Switching from 2 to 3 subs

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Just started thinking about this. Currently I'm running an SVS PB1000 in my front left corner and a HSU VTF-3 MK4 in my back left corner. It's working well for my MLP, but I'm still experiencing dead spots. My positioning is really limited and this is the best I can do.

I'm going to be moving my setup into a better room and am thinking about selling the SVS and getting duals to put up front, either in between the left/right and center, or outside the mains, depending on what works best. I'd daisy chain them. I'd then put the HSU nearfield (behind most likely) my MLP.

I think I could get $350 for my SVS without a problem, then get something like the HSU VTF-2 MK5. It's my feeling that the more similar response curves would make the calibration of and interaction between all the subs more cohesive. Thoughts?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Do you have measurements? If not, get a measurement before you do anything else. You need to see what is going on before you can fix any problem.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Have you measured the response at all? I would try to experiment with phase a little bit. Since the subs are A) different, and B) different distances from the LP, I might try to move the phase knob on the closest one clockwise. You’ll have to measure at the LP though because how it’s sound AT the sub will be definitely different than at the LP. If you’re using an 80hz XO, play an 80hz tone and while you’re seated in the LP, have someone move the phase knob until you get the most output(an spl meter is better but hey...). You might want to play tones higher and lower jut to make sure you didn’t make some other null worse but this is a quick and dirty exercise to deal with a null at the XO point. Also after that, try adding some distance to the sub channel in small increments. That can help smooth things too, and help with impulse response.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
When I set them up originally I did use an SPL app on my phone (yes, crappy I know), and did check the difference between 0° and 180° on the HSU, which is closest to my LP. The difference was, if I remember correctly, somewhere between 1.5db to 2.0db, and I went with the better result ( which I, of course, can't remember- and I've been working out of town for three weeks, to return Sunday:rolleyes:)

Due to negative WAF ( and other things too), I will be moving my setup to another place. The room it's in now is a funky space- imagine a 16x12 rectangle with a 6x6 rectangle off the front right corner. It's also got a coffered ceiling. My new room will have a more traditional layout. I'm just imagining having two subs up front then being able to optimally place a 3rd would give me more even response throughout the room. I know it'd be cheaper to roll with what I've got, but I'm definitely not opposed to dishing out for some more woofage!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
When I set them up originally I did use an SPL app on my phone (yes, crappy I know), and did check the difference between 0° and 180° on the HSU, which is closest to my LP. The difference was, if I remember correctly, somewhere between 1.5db to 2.0db, and I went with the better result ( which I, of course, can't remember- and I've been working out of town for three weeks, to return Sunday:rolleyes:)

Due to negative WAF ( and other things too), I will be moving my setup to another place. The room it's in now is a funky space- imagine a 16x12 rectangle with a 6x6 rectangle off the front right corner. It's also got a coffered ceiling. My new room will have a more traditional layout. I'm just imagining having two subs up front then being able to optimally place a 3rd would give me more even response throughout the room. I know it'd be cheaper to roll with what I've got, but I'm definitely not opposed to dishing out for some more woofage!
Sounds like you drank the Kool aid and you like it! :) What is the volume of the new space in cubic feet? Budget? Goals? Type of music? How loud? :)

Just don’t ask @Danzilla31 :) He’s the addicted one.... LOL :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
HT has been a serious interest and goal of mine for over 20 years. Until recently (about the last year) I've only been able to fantasize. The new room is approximately 2300ft³. Budget is negotiable. I say this because I'm also planning on a new TV and a new AVR. I'm looking at about $2500 to $3000 for the TV ( 65" or 75"), $1250 for the AVR ( Aventage 3060 from A4L with 5 year extended warranty ).

Current setup is:

Denon AVR-X 2300, Paradigm Mini Monitors v7 for LCR, SVS Prime Satellite surrounds and the aforementioned subs.

I will also grab another pair of speakers ( probably either another pair of Mini's or a pair of Atoms) and repurpose the Primes to move either to 7.2 or 5.2.2. The Aventage appeals for it's reliability, HDMI solidity, and it's 11.2 processing as the plan is to get up to 7.4.4 in the next couple years. I'll keep the Denon, most likely replace the LR's with something like the Premier 800f, and go from there. Dude... Lots of info there, but I love talking about it!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like you drank the Kool aid and you like it! :) What is the volume of the new space in cubic feet? Budget? Goals? Type of music? How loud? :)

Just don’t ask @Danzilla31 :) He’s the addicted one.... LOL :)
I am not addicted! ..... I just like quad subs a lot

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
@Danzilla31 , what are you working with. Are your subs all the same or do they vary. If they do vary, what's you bass management technique?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
HT has been a serious interest and goal of mine for over 20 years. Until recently (about the last year) I've only been able to fantasize. The new room is approximately 2300ft³. Budget is negotiable. I say this because I'm also planning on a new TV and a new AVR. I'm looking at about $2500 to $3000 for the TV ( 65" or 75"),$1250 for the AVR ( Aventage 3060 from A4L with 5 year extended warranty ).

Current setup is:

Denon AVR-X 2300, Paradigm Mini Monitors v7 for LCR, SVS Prime Satellite surrounds and the aforementioned subs.

I will also grab another pair of speakers ( probably either another pair of Mini's or a pair of Atoms) and repurpose the Primes to move either to 7.2 or 5.2.2. The Aventage appeals for it's reliability, HDMI solidity, and it's 11.2 processing as the plan is to get up to 7.4.4 in the next couple years. I'll keep the Denon, most likely replace the LR's with something like the Premier 800f, and go from there. Dude... Lots of info there, but I love talking about it!
Ya be careful when you mix tv into the budget, most audioholics will rob the tv budget for better speakers. :) You might want to separate the budgets.

I have a few Yamahas and the A2060 is the highest model I own. It only does 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 and not 7.1.4. The 3000 series allows 7.1.4 but you need a 2 ch amp for one pair of speakers to get there. If your room fits better with 5.1.4 than 7.1.4, the 2000 series is very much the same as the 3000 series in most other features.

I have dual HSU VTF2 MK5s in my living room (not in my movie room) on another Yamaha from 2016, the Yamaha V681. As far as mixing with your other HSU sub, I think @shadyJ will know or even call up HSU directly. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@Danzilla31 , what are you working with. Are your subs all the same or do they vary. If they do vary, what's you bass management technique?
I've got 2 SVS PB 4000's quads aren't yet I've hit my budget for this year. But everybody here knows that's what I want I plan on going to quads next year. With the two SVS I just let Audyssey on my Denon 4400H match the subs it really did a good job although I haven't used a meter yet to confirm I just like the sound. I'm not sure what will fit behind my couch next year. That's where it will get tricky because I won't be able to have identical subs next year. The PB 4000's won't fit back there. That's where I'll need to invest in equipment to measure and get all 4 to play nice together

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Quads with identical subs would be sweet though you really wouldn't have much measuring or calibrating to do. Man I wish I had room back there

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Ya be careful when you mix tv into the budget, most audioholics will rob the tv budget for better speakers. :) You might want to separate the budgets.

I have a few Yamahas and the A2060 is the highest model I own. It only does 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 and not 7.1.4. The 3000 series allows 7.1.4 but you need a 2 ch amp for one pair of speakers to get there. If your room fits better with 5.1.4 than 7.1.4, the 2000 series is very much the same as the 3000 series in most other features.

I have dual HSU VTF2 MK5s in my living room (not in my movie room) on another Yamaha from 2016, the Yamaha V681. As far as mixing with your other HSU sub, I think @shadyJ will know or even call up HSU directly. :)
But you gotta understand, man... I'm working with a $400, 48" TCL- it's not working for me and I'm going to give it to my ex! :eek:;):D

I don't really have a budget, per se. I am back and forth between a 65" and 75". I don't think I want to be less than 8ft away. Having spent a good amount of time on rtings it looks like a well reviewed 65" OLED can be had for about $2000, an ~75" for around $3000. I'd honestly say the priority goes: 1. TV; 2. subs; 3. AVR; 4. surrounds for Atmos; 5. floorstanders to move to a 7.2.2 or 5.2.4 .

I'm not necessarily unhappy with my setup. It's kind of like a Toyota Camry, and I'd like to step it up to a 3 series BMW/ 300C Benz. Maybe one day I'd step up to a Bentley/Rolls, but that would be many, many years down the road. This first step up I could make happen in a matter of several weeks to a few months. I feel it would keep me "happy" for at least 3-5 years.

What say you, Sensei?

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Quads with identical subs would be sweet though you really wouldn't have much measuring or calibrating to do. Man I wish I had room back there
Dear Gary Yacoubian,

Could you please, very quickly, design an in-wall subwoofer that could plumb the depths like my PB 4000's. I'd be eternally grateful. Did I mention I love travelling, especially to Youngstown, Ohio and that I'm a world-class chef?

Very truly yours,

Your biggest fan and potential best friend, Danzilla

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
But you gotta understand, man... I'm working with a $400, 48" TCL- it's not working for me and I'm going to give it to my ex! :eek:;):D

I don't really have a budget, per se. I am back and forth between a 65" and 75". I don't think I want to be less than 8ft away. Having spent a good amount of time on rtings it looks like a well reviewed 65" OLED can be had for about $2000, an ~75" for around $3000. I'd honestly say the priority goes: 1. TV; 2. subs; 3. AVR; 4. surrounds for Atmos; 5. floorstanders to move to a 7.2.2 or 5.2.4 .

I'm not necessarily unhappy with my setup. It's kind of like a Toyota Camry, and I'd like to step it up to a 3 series BMW/ 300C Benz. Maybe one day I'd step up to a Bentley/Rolls, but that would be many, many years down the road. This first step up I could make happen in a matter of several weeks to a few months. I feel it would keep me "happy" for at least 3-5 years.

What say you, Sensei?
If I was in a WAF free zone, it would be a Bentley budget for me as far as speakers for sure! :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
If I was in a WAF free zone, it would be a Bentley budget for me as far as speakers for sure! :)
If I win the $900M Mega Millions jackpot I'm taking it straight to Koenigsegg 1 to 1/Bugatti Chiron territory. I mean, who doesn't want something like the Magico Ultimates in the front with 4 Q Subs, etc. I mean it's all about horns for HT. Am I right or am I right???:p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dear Gary Yacoubian,

Could you please, very quickly, design an in-wall subwoofer that could plumb the depths like my PB 4000's. I'd be eternally grateful. Did I mention I love travelling, especially to Youngstown, Ohio and that I'm a world-class chef?

Very truly yours,

Oh by the way I do love to travel and I AM a world class chef. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dear Gary Yacoubian,

Very truly yours,

Man it's like you know me bro deep down in my soul kind off know me

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

What say you, Sensei?
If it was me If switch that list around if it was me
1 subs
2 floor standard
3 and
4 surrounds for atmos
5 then the tv
But that's just me Is want bulk of money on the speakers first. But it's not wrong how your going about it if your happy going that route go for it bro well cheer you on the whole way :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry brother, but it’s not that simple. That’s why I feel the whole multi sub thing is overstated.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis