Techflex Diameter for Sound King 12AWG

D

dohanc

Junior Audioholic
Thinking about making my DIY speaker cable from 12AWG Sound King from Parts Express. Note: I do not plan to braid the wires together. There are no dimensions for the thickness of the cable so I'm not sure what diameter techflex to order. I'm debating between 1/4" and 3/8". Anyone have any experience with this.

I'm also still debating about using some Belkin 5000 series wire from BlueJeansCable.com which is almost identical to the price of the Sound King. Only benefit I see in this is the twisted pair which should help bring the inductance down a little bit from mutual inductance. I believe it is not enough to make any difference though.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
dohanc said:
Thinking about making my DIY speaker cable from 12AWG Sound King from Parts Express. Note: I do not plan to braid the wires together. There are no dimensions for the thickness of the cable so I'm not sure what diameter techflex to order. I'm debating between 1/4" and 3/8". Anyone have any experience with this.

I'm also still debating about using some Belkin 5000 series wire from BlueJeansCable.com which is almost identical to the price of the Sound King. Only benefit I see in this is the twisted pair which should help bring the inductance down a little bit from mutual inductance. I believe it is not enough to make any difference though.

You should stop worrying and buy by gauge and least price unless looks are important :D

D

dohanc

Junior Audioholic
I'm not worried. Either way I guarantee there is no difference in audio quality. The cable is almost exactly the same price. I have no need to go under 12AWG.

Duffinator: Thanks for replying. I saw your post as I was searching through it, you just never mentioned which size techflex you used. I'm guessing the round Belkin cable is a little thicker than the Sound King wire, so if it fits on the Belkin cable, I'm sure it will be fine on the Sound King.

BlueJeansCable.com has some bannana plug (no picture yet) that they describe as "fastens to wire using set screws; wire must be "doubled back" before insertion in plug body; "locking" collar tightens plug to binding post" I'm guessing this locking collar are much like the Cobalt ones that you used Duffinator. These go for $5.25 a pair.

Maybe I'll try those out, but I'll probally just stick with one order to Parts Express. Thanks for your help.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was also looking at the Soundking but for the same price, actually cheaper as I only ondered what I needed and not a spool of 100 ft., I thought the Belden looked nicer. I also ordered it from Bluejeans and they are very fast. I'd use the black with the grey cover of the Belden for a nice look. The "carbon" is basically the same grey color as the Belden and didn't quite provide the look I was hoping for. I'm going to make a second pair for my bi-amp cables and will use the black. Have fun with your project! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis