System Critique & Advice

R

robang

Enthusiast
Tried posts elsewhere.. not too many responses.. hopefully here some further advice and suggestions.
Recently had Dish installed over cable. Chose the add'l. HD Pak. Purchased Sony' KV34-HS420 HD ready Wega wide screen and the Sony RDR-GX300 DVD ply'r./rcrd'd.
Currently have (12 yrs. old) Atlantic Technology's System 150,(book shelf) consisting of two fr.'s, center.( two way dialog spkr. w/dual poly. 31/2" woofers and 1/2" dome twt'r.) two surr.(referred to as Spatially enhanced=dual 31/2" poly full range drivers) and a powered sub. 10", all are rated for 110W, Sens. 89dB and 8 ohm.
Not much for buying or renting DVD's, music listening..is whatever comes from the satellite and CD collection.
Considering the purchase of the Yamaha HTR5860 to complete a so-so HT set-up.

I have the DVI from HD Satellite rcv'r. to the HDMI on the TV cable also the Optical digital cable (both Phillips Gold 6'). Which from what I have read will enhance the video/audio.

After all of my rambling, I guess what I am asking is ..does this set-up sound okay for the enhanced viewing of the HD broadcasts and movies that I will be getting via HBO,, SHO, etc., audio also a consideration.

I am totally behind the A/V advances and in short would just like to enjoy TV watching/listening to a better level.
Would greatly appreciate whatever advice, sugg's. to make this happen.

Thanks to all in advance.

PS. As "Duffinator" asked the recv'r prev. used is the Sony(old) STR-D1011

Last edited:
Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
You didn't mention which receiver you currently have and I'm going to assume you have one and it's capable of decoding DD and DTS so:

HDTV, check
HDTV signal, check
5.1 speaker system, check
5.1 receiver, check
DVD player, check

Looks like you have what you need to get started.

The Yamaha receiver will be a nice start to your upgrades and then after that, in general, you will notice the biggest improvement in sound quality by purchasing better speakers and a subwoofer. If your sound system is OK now for movies and you are not interested in music sound quality I'd next look into a bigger TV. From my perspective the bigger the better. There is nothing like watching a movie on a 120" screen from your favorite projector. :D The newest Samsung 61" and Mitsubishi 62" 720P DLP rear projection TV's have terrific pictures and the prices are dropping fast as they prepare for the introduction of their new 1080P sets.

Good luck with the never ending cycle of upgraditis you will get from reading this forum. ;)

R

robang

Enthusiast
Thank you Duffinator, the recv'r is as old as the spk'r. sys., its a Sony STR-D1011 and I believe it is only capable of Dolby Surr.
Appreciate the thought to a bigger screen but my viewing room is only 14'x20' and of that, only a 9' run of a wall unit of which 40" total for a TV so the 391/8" of the Sony consumes that. Thanks again for the comeback.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Robang,

You may want to hold up on the 5860 purchase. Yamaha is soon coming out with a new line of receivers that accepts HDMI inputs. A new receiver that allows you to connect everything to it, then one line to the tv will make your life much simpler. HDMI, as you may well know, eliminates all the audio and video wires necessary for a digital connection. You want to control everything with one remote, and have the least amount of wires going to and from your cable box, receiver, and tv.

The setup you mentioned is perfect for your viewing needs. BTW, great tv set. KV34-HS420 HD ready Wega wide screen. Excellent choice.

It sounds like you're not into sound as much as video, so I'd hold off on the speaker upgrades and put that extra cash into a new Yamaha receiver with the HDMI inputs. If you can hold off for a few months, most of the manufacturers will be offering HDMI on the mid to upper level units. Just don't forget, the HD satellite feeds offer digital sound, and connecting your Dish box to your new receiver via HDMI (or any digital means) equals digital surround sound. My SA8300HD sound is as good as most of my dvd's.

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
I don't know what others have told you but the Atlantic techs are fine for your room. I have the system170 in my living room. I own a shop so I have access to several brands from Tru-Audio to Triad. I like Atlantic Techs as much as any of them in the same budget. :cool:

R

robang

Enthusiast
Not sure if this is correct way to respond to you Buckeyefan1 and the av-man, but if either of you receive this, thanks and if its not too much trouble..let me know if this is the way to respond to answered posts whether it be to say thank you or to just continue the conversations.

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
Yeah robang,
It's just a conversation on a computer, and you're welcome. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis