D

Drk87

Audiophyte
I have an lg surround system, I had it running with 2 front speakers and worked as usual, and I decided to connect the centre front speaker....when I did this the 2 other front speakers began to make a light bumping or tapping sound....from then on there is no sound whatsoever, the dvd player still turns on. Can anyone direct me to what may be wrong and if this can be fixed?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How did you connect a center? What is your source? Using an AVR or is it a HTIB?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Was the system powered on? Show the speaker terminals, if possible.

Disconnect the center channel speaker and see if it comes back.

D

Drk87

Audiophyte
reply to all who answered me. I am unsure what avr and htib are, but I connected with the two exposed wires like all the other speakers. The model is LG ht503th. Um, if I remember correctly I actually do think the system may have been on when I did it yes tbh I regretted not switching it off first because I thought that may have been part of the problem, I did disconnect centre speaker as I thought this was part of the problem seeing the problem happened from the point I connected that particular speaker. I sent pictures let me know if this is what you meant

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW htib is short for home theater in a box (simple all-in one systems bundled with speakers). AVR is audio video receiver. Doing connections while power on isn't a good idea. You probably shorted something out, couldn't tell you what particularly.

D

Drk87

Audiophyte
So the speakers could be damaged or the dvd player or both? I have a new system which I bought to replace it, a Sony bdv e300, would it be wise to possibly test the LG speakers with the Sony player to rule out speaker malfunction?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely try the speakers out on other gear...but I'm betting on the amp section having the issue.

D

Drk87

Audiophyte
Where/what is the amp section? So there is no danger in using different speakers with another system? I just don't want to break this one too

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Where/what is the amp section? So there is no danger in using different speakers with another system? I just don't want to break this one too
You have an all-in-one unit (basically a dvd player built into an integrated amp); the amp is what powers your speakers (and sub apparently). Don't see much for your new unit but the one caution I'd say is that the LG looks to use a passive sub and are only suited for similar units where the main amp supplies the juice (most subs are active subs, i.e. have their own amplifier built into the unit and are not provided power from the central unit....this is somewhat typical of htib setups like this). The LG has low impedance speakers, so if the new Sony isn't that would be another caution but should work simply to test the speakers. Also start with the volume turned all the way down and go slowly...

ps And to be sure, make all connections with the damn thing unplugged if necessary :)

Last edited:
CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
My parents have an old Sony htib system and the speakers are 3 ohms.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
So the speakers could be damaged or the dvd player or both? I have a new system which I bought to replace it, a Sony bdv e300, would it be wise to possibly test the LG speakers with the Sony player to rule out speaker malfunction?
So you had one htib die so you bought another one ?
I didn’t think Sony even still made those .
Stand alone avr and quaint speakers is the way to go . I mean I’m broke but I got a onkyo 818 last time I had a job , and it still works excellently. With cheap klipsch icon speakers it sounds better then the movie theater

Klipsch pro media sounds better the most soundbars , and these htib things .
I don’t know if you should even invest in such a mediocre speaker system . Soundbars is essentially same thing .
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
D

Drk87

Audiophyte
It is an older sony htib system, my lg which failed was bought in 2011. Ok the speakers for the Sony are 3ohms impedance and the LG speakers are 4ohms impedance...... Is that safe to test the lg speakers on the Sony system ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, that's fine. Altho your passive sub is also rated 3 ohm on the LG.

D

Drk87

Audiophyte
Well I've tested one tall boy lg just there and yayyy it is working, so u think it's the dvd part thats broke then

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

If your speakers isn’t all shredded like this it’s your dvd unit blown .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis