SVS Ultra 13 ported Vs 2 Klipsch R-112SW

D

dafirst

Junior Audioholic
I have an SVS Ultra 13 ported and want to sell it and get 2 Klipsch R-112sw. Has anyone get the chance to demo the Klipsch or own one to advise me?

Attachments

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
SVS is pretty awesome so you might want to just get a second SVS ultra 13? Might be money better spent.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These guys are right. that's a serious downgrade. I'd never choose Klipsch over SVS when it comes to subs. I like Hetfield's suggestion. Get another PB13 Ultra.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice looking setup. Have to ask why you're considering selling the ultra for a pair of klipsch 112's. The "listed" frequency response of those 112's is 24hz. I'd never trade the extension of the ultra for that. Plus I'm sure the ultra has a lower Q factor and will be linear. Basically the klipsch will sound like a fartbox by comparison. Loose and flabby. And weak. Read about more than a few guys returning them for their poor performance. Definitely recommend another ultra.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I have owned both and my SVS PB 13 Ultra will produce better and tighter bass I FEEL stronger then two Klipsch 112. But at a cost, 2K for the 13 Ultimate. IMHO if movies are all you use it for and small room the two 112 will be OK . Big difference from from OK VS no sub VS one PB 13 Ultra. The down side with any HIGH power sub the HIGHER powered plate amps work hard (more heat) and if you are retired and play your equipment every day all day the smaller subs amps with 400 watts tend to last longer IF you don't over drive them with TOO MUCH "gain" YMMV on how long amps last.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have to say, I don't agree that higher power amps have a shorter life expectancy. IMO, it would be to the contrary in that at normal drive levels the higher power amp would work less hard. That's obviously an over simplification but I still don't think life expectancy should be weighed by power output, and I don't think it applies.
Also either way, with 2 subs they'll both be running a few db lower and therefore working less.

Last edited:
LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Opinions vary, I am posting from personal experience with over 1000 watt plus plate amps VS smaller 400 watt amps. YMMV. Be careful how you push any sub is a lot of it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Opinions vary, I am posting from personal experience with over 1000 watt plus plate amps VS smaller 400 watt amps. YMMV. Be careful how you push any sub is a lot of it.
I had 2 SVS SB1000's (300w amps) and currently own a pair of Hsu VTF-3 MK5's (600w amps). I've felt the amps get pretty warm on the 1000's. The MK5's I have yet to feel the heat sinks on the back get even warm. Heat kills, right? IME the bigger amp/sub works a whole lot less than its smaller counterpart to produce the same spl.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
My point was when I pushed the bigger amp and driver to 95% and did the same with my two Klipsch 12" 350/650 watt subs and the SVS amp always ran hotter. SVS states 104 degrees and I use a digital thermometer and measure the temps on the outside of the plate amps. My 2 smaller will never match what my one SVS is doing in this tiny den.

The driver in my 1000 watt sub weighs 55 pounds, this monster NEEDS a lot of power to move that cone fast..NOT a hit wonder like my 15 old Klipsch sub 12's. I never tried to make the smaller subs match a SPL that that 1000 watt sub will do, again don't over drive any sub heat is the killer. . I do understand what everyone has posted and why......larger amp more head room etc etc . Just posting what I have experienced.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey lab. Thanks for sharing. I was just thinking due to different topologies and differences in driver loads, that it seemed like a blanket statement is all. Is your 1000w amp a Dayton? Just curious.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I have to say, I don't agree that higher power amps have a shorter life expectancy. IMO, it would be to the contrary in that at normal drive levels the higher power amp would work less hard. That's obviously an over simplification but I still don't think life expectancy should be weighed by power output, and I don't think it applies.
+1

There's nothing quantifiable to establish that higher wattage = higher failure rate.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I've never considered the amp to be a factor in Subs except for the requirements of the driver vs the enclosure. If your room small, you may consider running the ultra sealed and take advantage of the room gain more. I cannot see the downgraded Subs to be more effective or added longevity.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis