Swimming in the CoronaVirus Era

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Spartan
2-1/2 months later... still at it. It's almost like I should edit the title to Swimming in the Wildfire Season.
*coughs
I've been fortunate and am very grateful to have scored 4 swims per week for this current 2-week stretch. Gonna try again when sign-up come around for Novembers first 2 weeks.
The fires, though, were no joke. The pool closed when the Air Quality got up into the upper 100s. I lost a couple swims on those days. Wish they were a little more protective as there were many days that they probably still should've closed to protect us from ourselves. There were a few (too many) days when I got out feeling like I had just power smoked a pack of Pall Malls rather than swim for 50 minutes!

@asdfgdg good to see another swimmer here... I presume you are still active?
I'm not fast by any stretch. We have a few former competitive swimmers here at my pool... one of which was an Olympian. I think I know him, though I've never asked him to confirm... Suffice it to say, I'm always a little jealous when I swim next to a person I can't at least hang with for a lap, even if I'm on an all-out sprint that leaves me gasping...
This guy... it's like I rotate for a breath and he isn't just passing me going down the pool, but is already flipping and coming back! What really rubs salt in my eyes isn't that so much, rather it's that he isn't even exerting himself doing it!
:p
Impressive, to say the least.

Still haven't lost much more weight, but I also started on a mild Creatine regimen. I think they say it's common to hold on to about 5 extra pounds on Creatine. Regardless, I'm keeping at it at pushing as much as I can given the limitations imposed on the Pool Scene by the County DPH.
As we dive into this "rounding of the Pandemic Corner" that fearless leader is calling our current Surge, and as my County remains on the most restricted tier of reopening due to the Latino Equity issue in our case load, all I can do is hope for the best: that the pool is allowed to continue operations during the Winter, and the Swimmers that are joining us here keep themselves well and healthy and that nobody breaks the Covid protocols risking what we have.
*fingers crossed

Health and wellness to you all!

R

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought my gym with a 30'x60' pool was steep at under $600 for 15 months. 4 lanes max. Inside and outside shower. Same 1 hour time slots as you but without the Hitler Youth policing the start and stop times. We're suppose to clear out at a quarter to the hour but you can push it until somebody shows for the lane. Appt's only book 48 hours in advance so I monitor the schedule and snag cancellations if they pop up.

Tomorrow I booked a noon and a 6PM time slot. This week I scored my first Sat. appt.. First opening I've seen for a weekend so I took that too.

I'm a sh!t swimmer but I like to soak my labia. :rolleyes:

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Samurai
Since its an airborne virus and most pools have chlorine I would think that the biggest risk would be talking to other swimmers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Spartan
Half the pre-covid pool, when swims were affordable ;) would be people hanging on the wall chatting.

By affordable, I buy annual passes at 650 a year... if I were to not miss a swim 5x per week, that comes out to a cool two-fitty per. :) And I would swim for about 90 minutes.

Now it's 10 per 50 minute time slot.

A lot less chuckleheads jawin' on the wall!

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I am an avid swimmer. I utilize the YMCA as my local option. I do travel for work and this makes it easier for me to maintain my regiment. COVID has certainly changed this. It is surprising that as I travel every pool has different requirements and all make you reserve a lane in advance. I hope we can get over this hump soon as I have picked up about 7-8 lbs from the struggles to get to a pool .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
BTW. Swimmers do rule the world. Don’t tell the other athletes. They get defensive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
A few years ago I was trying to be a better swimmer instead of the current approach of using buoyancy to help with achieving better range of motion and flexibility. I hired a swim instructor to help me figure out that I just start sucking wind after much more than a lap. I seem to swim fine. I know I have a bad habit of rushing through strokes to get to the inhale part which just wears me out quicker so I'll slow down to conserve air but what I really want is to not think and just swim. So how do you strike that balance? How do I stop looking like a dipsh!t who just jumped in the water yesterday?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I would focus on your hands and arms. A lot of new swimmers are kicking to hard and that takes all your energy. Leg muscles will suck all the oxygen from your other muscles. Focus on the technique that hopefully your instructor taught you. Try to make your strokes long by reaching as far in front of you as possible and then pull all the way through till your hands are at your upper thigh. If breathing is really an issue you could try a snorkel. I personally don’t like them. I am kind of claustrophobic and the air restriction does not work for me but a lot of people use them. They are good for building lung capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis