Target Sides with Blu-ray

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Target stores is siding with Blu-ray starting in October, making BD players and titles available to shoppers in time for the holiday season. Target is the second largest retailer in the US and this presents a very significant setback for HD DVD proponents.

Discuss "Target Sides with Blu-ray" here. Read the article.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I thought Target was going to continue selling HD DVD software and was just expanding its Blu-ray discs and starting to sell some BD players too. At least that was what I was reading yesterday? Has that really changed?

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Target has a very limited selection of DVDs anyway. I think most people get there stuff from Bestbuy, circuitcity, Walmart, and amazon..probably even in that order.

I think eventually both formats will coexist, with more universal players coming soon.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Target is doing the following (I believe my info and research is correct):

1. They will carry stand alone Blu-ray players in stores exclusively
2. They will offer both HD DVD and Blu-ray movie titles
3. They will still carry the X-Box 360 add-on HD DVD drive in stores
4. They will (duh) carry the PS3 which includes Blu-ray
5. They will offer all of these items, including HD DVD stand alone Toshiba players online.

I am not of the opinion that universal players are going to drop in price enough to make a difference in this war as there seems to be a rather obvious lean of the industry, backed by consumers, towards Blu-ray at this time. Realistically, if Universal goes Blu-ray then pretty much 100% of all movies will be available on that format.

As for price... It's just my experience, but two days ago the Sony BPD-301S player was in Sam's Club for $440.00 (no HD DVD there) and across the street at Best Buy the Toshiba A2 was $300 and the A20, which is more comparible (kind of) was $400.

So, if Universal goes neutral then that $150.00, and falling, price difference will deliver nearly 100% of what you will ever want to see.

This holiday season I believe Blu-ray will significantly dominate and early 2008 may spark some reaction from Universal. Should that happen, HD DVD likely has numbered days.

Please note: The 'Samsung' branded HD DVD/Blu-ray combo player coming out shortly is being produced by a Samsung & Toshiba joint venture that is 51% owned by Toshiba, not Samsung.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Clint- I think you are wrong about Target stopping carrying HD DVD titles. You ought to clarify that with Target and correct it in your article if wrong.

Here is a quote from Sony's press release on the Target deal.

"Target spokesman Brie Heath said: Target is “simply merchandising Blu-ray hardware as the initial foray into this exciting category. As with all our merchandise, we will track guest feedback and adjust as necessary.

“We are not proclaiming one format versus the other as the preferred consumer technology,” she added. “Software will continue to be available to our guests in both the Blu-ray and the HD DVD formats. Target is committed to providing our guests with exceptional technology solutions. Blu-ray is one of many solutions that our guests will find at Target.” http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=10947

It's based off an AP article, and they NEVER make mistakes.... lol. My guess is somebody got haughty... followed by a panic and backup.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I read somewhere that this all came about when Sony offered to pay for Blu-Ray endcaps in the Target stores. I don't think it has anything to do with Target wanting to be involved in a format war.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
It's based off an AP article, and they NEVER make mistakes.... lol. My guess is somebody got haughty... followed by a panic and backup.
Does that mean that you stand by the AP article or are going to edit your article?

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
You're the only one still reading it. :)
My question was from 5 days ago which 2 days after the article was posted. So, are you standing by the AP article or are you going to edit your article?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis