SVS ultra crossover wiring upgrade?

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic

This guy sells diy kits for speakers.

In another video, he made some dubious claims about speaker wire. So I'm suspicious of him.

To my eyes, the SVS unit looks dinky, but the wiring and capacitors he's selling look big and fancy. I know very little about this. Could be a fun project.

Would this improve the sound of the unit? Is this sort of upgrade worth it?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
He's snake oil to me but that's just my opinion. He is a bit ridiculous with his criticism of the speakers he gets his paws on.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would add, Dennis Murphy did a Mod for the Ultra Bookshelf Speakers. I do not recall if it was a special request for a customer or if it was an experiment, however, at the end of the day the question becomes how much is it worth to do the mod for what percentage of improvement.
Dennis is known and respected for keeping things affordable when and where he can.

Danny? Well, maybe not so much. Regardless, @-Jim- 's advice is right and you should check out that thread. Personally, I don't think of him as pure snake oil, thogh he does subscribe to some ideas I don't particularly agree with. He seems much more willing to put out a mod just for the sake of it. Sometimes, after watching some of his videos, I can't help but wonder if he's doing this just to move XO components that he bought in larger supply just to get a better price.
*shrugs

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
To do a mod on 1,000 dollar bookshelf speakers is insane to me. It better sound triple as good as it does now and I don't think there is anyway to measure that or hear that with your ears.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

This guy sells diy kits for speakers.

In another video, he made some dubious claims about speaker wire. So I'm suspicious of him.

To my eyes, the SVS unit looks dinky, but the wiring and capacitors he's selling look big and fancy. I know very little about this. Could be a fun project.

Would this improve the sound of the unit? Is this sort of upgrade worth it?
IMO, his upgrade isn't worth it. The improvement in the shown response curve is not impressive. Also, I'm sure SVS doesn't use aluminum wire in its its enclosures. In addition, when he says that fiberglass is better than polyfil, that's real bullshit!

Last edited:
K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
Nice guy, smart guy, guy that loves to sell overpriced snake oil stuff....

Too bad he did not use his talents for just good.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
To do a mod on 1,000 dollar bookshelf speakers is insane to me. It better sound triple as good as it does now and I don't think there is anyway to measure that or hear that with your ears.

Most of his "mods" are as much or more than the speaker itself.

He pushes high priced caps....and so on...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know Dennis of Philharmonic worked some crossover magic on a pair of Ultra books but it was more of a 1-off. I can't remember if he sold them or not. Either way I'd trust his work over just about anyone, and especially this cat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis