SVS Ultras vs. Klipsch RP

SVS Ultras vs. Klipsch RP for home theater?

• SVS Ultras

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Klipsch RP

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
Hi to all,

I’m thinking of upgrading my speakers this year for my home theater. I’m thinking between SVS Ultra series and the Klipsch RP-280F (with matching speakers). I already have the SVS PB-2000. There’s no where near me to listen to either of these in person. I’m looking for opinions and advice on this. Thank you in advance for help. I’m currently using Polk Monitor 65T, 15C, & 35B.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Unfortunately that's one of those things that only YOU can know for yourself. Personally, I LOVE the SVS Ultra series and have not been a fan of most Klipsch (at least the ones that cost less than thousands of dollars in which case I've been very impressed). That said, I've also known plenty of people who absolutely love their Klipsch speakers and not huge fans of the SVS sound. It's really entirely subjective. Bummer you can't audition them for yourself locally, but do keep in mind that you can order anything from SVS and try them out risk-free for 45 days with free shipping both ways, and they really do stand by that with zero hassles. Awesome company.

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
Thank you. I thought the same, but kept hearing the latest RP line was great without sounding harsh. I love the way their center is. Before this, my mind was only SVS Ultra or SVS Prime. Do you have the towers or all bookshelfs? If you have the towers, are they overkill with a sub?

P

Poppy19-

Enthusiast
I have the RP260F's with the RP250 center and use them mostly for HT. I like them a lot, paired with a SVS SB12-NSD. Haven't heard the others, but have a generous return policy. I think Klipsch has a 30 day return. Hell, order both and sent back the ones you don't like.
The RP280's would be slightly better then my 260's....my .02.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
All I can say is I like both ... a lot, but did not have the opportunity to compare them (at the same time).
Before the new horn in the Klipsch premier series, it would not have been a contest.
I happily use RF-82ii for my HT and they are definitely not as good as the RP series. Klipsch seems to change models fairly frequently, and often the changes are small and incremental. However, the premier is a clear improvement!
I believe, as JBL has learned to clean up horn artifacts, Klipsch has developed a parallel technology. It is not completely gone, but is at a level where the pros and cons are starting to get pro heavy!
But the SVS and Klipsch do not sound the same and your best option would be to listen to both.
Ideally, get them both in your home at the same time and you will know which one you want after a few days!

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
I have the RP260F's with the RP250 center and use them mostly for HT. I like them a lot, paired with a SVS SB12-NSD. Haven't heard the others, but have a generous return policy. I think Klipsch has a 30 day return. Hell, order both and sent back the ones you don't like.
The RP280's would be slightly better then my 260's....my .02.
Thank you

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
All I can say is I like both ... a lot, but did not have the opportunity to compare them (at the same time).
Before the new horn in the Klipsch premier series, it would not have been a contest.
I happily use RF-82ii for my HT and they are definitely not as good as the RP series. Klipsch seems to change models fairly frequently, and often the changes are small and incremental. However, the premier is a clear improvement!
I believe, as JBL has learned to clean up horn artifacts, Klipsch has developed a parallel technology. It is not completely gone, but is at a level where the pros and cons are starting to get pro heavy!
But the SVS and Klipsch do not sound the same and your best option would be to listen to both.
Ideally, get them both in your home at the same time and you will know which one you want after a few days!
Thank you

A

AndyChia

Enthusiast
Ok I know this is an older post but I’m trying to decide between the rp-8000f and SVS Ultra. What did you decide to go with? Are you happy with them and did you try both? Thanks...

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
I can't say anything about the Ultra's but I do have most of my setup complete with 4 Prime Pinnacles towers for the 4 corners in my 5.2 setup and am really glad I gave these a try. I was originally looking at the Klipsch RP-8000 which are really great speakers in their own right but to me I think the SVS are more musical and still work really well for home theater as well. I find the Pinnacles to be just a bit better multi purpose speaker than the Klipsch 8000's. I went with the Pinnacles after hearing about the amount of room the Ultra's need and was not worried about loosing the low end when comparing the Pinnacles to the Ultra's since I have 2 PB-4000's to handle that end of the spectrum :cool: . Music has been absolutely amazing and I am still working through the break in period. I have read that after about 90 hours of listening they sound even better which is hard to imagine especially for this price range. I am also using the Ultra center as well. Absolutely wonderful sound and movies have been like I am at the theater with better surround with the more intimate sized space.

On a side note it has also been very amusing watching the cat's tweak out with the sounds coming from all over the room and watching them trying to track the sounds down lmao. Ahh the simple things in life.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
I absolutely agree @Pogre . I can definitely say I understand their 45 day risk free trial period. I got these and will not be sending them back. That's for sure.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I absolutely agree @Pogre . I can definitely say I understand their 45 day risk free trial period. I got these and will not be sending them back. That's for sure.
Really happy to hear you love your speakers since I'm one of the guys who helped nudge you that direction, lol. I think you get all the goodness of an Ultra tower with the Pinnacle, minus a little bass extension, but easier to place. Like you said, with subs in the mix I don't think you're missing anything.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
I do appreciate the nudge. Best decision I have made. I was originally looking and listening to speakers twice the cost and I honestly like these better than most I listened to and saved a couple grand in the process.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis