SVS Ultra Speakers Loudspeakers

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
SVS Ultra Speakers Loudspeakers Preview

I really hope these get a full review on here. I've been thinking about a speaker upgrade lately and these would be high on the list :)

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
With so many "consumers" measuring their own speakers at home, you'd think a "pro review" could include some measurements.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Hopefully a review with measurements is coming soon. He mentioned turing the treble down a tad. I actually have it up a tiny bit and it seems to help balance it out with the powerful mid/low end of the Ultras Towers.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Gene,

i know AH has reviewed plenty of SVS subs in the past. Any plans to review the Ultra speakers?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Without giving too much away, I have a couple things in the works with these speakers. I know the Zombie hordes are gathering, salivating at the prospect of feasting on, not brains, but the super-in-depth measurements and analysis that is audioholics trademarks. I can't promise the level of detail that Josh whips up, but I think you'll find something interesting in what I have to offer. And yes, I'll be putting to use my new Dayton measurement mic.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Without giving too much away, I have a couple things in the works with these speakers. I know the Zombie hordes are gathering, salivating at the prospect of feasting on, not brains, but the super-in-depth measurements and analysis that is audioholics trademarks. I can't promise the level of detail that Josh whips up, but I think you'll find something interesting in what I have to offer. And yes, I'll be putting to use my new Dayton measurement mic.
Just be warned that the Dayton system isn't accurate above 12 kHz, despite the calibration file you download. The original OmniMic was fine, but the "upgraded" version consistently rolls off the highs above 12k. I've tried two of them with the same result, and a friend had the same experience.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Just be warned that the Dayton system isn't accurate above 12 kHz, despite the calibration file you download. The original OmniMic was fine, but the "upgraded" version consistently rolls off the highs above 12k. I've tried two of them with the same result, and a friend had the same experience.
Any way to tell the upgraded from the old stock? My freq response printout actually shows rising response between 6-20kHz by about 5db. Are they fudging the included measurements?

Feel free to take this to pm to keep the thread clean.

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
He mentioned turing the treble down a tad. I actually have it up a tiny bit and it seems to help balance it out with the powerful mid/low end of the Ultras Towers.
I thought that was weird. He turned down the treble, and then complained that the top end was a bit flat.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hmm I will have to check that as I also have an OmniMic system as well. It's certainly not perfect but its convenient.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hmm I will have to check that as I also have an OmniMic system as well. It's certainly not perfect but its convenient.
Hi Gene. I can show you the issue with plots of an 0W2 tweeter--one taken with Praxis, the other with Omni, and a third from the Hiquphon website. I can't insert them here because I exceed my space limit early on. But the factory plot shows a slight peaking above 14k, which also shows up in the Praxis plot. The Omni showns a gradual roll off above 12K. If you're interested, PM me and I'll get them to you via my regular e-mail.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Dennis, send them my way if you'd like and I will post them for you. I use Photobucket, just as ADTG mentioned.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Here are the measurements, straight from Dennis.

SNAG-013_zps86cd4bf2.png
SNAG-012_zps7fe7be6f.png
SNAG-011111_zps97645e1e.jpg

Per Dennis: "The yellow graph is the factory plot, the blue is made by the OmniMic system, and the red plot is Praxis. Don't pay any attention to the response below 500 Hz, and don't worry about
the dips in the response around 1800 Hz on the Omni and Praxis plots - those are diffraction effects from the cabinet edges."

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis