switched xlr y cable

W

widd

Audiophyte
help please....I've trolled the net trying to find a solution.

I have 2 different audio sources that I use to transmit audio signals (not at the same time), and at the moment I disconnect the XLR cable from one source and connect it to the second source. Because of other constraints, I can't use a "Y" cable. I am trying to build a box with 2 xlr inputs and one xlr output with a switch to allow one source or the other. The line must be balanced.
What sort of switch, how its wired and I'm unsure of the interconnect wiring to maintain balanced audio.

Thanks
Brian

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Since it’s balanced you’ll have to switch both the signal (+) and (-), so a double pole, double throw switch is what you need. Wire the box’s output jack to the switch’s center terminals, and the two inputs to the switch’s outer terminals. The shields (XLR pin #1) can all be tied together.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
help please....I've trolled the net trying to find a solution.

I have 2 different audio sources that I use to transmit audio signals (not at the same time), and at the moment I disconnect the XLR cable from one source and connect it to the second source. Because of other constraints, I can't use a "Y" cable. I am trying to build a box with 2 xlr inputs and one xlr output with a switch to allow one source or the other. The line must be balanced.
What sort of switch, how its wired and I'm unsure of the interconnect wiring to maintain balanced audio.

Thanks
Brian
Look at Musician's Friend or similar sites for an A-B switcher. They sometimes use them for microphones.

A double pole-double throw switch (called DPDT) has two rows of three terminals. The two outer ones are connected to the center terminals when the toggle or slider is moved.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Good thinking, I didn’t consider an XLR A-B box. Markertek sells one for $46. That might be the best option. Building a box may not save any money, unless you happen to already have the required tools on hand. For instance, chassis-mounted XLR’s require fairly large holes that will require either hole saws or a unibit. The latter alone will set you back more than the off-the-shelf box will. Low-end hole saws might be found for $10-15 apiece, while the trio of XLR will probably end up costing $15. Add a few bucks for the project box and you really haven’t saved any money.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis