G

Gamer5190

Audiophyte
Hello audioholics members, this is my first post and unfortunately it's about a problem that I've googled, yet can't seem to find any specific information on (that or I'm missing something that's right in front of me T_T). Forgive the length of the post and my lack of experience in speaker systems.

I just received my Swan M10's today from audioinsider.com and they sound great...or I thought they did until I noticed something.

The right channel is weaker in terms of loudness and sound quality than the left channel. I'm sure it's not the satellite's as I've input both satellites into both L/R inputs and whichever satellite is plugged into the left input emits awesome sound quality and the the one plugged into the right emits just decent and noticeably quieter sound.

I also tried something else as well.

Both satellites plugged in; Dialed up the volume VERY slowly; I begin to hear the satellite plugged into the left channel on the sub while the right channel is 100% soundless until I turn up the volume.

Even then the right channel sounds like it's "missing" something in terms of mids and highs and quality as well as certain sounds that you only hear very clearly on the left channel, but not so much on the right. (Of course I switched the channel the satellites where plugged into and it was the left channel that amazed while the right one didn't).

Is it the amp? Am I screwed and gonna have to ask for a replacement?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

You might have stated this already and I didn't follow, but a question - have you switched the right and left input cables and checked the results? I interpret what you wrote as saying that you switched which jack the satellite speakers are plugged into, which would eliminate differences in the speakers as the issue (as you've stated). I'm wondering if the issue is with your source material or with your new speaker system.

G

Gamer5190

Audiophyte
I thought of my sound source material as the problem as well but after trying out over 30 mp3 files, i began to notice that the punchy-ness of the mids of the satellite on the faulty right channel were lacking as well. On my older speaker systems, this was never the case. (older RMA'd speaker system was logitech z623; HORRIBLE bass, mids lacked quality and highs were plain drowned out via the garbage bass but the sound was balanced on each channel.)

kind of a rant

I've been rma'ing things a lot lately and am sick of it and rma'ing these speakers will be annoying as well cuz fedex screwed up and delivered them a week late. End result? I've been gaming w/o sound for weeks as i had to find a worthy speaker system, order, wait for delivery. And no, i do NOT like bass for those who may recommend "gaming" speakers. The swans minimalist bass is perfect for RPG's and fighting games and music. No shooters for me. (don't want bass head bass. Just clarity w/bass underlying most of the sound, not drownng it out; all without breaking the bank)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it definitely can be a faulty speaker system. I suggest swapping the left and right input cables to see if you still have the issue with the right side. If the issue switches sides when you swap the inputs, then the problem is with the source (perhaps the cable, perhaps the computer audio).

G

Gamer5190

Audiophyte
The thing is, the input cables are hardwired to the sattelites. But the problem does switch sides when I switch channel to which each speaker is plugged into. I'm also confident that it isn't the audio source as I plugged in my PS3 and a game where there's a "mono" option for sound and the sound difference still remained. I also tried Youtube videos as well as my PS2 and regardless of input, the problem persists (stereo or mono in terms of internet, gaming, or offline music). I also tried my TV and now I'm fairly certain that it's probably the amp in the sub.

BTW, how can I "Rep" you positively. Just my way of saying thanks for even responding to a frustrated noob. :)

Edit: Just saw the thanks button ^_^.

This may get long; once again THANK YOU ADAM for even listening, feel lucky to have met you so soon on this forum.

BTW, what speaker system would you recommend? Nothing high end, but in the $100 range as these Swan M10's were $117. I'm kinda over the whole 2.1 stereo thing. Just want good speakers that are good for near-field listening.

To elaborate on my tastes, I HATE bass that is loud and drowns out everything. When it underlies/blends into and disappears into the music/sound source, it's good. Would much rather not have any "dedicated" bass speaker (subwoofer) as this is getting ridiculous. Each 2.1 system I try has a problem, with the bass either being too much, or the amp in the sub providing uneven sound to the satellites, to RIDICULOUS (you wouldn't believe) overheating problems.

I hear 2.0 is good for music and I can live with that. I don't play games with shooting and explosion. Just RPG's and fighting, that have no reliance on bass whatsoever as they are more musically and sound effect focused in the mid and high areas.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
THANK YOU ADAM for even listening, feel lucky to have met you so soon on this forum.
That's very nice of you to say - it's great you have you here.

The thing is, the input cables are hardwired to the sattelites.
Got it. So the left/right connections that you've been changing are from the input source, correct? If so, then you were already doing what I suggested trying. However...

But the problem does switch sides when I switch channel to which each speaker is plugged into.
This caught my attention, because I was wondering if that would happen. So, if you take the cable that connects to the left/right audio inputs on the back of the speaker system, and you swap the left/right connections, then the audio problem switches from one speaker to the other one?

Are you always using the same cable to connect between your source (PS3, PS2, computer)?

If the answer to both of the above is "yes," then I think it's the cable. If you say that the right speaker sounds weaker, but then you swap the left and right inputs and the left speaker sounds weaker, then it's not the speaker system - it's something to do with what is being sent to the speaker system. If you've tried different hardware sources (PS3, PS2, computer), and the problem is identical, but you've always used the same cable, then it's the cable. It could be that there's a poor connection between the wires and one of the connectors, it could be that one of the connectors is dirty (maybe), or perhaps something else. Try a different cable and see if that helps out with this.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis