hifi sound, really poor sound or somewhere in between. Would it be a decent system or just good for garage stuff?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Is this the one?

(There is a CD player hidden behind the "Technics Tower" label).

More info if that is it:
http://www.foundvalue.com/photo/technics-home-audio-shelf-system-with-turntable-7751

PS - I am not familiar with this so cannot comment; however, you did not give enough info for us to help you.
Also, be specific, what is a "very reasonable" price? For $100, if everything works and you are pleased with the sound, go for it.

At some point Technics went from being "Upscale Panasonic" to a non-entity in the audio sector. Depending when that was, this could be a fairly competent system (but not anything to get excited about) or a glorified boombox repackaged in separate over-sized boxes to look like a legit system.

I did see the speakers being sold separately for $129/pr on ebay FWIW. Unfortunately, I have seen some pretty crappy stuff being designated as "vintage" with a price tag that is a total rip-off, so I would not put too much stock in that.

If you are not familiar with Vinyl, I would comment that you don't want to get into it on a limited budget. Likely this turntable/stylus will damage your records. Even if the turntable turns out to be good (and Technics did maker some good turntables),chances are the stylus is in poor condition. I'd hate to see you buy this and build up a record collection only to find that your records no longer sounded very good once you replaced it with a nicer system.

One reasonable test for quality is the weight of the amp. as a Class A amp, it should be heavy if it is a quality unit.

Also make sure there is no scratchy noise when you adjust the volume, bass, or treble knobs and that the surrounds of the speakers (the outer-most hump around the circumference of the speaker drivers) is in good shape and flexible!

Good luck!

Last edited:
L

Loualex

Enthusiast
I like the fact that it is a complete system in itself so i dont have to worry about matching components anymore. But i have heard mixed comments on technics stereo racks.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you take the grills off of the speakers, I think that is identical to the one I posted.

What do you plan to use for your source?
At $300, I'd offer this as an alternative if you don't have a big collection of Cassettes or Vinyl. You can use your TV, PC (also as a CD player), and Phone (BT) as sources. It has 5 inputs and R/C so essentially includes the function of receiver in the package:

This looks like a typical 2.1 PC system, but is designed to fill a living room!

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-Bookshelf-Subwoofer-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B077Y6PHKQ/ref=asc_df_B077Y6PHKQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309751315916&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9768218150651701558&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010826&hvtargid=pla-570278124953&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=67183599252&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309751315916&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9768218150651701558&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010826&hvtargid=pla-570278124953

https://www.avforums.com/review/edifier-s350db-2-1-speaker-system-review.15344#sectionAnchor56870

And a video review (by a colorful reviewer):

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The above system for 250?
I had something similar back in Jr High and HS, mid-'80-early '90s. I think it was a Panasonic. My Dad wouldn't have bought it if it was more than a buck-fitty [read: $150.00]. I wouldn't buy that Technics today for anything over the 'fitty.'
But that's just me.
I'd like to ask please, why are you interested in it? (Other than not having to "match components?") If its simply a matter of hipster steez, go or it. If you are interested in sound, you can do better, and I would refer you back to our friend Kew's previous post... or something similar.
That's my $.02...
Regardless: your ducats, your choice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like the fact that it is a complete system in itself so i dont have to worry about matching components anymore. But i have heard mixed comments on technics stereo racks.
What do you mean by "matching components"? One great thing about components is the ability to use them with a variety of gear....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Is this the one?

(There is a CD player hidden behind the "Technics Tower" label).

More info if that is it:
http://www.foundvalue.com/photo/technics-home-audio-shelf-system-with-turntable-7751

PS - I am not familiar with this so cannot comment; however, you did not give enough info for us to help you.
Also, be specific, what is a "very reasonable" price? For $100, if everything works and you are pleased with the sound, go for it.

At some point Technics went from being "Upscale Panasonic" to a non-entity in the audio sector. Depending when that was, this could be a fairly competent system (but not anything to get excited about) or a glorified boombox repackaged in separate over-sized boxes to look like a legit system.

I did see the speakers being sold separately for $129/pr on ebay FWIW. Unfortunately, I have seen some pretty crappy stuff being designated as "vintage" with a price tag that is a total rip-off, so I would not put too much stock in that.

If you are not familiar with Vinyl, I would comment that you don't want to get into it on a limited budget. Likely this turntable/stylus will damage your records. Even if the turntable turns out to be good (and Technics did maker some good turntables),chances are the stylus is in poor condition. I'd hate to see you buy this and build up a record collection only to find that your records no longer sounded very good once you replaced it with a nicer system.

One reasonable test for quality is the weight of the amp. as a Class A amp, it should be heavy if it is a quality unit.

Also make sure there is no scratchy noise when you adjust the volume, bass, or treble knobs and that the surrounds of the speakers (the outer-most hump around the circumference of the speaker drivers).

Good luck!
Technics is currently back in the game with new (higher end) turntable releases. I had a mid level Technics TT and cassette deck back in the early 80s and they were pretty good. Never had a rack system of any kind though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis