D

donald

Audiophyte
I have about 400 2 channel classical cd's. What type of processing should I use to provide the best synthetic stereo? The listening area is quite small, about 12 x 18 feet, and is the main salon of our boat. As expected, the salon is full of various resonances, and requires some sort of equalization. Are there any suggestions as to the best equipment, considering the space restrictions

Many thanks,

Donald

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Are you asking what type of receiver and speakers to purchase? What is your setup in your boat? What gear do you currently have if any? Any good 7.1 receiver would do with the new 7 channel stereo processing. How much room do you have for speakers?

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
Dolby PLII

donald said:
I have about 400 2 channel classical cd's. What type of processing should I use to provide the best synthetic stereo? The listening area is quite small, about 12 x 18 feet, and is the main salon of our boat. As expected, the salon is full of various resonances, and requires some sort of equalization. Are there any suggestions as to the best equipment, considering the space restrictions

Many thanks,

Donald
If your set up allows for Dolby Pro Logic II Music this works quite well to provide a strong front soundstage and ambient surrounds for stereo sources.

D

donald

Audiophyte
Re: questions

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, I would like suggestions on equipment, particularly as to what type of dolby (or similar) processing to use, how to best handle the equalization problem, and what effect equalization might have on the surround processing.

Our present set-up is pretty minimal, just an Alpine auto stereo with satellite radio, and a Pioneer DEQ "digital sound processer", 3 low power amps, 4 small Infinity bookshelf speaks and a 10 inch sub. There is no good location for a center channel speaker, and since we watch little visual material, it is not missed much.

Our source material will be from the cd library and the xm satelite radio. We do have some dvd's aboard, which we watch on the computer from time to time, but not often, and do not want to put much emphasis on this side of things.

I have a good software 1/3 octave audio analyzer computer program, and a pink noise source. I have set the 2/3 octave channel eq in the Pioneer for smoothest response. I end up with as much as 10 db of change between adjacent bands of the eq., and the difference between having the eq in or out is dramatic. The only other processing the Pioneer does is some sound field stuff, introducing echo, reverb, etc. This part makes, at best, only a modest change, and the result is quite program dependent.

It seems that low end recievers have some surround processing, but no means for equalization. Mid range ($500 +) have varying forms of eq available, but are quite large and power hungry. Available space might be possible for a Yamaha RX-v1500, or similar, but I would probably have to copy the CD's to MP3 to make room. We spend a fair amount of time at anchor in odd places in the world, and must live off the power we can generate and store on the boat.

We can change the 4 Infinity speakers, but again, size is important and speaker placement is restricted.

Donald

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis