P

powermang

Enthusiast
Don't see much written on this sub, could be a bad sign. Anyone have an opinion or experience with this model?
TANNOY TS2.12

I can possibly get a deal on this one that is hard to ignore.

Looking at the specs it seems respectable.
Frequency Response: 21Hz at -6dB
On-Board Power: 500W RMS Class D

Would be pairing with ELAC debut 2.0 bookshelf's and centre and surrounds.
I have been saving for an ELAC sub 3010 or possibly a SVS PB-100, (although that may be a little out of my range) , but this popped up at a fair savings.

Thoughts?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What size is your room, please? LxWxH. Room volume is important for LF... Please include whether it is a closed room or oopen to other areas.
Also, please what's your usage Music:HT?
Thanks!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Don't see much written on this sub, could be a bad sign. Anyone have an opinion or experience with this model?
TANNOY TS2.12

I can possibly get a deal on this one that is hard to ignore.

Looking at the specs it seems respectable.
Frequency Response: 21Hz at -6dB
On-Board Power: 500W RMS Class D

Would be pairing with ELAC debut 2.0 bookshelf's and centre and surrounds.
I have been saving for an ELAC sub 3010 or possibly a SVS PB-100, (although that may be a little out of my range) , but this popped up at a fair savings.

Thoughts?
Here's a good review on the Tannoy sub:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/tannoy-ts212-powered-subwoofer

P

powermang

Enthusiast
The room is 15x12 dedicated media room and yes it is a closed area, pretty much rectanguler with a small cut out on the sidewall for a bar.

Mostly will be using for home theater set up with a pioneer VSX-LX303.
5.1.4 atmos set up.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The room is 15x12 dedicated media room and yes it is a closed area, pretty much rectanguler with a small cut out on the sidewall for a bar.

Mostly will be using for home theater set up with a pioneer VSX-LX303.
5.1.4 atmos set up.
and another review here: https://www.avforums.com/review/tannoy-ts2-12-active-subwoofer-review.9539

My opinion is that you can get a better sub, especially if you're going to be digging into movies with true LFE. That little Tannoy is looking good for a small listening room where you need LF music support for speakers that can't truly hold their own.

Assuming in your case, 8' ceilings, your room is just under 1500'3. A PB1000 would work better for you, I think. PB or PC 2000 would be the way to go, frankly. Also worth considering is Hsu VTF2mk5. The new Speedwoofer (i'm not very familiar with it yet) has been getting some raves and may work well for you.

In the end, any of those should work pretty well as a single sub. I definitely recommend multiple subs because they smooth out your bass response in the room. Either way, taking shortcuts on a subwoofer can leave you wanting more. One good sub is worth way more than 2-3 'meh' subs! Consider: buy the best single sub you can allow yourself to afford now, then if needed, start saving for a second matching one. ;)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Good for music, not so much for ULFs in HT. An f3 at 20hz would be my minimal target.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In my case, not even good enough for music. But not all audiophiles listen to pipe organ though. :)

I'm having LF problems with my listening room. When I bypass Audyssey, I have too much low frequency output, I'm even very annoyed with commercials on TV having soundtracks containing very low frequency content. I have to use the Tone Control set at -6dB for the lows.

I will definitely need a good LF equalizing unit in the near future, possibly the Dirac Live product.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I've been thinking about this for when my Phil 3s arrive.
That's exactly what I was thinking about too!

If you get one, it would be good to have your comments and your exact experience with it. On my part, I would do the same.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's exactly what I was thinking about too!

If you get one, it would be good to have your comments and your exact experience with it. On my part, I would do the same.
Based on some stuff that Dennis said back in December, I think I might still be quite a ways out on my Phil 3s. A set of 3s and matching custom BMRs he was teasing me with then, in the color I wanted, were supposed to be coming in. According to a post on that other forum, Jim is just shipping them to Dennis now. Which puts my expectation of May delivery off to July potentially. :(
Bummer. But Dennis' health and stability are much more important than waiting two extra months. And both Dennis and Jim were very influential in my decision to learn about speaker design and construction.

Anyway. I'll share when the time comes! Bet!!! :cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think one reason you don't see much about Tannoy in this forum is it's largely US based and even Tannoy speakers aren't widespread, didn't even know they made subs until I saw this. Looks too expensive for performance to me.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I think one reason you don't see much about Tannoy in this forum is it's largely US based and even Tannoy speakers aren't widespread, didn't even know they made subs until I saw this. Looks too expensive for performance to me.
You meant UK based, didn't you?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis