System Upgrade Advice

C

CosmicLateralus

Audiophyte
Hello,
I would very much appreciate some advice regarding how to upgrade my current setup for a more immersive movie watching and gaming experience. My current setup is as follows:
Marantz SR7012 Reciever
Definitive Technology Mythos STS Supertowers, Mythos 9 center channel, x2 Mythos Gems
SVS SB-3000 subwoofer
LG C9 Series OLED (“77)

What I am looking for is a more immersive experience. While the sound quality is good, there isn’t much going on in the way of 3D immersive/surround sound. I don’t know whether to buy a couple more gems? I am also interested in Dolby Atmos or some other surround sound processing but I just don’t know where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you want immersive, object based is your option, ie dtsx and atmos. Installing the necessary in ceiling speakers to start with, then potentially upgrading the front sound stage.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello,
I would very much appreciate some advice regarding how to upgrade my current setup for a more immersive movie watching and gaming experience. My current setup is as follows:
Marantz SR7012 Reciever
Definitive Technology Mythos STS Supertowers, Mythos 9 center channel, x2 Mythos Gems
SVS SB-3000 subwoofer
LG C9 Series OLED (“77)

What I am looking for is a more immersive experience. While the sound quality is good, there isn’t much going on in the way of 3D immersive/surround sound. I don’t know whether to buy a couple more gems? I am also interested in Dolby Atmos or some other surround sound processing but I just don’t know where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian
Posting pics of the room and layout may help.

You have 5.1 setup, so you should absolutely expect some decent immersive audio with what you have!

I'm thinking that you need to work on speaker positioning and addressing your room conditions.

Have you run Audyssee?

I would start with just a simple 2CH stereo source, and see how the imaging is on the main L/R speakers. Speakers that image well should easily trick your brain into "hearing sounds" that make you think the center channel is running when it is not. If you don't have that, then you need to play with the main L/R position and toe-in until you do.

Note that the Mythos line is more about form-factor vs. pure performance. But, those are decent speakers that should get you what you want. They are certainly better than a lot of garbage out there, but perhaps a bit pricey when you consider cost to performance ratio.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What are the room dimensions? Any particular speaker that seems to be lacking?

Agree you should try toe in. That can improve the imaging.

What are the AVR crossover settings on each speaker? I would maybe try raising it up to 100 or 110hz to see if that makes any improvement. (Yes I know there are subs in the towers, but you might be experiencing cancellations, nulls)

Good luck! :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thinking about this a bit more, OP should also be sure he doesn't have some goofy DSP killing his sound stage.

C

CosmicLateralus

Audiophyte
Thank you all for the input!
I recognize I have a non ideal layout, the tv is mounted above a fireplace in one corner and seating is a large L couch in the opposite corner, room is about 20’ by 30’ and has a high arched ceiling. I did run audyssey which helped. I feel like I have a good front stage but lacking in rear and above sound sources. I was hoping for input on what type of surround speakers I should add and where they should be added (or if that is not what I should be focusing on), I don’t know much about atmos but thought that may be something that is worth pursuing.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
Any valid assessment on whether you need more or upgraded surround speakers will never be accurate without room info about surround speaker placement in regards to your seating arrangement as well as which direction the speakers are aiming. Also need to take into account the level setting in your receiver for the surrounds as they may just be set too low.

That is the absolute minimum info needed to even begin to help you. Without that info we might as well pick random responses out of a hat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis