S

Stones

Audioholic Intern
I purchased a used svs sb 16 ultra plate amplifier.
It turns on and hooks up with the svs app.
I have two problems , I don’t have the front display and not sure it that will effect the amps ability to function . Also I don’t have the speaker wire plug that goes from the amp to the woofer. I called svs and they told me the don’t support diy and would not sell the wire or tell me which pins were which .

Looking at picks online it seems like the two positive terminals are on the right and the two negative are on the left. Problem is there are six pins. Anyone know what the proper connections are?

thanks

Attachments

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I have two problems , I don’t have the front display and not sure it that will effect the amps ability to function . Also I don’t have the speaker wire plug that goes from the amp to the woofer. I called svs and they told me the don’t support diy and would not sell the wire or tell me which pins were which .

Looking at picks online it seems like the two positive terminals are on the right and the two negative are on the left. Problem is there are six pins. Anyone know what the proper connections are?

thanks
So, you bought a sub that someone replaced the amp in, and did not hook up the display and woofer ?
Don't know why someone would do that unless they totally screwed up....most subs have quick disconnects in those cables so you don't have to fool with the pcb plugs on the amp board.

Are you sure that the cables aren't in there hidden under the stuffing ?
If you bought just the amp, are you building a new box and buying a new driver ?

And, just because it turns on doesn't mean it works.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

thanks
Today is your lucky day. Someone in the past on Audioholics must have uploaded the amplifier replacement instructions for the PB16 and it's still available. A link to the PDF is below. I had a quick look and there is a photograph of the speaker connector.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/attachments/pb16-ultra_amplifier_replacement_instructions_sledge_sta-1500d-pdf.50919/

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Today is your lucky day. Someone in the past on Audioholics must have uploaded the amplifier replacement instructions for the PB16 and it's still available. A link to the PDF is below. I had a quick look and there is a photograph of the speaker connector.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/attachments/pb16-ultra_amplifier_replacement_instructions_sledge_sta-1500d-pdf.50919/
There are just three connections. There is one negative and two positive, so it must be a DVC woofer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

thanks

thanks
So why did you buy a used amp? Did you also buy the sub used?

It is more than likely that the sub amp will not work without the display connected.

You will need to securely block where the display goes if it does work.

I do think that the behaviour of SVS is disgraceful. Ethically they should support all customers. Their treatment of you was a disgrace. They are now off my recommended list.

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern

It is more than likely that the sub amp will not work without the display connected.

I do think that the behaviour of SVS is disgraceful. Ethically they should support all customers. Their treatment of you was a disgrace. They are now off my recommended list.
It wasn’t my best decision ,
It was an impulse buy, only $100. Thought I would mess around with it see if I could get it to work. No idea why I thought I could.
It turns on and svs app connects. I am away from home but I will mess with it when I get back. Funny thing is I don’t even need it. Just bought two svs pb2000 pros that I am more than happy with. I just get board and my home theater is done so I need a new hobby

I agree that svs should sell me the part or at least identify the pins . He said he had the info but would not tell me, he said he had the part but would not sell it to me.

I was surprised because they have been great with customer service on the pb 2000’s .
he seemed annoyed that I even asked him .

I will try to get it to work and resell or just resell as is and maybe someone with more knowledge will want it.

thanks for your response .

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern
There are just three connections. There is one negative and two positive, so it must be a DVC woofer.
There are six pins on board but four wires on plug . Maybe a multi meter on pins to check for voltage? If I had a close up pic of plug I could figure it out. I assumed svs would help out when I bought it. Surprised they wouldn’t help or even tell me witch pins to hook up to.

live and learn I had no business buying it anyway . Seller said it works just static from woofer , I was hoping it was just a bad woofer he had. Thanks for responding

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

There are six pins on board but four wires on plug . Maybe a multi meter on pins to check for voltage? If I had a close up pic of plug I could figure it out. I assumed svs would help out when I bought it. Surprised they wouldn’t help or even tell me witch pins to hook up to.

live and learn I had no business buying it anyway . Seller said it works just static from woofer , I was hoping it was just a bad woofer he had. Thanks for responding
You have a good picture. So you need a plug and a crimper and some wire, then you you can make the connection. This will not be rocket science.

Your bigger problem may be the absence of your LED screen.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Now see, if the Sub had been PASSIVE, he could have just used ANY appropriate external amp, instead of having to resort to buying a used DIY subwoofer plate amp! :D

Just buy passive subs and speakers and never have to worry about what happens if the internal amp is screwed.

Now, YOU would be ONE of the few Exceptions - you could easily DIY your own internal amp system for subs and speakers. But for most of us, we can't DIY our own internal-sub-amp like you can. It's not rocket-science, but there are things some of us are NOT willing to do.

For example, I can build HTPCs all day long, but many people won't even try because they are just not WILLING to.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You should be able to find connectors on the web. Search for 6-pin PCB connectors, or something that looked like this but not from India :D or ask on some DIY forums. Agree with TLS Guy, though, that unit likely needs the display to work. Seller's description of "works just static from woofer" does not yield much optimism.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

If he is trying to use an SB16 plate amp without the SB16, then SVS it totally right in not going anywhere near that.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I see that none of the dsp functions are selectable on the back panel (Speedwoofer 12S has this)....all done by the app and/or the front panel.

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern
If he is trying to use an SB16 plate amp without the SB16, then SVS it totally right in not going anywhere near that.
Like I stated earlier, it wasn’t a great idea to purchase but I bought it on impulse , not really mad at svs for not wanting to help or sell me the wire for the woofer just thought it was odd that the guy from svs was a little pissy about it.
Just looking to see if I could get it working , its a long shot I know . Was looking for some info so I could give it a try . With the pics Eppie posted I should be able to do that .

Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis