Svs sb3000 or klipsch r112sw or whatmough synergy3s subs?

Svs sb300 klipsch r112sw or whatmough synergy3s

• Klipsch r112sw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatmough synergy3s

• All of them?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Z

Zerofox0070

Enthusiast
Hi everyone I am looking to buy a good sub to replace my living room/lounge home cinema/theater sub which is a wharfdale sw150 now I am looking at 3 subs which I think would do good one of them my uncle has (I’m not a kid lol) and the other 2 I hear good things about the first sub is the svs sb3000 sealed sub I have heard very good things about it and it’s dual edge wound voice coil and it’s monstrous power from its amp it’s a 13 inch driver in a sealed box with 800w RMS and 2500+ peak power it goes down to 18hz with audible stable output it has 118 output I think correct me if I’m wrong and it has 45mm xmax and a dual edge wound voice coil. Now the klipsch r112sw sub it is lighter but is a bit bigger than the sb3000 so still good for my living room it has 300w rms 600 watts peak and it is a 12 inch copper ceramatilic spun woofer/driver in a ported box and it goes down to 24hz I have also heard good things about this sub. Now last but not least the whatmough synergy3S sub it is a 10 inch sealed sub with 200w rms (correct me if I’m wrong) it has a 3 inch voice coil with 36mm/1.5inches XMAX so still good whatmough say it has more output than most 12 inch subs ported or not the synergy3s is the smallest and weighs the same as the sb3000 so what one is better thanks everyone in advance.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi everyone I am looking to buy a good sub to replace my living room/lounge home cinema/theater sub which is a wharfdale sw150 now I am looking at 3 subs which I think would do good one of them my uncle has (I’m not a kid lol) and the other 2 I hear good things about the first sub is the svs sb3000 sealed sub I have heard very good things about it and it’s dual edge wound voice coil and it’s monstrous power from its amp it’s a 13 inch driver in a sealed box with 800w RMS and 2500+ peak power it goes down to 18hz with audible stable output it has 118 output I think correct me if I’m wrong and it has 45mm xmax and a dual edge wound voice coil. Now the klipsch r112sw sub it is lighter but is a bit bigger than the sb3000 so still good for my living room it has 300w rms 600 watts peak and it is a 12 inch copper ceramatilic spun woofer/driver in a ported box and it goes down to 24hz I have also heard good things about this sub. Now last but not least the whatmough synergy3S sub it is a 10 inch sealed sub with 200w rms (correct me if I’m wrong) it has a 3 inch voice coil with 36mm/1.5inches XMAX so still good whatmough say it has more output than most 12 inch subs ported or not the synergy3s is the smallest and weighs the same as the sb3000 so what one is better thanks everyone in advance.
How big is your room? Does it open to other areas? Also, don't put any stock in amplifier power, it's meaningless in almost every instance with powered subs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Is the physical size of the sub a factor also? Or price, which would lead you to the SB3000? I have the SB4000 and it is an excellent sub, is smaller for its output and SQ is great. If you want real authority in the below 20Hz region though, you might want to consider a ported SVS, maybe the PB2000 Pro? HSU VTF-3? Klipsch might not really compare favorably to any of those.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Without looking almost everyone here will say go for the SVS PB3000. And if you want to simply buy one of the 3 mentioned, and can afford it, grab it.
If you want some guidance on selecting a Sub, please advise room volume and size, what type of system , speakers, components, configuration (5.1; 7.1, 7.1.2, 5.2.4, etc., etc.,) etc. Also what source material are you going to use it for, as better Subs dig down deeper (than say that Kliptch) which can help if you want ultra lows for a Home Theater application. If you are only listening to tunes there's not much down there and the Kliptch would be far more economical. As normal, you usually get what you pay for in Audio equipment with a reasonable purchasing strategy.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Go ported if you can...
Otherwise, of the options listed above, stick with the SVS.

Z

Zerofox0070

Enthusiast
Well I’m not in Australia I live in the uk but could see if I can get other country subs shipped here the size factor is an issue I can only fit 3 small/ medium/ micro subs in my living room/lounge and that is the main reason I’m looking for a medium to small sub I might go for the sb3000 I heard somewhere that due to the driver of the whatmough I can in fact keep up with a 15 inch sub as whatmough partnered with Whise to make most of there subs impulse impact synergy etc and klipsch are probably the best for posh looking driver but that doesn’t bother how fancy it looks it’s what’s under the hood that matters anyway my room is in a flat so not the biggest living room has anyone got any other suggestions for a small to medium or micro sub and if so my budget is mainly 0-5000£/$ so that’s why I could get 3 if they are small enough my configuration is 7.1 my tv is on the wall and my Center is under it my left and rights are next to the tv cabnit in front of the tv army surrounds are where they should at either side of the sofas and the SB are behind on the heater my receiver is an onkyo tx sr875 I know old but I brought it brand new months ago from old stock for for £/$300 but it runs everything good and the sound is excellent for it’s time hope this helps thanks guys

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Hi, I've been searching for subs as well although I had no where near your budget except for the Klipsch R-112SW.

I had a 24 year old Velodyne CT-100 sub that died. It was a 10" woofer, front slot ported, subwoofer with 100 watts rms/250 watts peak power. It had a frequency range of 28Hz - 120Hz +/- 3db.

I can say that it didn't sound anywhere near as good as my current Klipsch R-120SW that I bought. The Klipsch is much better for music. I hear detail that I never heard with the Velodyne plus the Klipsch has more punch.

The Klipsch R-120SW has a 12" woofer, rear round port with 200 watts rms/400 watts peak. It has a frequency response of 29Hz - 120Hz =/- 3db.

I am space limited also so I couldn't have some monster subwoofer.

My Velodyne CT-100 size including grill and volume knobs/heat sink was 16.5" tall, 15" wide, and 18.5" deep. The new Klipsch R-120SW is 16.5" tall, 14" wide, and 19.75" deep.

Both subs are about the same size even though the Klipsch has a 12" woofer. They both have nearly the same frequency response. As far as bass extension, they both sound about the same in bass extension although the Klipsch may go a bit deeper.

I originally tried Jamo sub and Polks Flagship sub but they didn't work out for me. The Klipsch subs were much better.

I bought the Klipsch R-12SWi at Costco for cheap at $279. It's in the same model year as the R-112SW and shares the same finish. That finish is BAD. The laminate is a cheap plastic wrap. Just moving the sub around, I scratched it. It scratches very very easily and is a very cheaply made finish. I returned it based on that alone but found that the newer R-120SW that replaced it now has a scratch resistant wood pattern vinyl type laminate. Still not the greatest as my current Polk TL1600 subs and Velodyne sub but much better. It also has a different woofer and sound much better. It's more accurate where the R-12SWi emphasized the upper bass to much and more detailed or tighter. It was a very significant difference when placing subs in the same position, leveling volume with a Radio Shack Level Meter. The R-120SW is $20 more, and without wireless capability but well worth it for the better finish and better sound quality IMO.

So beware on the Finish of the R-112SW. I'd honestly look at the new Klipsch SPL-120 which is only $100 more.

For me, the Klipsch SPL-120 was to big for my space and the Monster sized SVS PB-1000 Pro wouldn't come close to fitting. I thought about the SVS PB-1000 but only was being sold by one dealer who I had an issue with and SVS wasn't selling it at the time. It was actually to big for my space as well but entertained the idea.

SVS just started selling it again for some reason at it's original price of $500 after I bought my R-120SW. I put the PB-1000 out of consideration when I read of several forum posts complaining of clanking and noise issues with the sub. I don't want a trouble sub and for the cheap price SVS is selling this, I have to wonder what corners were cut to get price that low for it's bass extension and output. After seeing the posts complaining about noise, it struck me that's where the cost savings went.

The smaller 10" Klipsch R-100SW sound really good but with less bass extension as the R-120SW. It goes pretty low and it's small, nearly as small as my Polk TL1600 8" subwoofer it replaced in my media room. Sounds excellent.

Sounds like you have a much bigger budget than me so you should be able to get a loud, small sub with deep bass extension as many brands offer this at a premium price.

BTW, my living room is 16' X 15' X 8' and my listening position from the TV/main speakers is 13' and 14' from subwoofer behind the front right main speaker.

My system goes low, below 30Hz. I hear 30Hz pretty strong. It goes even below that into the mid 20s where I can feel it! Youtube reviewer charted his in room frequency response and he was getting -3db around 28Hz and -6db around 25 Hz. Even -6db is good output that you will feel. My hearing doesn't go below 25 Hz but I can say that this R-120SW has excellent bass extension and does great for Home Theater. The Klipsch SPL-120 should go about 3 or 4 Hz even lower. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for the Klipsch SPL-120 though.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis