SVS SB12-NSD & PB12-NSD Black Friday Blowout!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys;

Wow this is a killer deal I wanted to let everyone know that SVS is running.

• SB12-NSD – Originally $680, now $399.99
  • PB12-NSD – Originally $800, now $499.99

Both deals can be found here, which will also include links to the respective product pages:

>Get an SVS NSD Subwoofer NOW<

SVS-NSD.jpeg

Quantities are limited so you gotta act quickly!

C

chrismtb

Enthusiast
I've been waiting for the Klipsch R-115SW to go on sale again, but the PB-12 is pretty tempting. Thoughts on this vs maybe getting a R-115SW for a little bit less? Other than the driver size, they look pretty similar on paper.

P

Peter Jansson

Audioholic Intern
Guys;

Wow this is a killer deal I wanted to let everyone know that SVS is running.

• SB12-NSD – Originally $680, now $399.99
  • PB12-NSD – Originally $800, now $499.99

Both deals can be found here, which will also include links to the respective product pages:

View attachment 22915

Quantities are limited so you gotta act quickly!

Hi Gene
I have a question about what subwoofer I should go with in my movie room i want 2 of theme either sb12 sealded or pb12 ported. Which ones would you think would be the best in my movieroom..? The room size is 21 feet long and 10.5 feet wide and 6.5 feet to the ceiling.
(1433.25 ft3.)
And the room is quiet, very dead i have a lot of damping material on walls and floors and a large fabric sofa.
Dont want a boomy room youst a lot of chest punch and a great movie time..:) watching
Movies 99.5% of the time not a lot of music listening

Best regards
Peter

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think the sealed is the better bet, but especially with a 6.5 foot ceiling a sub can get boomy fast. Spend time doing the sub crawl and trying options for locating your sub. Be prepared to get a miniDSP if you are still not happy with the sealed sub.
This is not a comment unique to the SVS sub. Any capable sub runs the risk of exciting unpleasant modes in your room.

P

Peter Jansson

Audioholic Intern
Sealded even do i watch movies 99.5% of the time..? Is not the risk of boomy if your listening to music more and seald is better for that..? And ported is more for movie watcing..? Arnt i going to miss somthing out if i go with the seald even do my ceiling is 6.5 ..?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is a bit of a balancing act. Having a ton of low frequency energy available is great for HT, but I, personally have experienced subs that once room gain was added were ridiculously over-blown and Audyssey XT32 alone was unable to tame them (it is limited in how many dB it will reduce).
So if you get a ported sub which will have an essentially flat response to 20Hz territory, once you put it in a room, it is pretty sure to become bass heavy.
Generally, for HT, I run my subs 6-8dB hotter than I would for music, because I am sensitive to boominess in music, but not so much for HT.
I am no authority on this, but here is what Josh Ricci (who is arguably the highest authority on subs) said about the sealed PSA XS15se sub:
The basic frequency response shape with the low pass filter (crossover) bypassed shows a response that is cleanly extended up to 200Hz and beyond, with a gently sloping low end that corners at 30Hz and appears to enter a sealed systems natural 12dB/octave roll off below that point. It should be a good match with the boost often seen in the low bass once placed in room.
Had you not mentioned your concern about boominess, I would have passed by this thread since you are HT oriented.
Boominess is often a factor of too much bass exciting resonance(s) in your room. Resonance is a non-linear phenomenon - where a small increase in at the sub becomes a large increase of SPL in the room. What this means is adjustments can get touchy (kind of like feedback in a PA system).
Unfortunately, this is dependent on your exact room and the location of the subs, and there is no easy formula for evaluating how much room gain you would get at which frequencies. However, we do know the smaller the room, the more gain you will get.

However, Josh Ricci's comment above establishes that it is worth considering the difference between a flat in-room response as opposed to a flat anechoic response.

Edit: I just looked at the data-bass charts for the SB12-NSD and it appears that SVS has very aggressively EQ'ed this unit to attempt a flat anechoic response (which is probably a smart marketing decision) so that undermines the reasons I would suggest a sealed sub. Accordingly, I am not so supportive of the sealed sub. Whichever you get, just plan on getting a miniDSP (but give Audyssey a shot first, of course)

Aggressive EQ results in ringing and an increase in group delay and sloppy impulse response.
Here is the SB12-NSD which uses aggressive EQ:

Here is the PSA XS15se which applies a modest bit of EQ

Last edited:
P

Peter Jansson

Audioholic Intern
Hello thanks for this big explenation..:)
So maybe the dual sb12 or sb2000 is the way to go for me seald

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hello thanks for this big explenation..:)
So maybe the dual sb12 or sb2000 is the way to go for me seald
I would suggest the SB2000 as a superior alternative to the SB12-NSD.

The difference is that SVS did not EQ the SB2000 so aggressively as the SB12 NSD.
So it should perform very well for group delay.
And the more natural sealed sub roll off would better complement the room gain of your 1433 cu. ft. room.
(SB2000 FR per SVS)
I think it stands a good chance of getting within striking distance for Audyssey (or whatever system your AVR has) to tame things.

Note that AH gave this sub a "medium room" rating which means it is well suited for 1500 to 3000 cu. ft. So you will have plenty of Ommph for your room. And definitely go dual if you can swing it unless you do not plan on having others over.

P

Peter Jansson

Audioholic Intern
I would suggest the SB2000 as a superior alternative to the SB12-NSD.

The difference is that SVS did not EQ the SB2000 so aggressively as the SB12 NSD.
So it should perform very well for group delay.
And the more natural sealed sub roll off would better complement the room gain of your 1433 cu. ft. room.
(SB2000 FR per SVS)
I think it stands a good chance of getting within striking distance for Audyssey (or whatever system your AVR has) to tame things.

Note that AH gave this sub a "medium room" rating which means it is well suited for 1500 to 3000 cu. ft. So you will have plenty of Ommph for your room.
Ok thanks
I have the Arcam avr550 whit Dirac Live.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis