T2 Ultimate Edition...

S

Sinsemilla

Audioholic Intern
Over the past month I picked up some new speakers, after my basement flooded and killed my Bose system (thank god, I can't believe how much of a noob I was). I've watched nearly every movie I have and 2 of my friends entire DVD collections as well. Can't get enough of it. Have to give a lot of credit to the information on this site... prior to the setup tips etc. my system didn't sound 1/2 as good (huge pile of powercords over lapped w/ speaker wires behind my entertainment center, improperly calibrated speaker levels, etc). So anyways, I'm getting down to the end of DVD collection and tonight I grabbed T2 Ultimate Edition off the shelf. THX Certified combined w/ a DTS mix on top of it... just rediculous. DTS by itself (provided it's mastered well) kills DD impo anyway, but I mean this was even better. The placement of every effect & the most minute background sound is perfect, not to mention the bass channel really hits hard. My friends and I were dumbfounded. Which brings up the question, why aren't all DVDs mastered like this?? Most DVDs I own are THX mastered DD EX mixes, and I'll admit even though they sound nice on my HT, I definitely see the improvement in sound quality playing them on my PC w/ a THX cert soundcard and THX cert speakers: The tonal accuracy and overall sound quality is clearer and the bass is more crispr, dispite the fact I only have a 2.1 Klipsch system.

I found the DD EX mix on Revenge of the Sith to be very enjoyable on my HT; still didn't compare to the DTS mix on the T2 Ult Edition though.

I'm sure higher quality systems make anything sound awesome, (but I'm a 22yr old college student only able to work part-time, so school comes 1st), but a DVD mastered as well as this one, makes even my $2000 system sound spectacular. Are all DVDs not mastered to this level of quality because it costs a lot, or because of deals w/ certain recording studios, or because they want you to have the more expensive equipment to make normal mixes sound great? I don't understand.

/end rant >.>

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sound quality is entirely up to the engineer. Older movies that were not digitally mastered for DD/DTS usually don't sound as good, but even with newer movies you can get a lousy engineer. Check out stuff like The Lord of the Rings trilogy Extended Editions, Gladiator and Blade 2 in DTS-ES

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis