SVS SB-2000 (not Pro)

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Looking at CEA-2010 tests, this subwoofer can hang with equivalent output of lower cost Ported Subwoofers but with equivalent or better low end extension.

I will say I'm extremely happy with my Klipsch R-120SW even though others bash. The subwoofer (in my room) goes easily into the 20Hz range. My hearing can't really hear anything lower than 25Hz but at my sofa, it's literally shaking at 13' away. With music it blends very good with my bookshelf speakers making them sound as tower speakers. My velodyne and polk subs didn't blend this well. Even my smaller Klipsch R-100sw blends exceptionally well with my media room satellite speakers. Better even than the Polk sub in that series.

However I keep hearing all the bashing about Klipsch and other loudspeaker branded subs next to HSU, SVS, Rythmik and other "Sub" brand subwoofers. I have limited spots and room for a subwoofer in my main living room where previously only 8" and 10" ported subwoofers fitted. I was able to get the ported Klipsch 12" R-120Sw to fit with some fighting. It's about the smallest 12" ported subwoofer out there yet sounds much better than the 20 year old Velodyne CT-100 10" subwoofer it replaced in being more musical, blending better, having more punch, and exceeding low end extension. Looking at graph and reviews, the Velodyne CT series from 20 years ago didn't match today subwoofers performance for the dollar to performance ratio.

Now after hearing all the bashing, I found a subwoofer that will fit that is priced low enough for me to consider. It's the SVS SB-2000. Surprisingly the Pro series tend to have 1 to 2 decibel lower outputs by most CEA-2010 tests, for both 2000 and 1000 series. Plus the Pro series price is out of my comfort range. I didn't want a sealed subwoofer because I honestly have never seen a benefit to them in performance as their group delay (tightness, speed, musicality) test results seem no better than most good designed ported subwoofers. Audioholics recent tests of the Klipsch R-121sw and Polk HTS-12 both have better group delay than the SVS 1000 and 2000 sealed subwoofers. The benefit to me is strictly their smaller size. The output of the 1000 series didn't match most budget model ported subs but this SB-2000 output is right there in CEA-2010 results as most 'budget' ported subs so it should do ok for my medium size living room.

I'm not sure I'd keep it but I will compare to my Klipsch R-120sw in the exact same spot as that's the only spot it can go. I'm still debating if I should even go to the trouble if all I will get is very minimal gains for a price that's 2X the Klipsch's price.

BTW, not considering the SVS PB-1000 due to many negative reviews I read about it stating muddy sound quality and inherent noise from design defect. Seems Pro series are much better as well as 2000 series.

Last edited:
MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I have 2 SB-4000's and they are awesome.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
After talking to retailer, they recommended I stick to my Klipsch as they sell both and commented that Klipsch and SVS are their best subwoofers and customer favorites over the many brands they sell.

The rep didn't think I would gain much to make the change from the Klipsch R-120sw to the SVS SB-2000. So they didn't recommend the upgrade.

I'll stick to my Klipsch R-120sw until I have a place to put a bigger subwoofer like the PB-2000 or another large subwoofer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
After talking to retailer, they recommended I stick to my Klipsch as they sell both and commented that Klipsch and SVS are their best subwoofers and customer favorites over the many brands they sell.

The rep didn't think I would gain much to make the change from the Klipsch R-120sw to the SVS SB-2000. So they didn't recommend the upgrade.

I'll stick to my Klipsch R-120sw until I have a place to put a bigger subwoofer like the PB-2000 or another large subwoofer.
I agree with that. It would be more a lateral move imo. I have experience with an sb2000. It’s good for what it is but a pb2k would be much more worthwhile, if not another brand or sub etc.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
I agree with that. It would be more a lateral move imo. I have experience with an sb2000. It’s good for what it is but a pb2k would be much more worthwhile, if not another brand or sub etc.
Thanks for confirming that. I'm space limited so nothing taller than 19" and nothing wider than 15" and nothing deeper than 21"(including all knobs, power cord, and connection cables). So I'm limited but it's the only spot that has the best sound for accuracy. Other spots are bloated with high bass and little low end or have no bass punch.

I also have a budget. The only sub SVS ported sub that would fit is the BP-1000 Pro and it's out of my budget. The PB-1000 I have read many negative comments, professional and owner, so I'm staying away from that one.

I'm happy with the Klipsch so I'll just continue on with it.

Thanks

Last edited:
M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Ok, just throwing this out. I have read good and bad reviews of the SVS PB-1000 (not Pro) subwoofer. The negatives reviews, and there have been several, state that it's kind of boomy and slow and not good for music. The Pro version doesn't have any of these negative comments. The other negative is I've read a couple statements about inherent hum in the woofer due to a design defect.

Has anyone had personal experience with the non pro version of the PB-1000 and what was your experience with music? Thanks.

BTW, my room is 1,920 cubic feet and square shaped with a hallway opening, kitchen opening, and foyer opening. As I said, I like the Klipsch a lot but if I'm missing a lot, I like to go to the trouble of trying something else. If it's not going to be a big difference, I would rather not go to the trouble. This PB-1000 is reviewed to go below 20Hz -3db, have really high output for it's size, and be pretty cheap. Looks like this would be a RSL Speedwoofer beater if it's good with Music. Speedwoofer had poor group delay test results from Audioholics. Never could find group delay test results on this non pro PR-1000 model anywhere.

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, just throwing this out. I have read good and bad reviews of the SVS PB-1000 (not Pro) subwoofer. The negatives reviews, and there have been several, state that it's kind of boomy and slow and not good for music. The Pro version doesn't have any of these negative comments. The other negative is I've read a couple statements about inherent hum in the woofer due to a design defect.

Has anyone had personal experience with the non pro version of the PB-1000 and what was your experience with music? Thanks.

BTW, my room is 1,920 cubic feet and square shaped with a hallway opening, kitchen opening, and foyer opening. As I said, I like the Klipsch a lot but if I'm missing a lot, I like to go to the trouble of trying something else. If it's not going to be a big difference, I would rather not go to the trouble. This PB-1000 is reviewed to go below 20Hz -3db, have really high output for it's size, and be pretty cheap. Looks like this would be a RSL Speedwoofer beater if it's good with Music. Speedwoofer had poor group delay test results from Audioholics. Never could find group delay test results on this non pro PR-1000 model anywhere.

Thanks
What particular reviews were those? Were they from qualified sources who knew how to setup a sub or measure one? Have you read the reviews here on AH?

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
What particular reviews were those? Were they from qualified sources who knew how to setup a sub or measure one? Have you read the reviews here on AH?
"Sound and Vision Magazine" other Online magazine reviews and some actual users. The humming was being discussed on a thread in a forum and users said it was a design defect. Maybe SVS has corrected it, don't know. That's why it would be helpful to hear from actual members here who used this subwoofer. It can't be compared to the Pro version as it's completely different with a different size driver.

Now most gave it great reviews for Home Theater use, but said look elsewhere for music use (which is my priority).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"Sound and Vision Magazine" other Online magazine reviews and some actual users. The humming was being discussed on a thread in a forum and users said it was a design defect. Maybe SVS has corrected it, don't know. That's why it would be helpful to hear from actual members here who used this subwoofer. It can't be compared to the Pro version as it's completely different with a different size driver.

Now most gave it great reviews for Home Theater use, but said look elsewhere for music use (which is my priority).
This review on S&V by Brent Butterworth seems fairly positive for what it is. Can't say I've heard humming as a particular issue with SVS subs over the years, let alone the PB-1000 model particularly, don't know what others to look at (there aren't that many who don't do but a rather lame subjective report only)....I remember many positive comments, tho. I didn't use one myself. In any case this is a discontinued sub. Nothing particularly wrong with your subs, but there are better. That Hsu VTF-15H that Brent mentioned is a good option (at a significantly higher price), or its slightly littler brother the VTF-3 mk5.

ps as far as the ported not being sufficient "for music", meh.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
This review on S&V by Brent Butterworth seems fairly positive for what it is. Can't say I've heard humming as a particular issue with SVS subs over the years, let alone the PB-1000 model particularly, don't know what others to look at (there aren't that many who don't do but a rather lame subjective report only)....I remember many positive comments, tho. I didn't use one myself. In any case this is a discontinued sub. Nothing particularly wrong with your subs, but there are better. That Hsu VTF-15H that Brent mentioned is a good option (at a significantly higher price), or its slightly littler brother the VTF-3 mk5.

ps as far as the ported not being sufficient "for music", meh.
That was the S&V review I was talking about, Praise for HT Performance but the opposite for music. The same can be said of This Article even showing why with poor time domain test results. Once again Praise for HT performance but the opposite for music.

My main music is Classic Rock, Southern Rock, Acid Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Speed Metal, along with New Age Jazz, and Blues. If I want to go with SVS, my only options would be SB-1000 (Pro) or SB-2000, all between $400 - $600. One of my favorite Metallica songs is "One" so getting that song right is a must, which the article says the PB-1000 can not do. Fortunately, that song sounds excellent on the Klipsch R-120sw with very articulate bass drums.

Happy Easter.

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was the S&V review I was talking about, Praise for HT Performance but the opposite for music. The same can be said of This Article even showing why with poor time domain test results. Once again Praise for HT performance but the opposite for music.

My main music is Classic Rock, Southern Rock, Acid Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Speed Metal, along with New Age Jazz, and Blues. If I want to go with SVS, my only options would be SB-1000 (Pro) or SB-2000, all between $400 - $600. One of my favorite Metallica songs is "One" so getting that song right is a must, which the article says the PB-1000 can not do. Fortunately, that song sounds excellent on the Klipsch R-120sw with very articulate bass drums.

Happy Easter.

Thanks.
Subjective and relatively casual impressions comparing to other gear without controlled conditions just don't get me going that much, especially with very different subs like that (even for Brent B). Then again I didn't take the review to be knocking the SVS particularly for music....but then again who cares about Steely Dan compared to a nice 16hz organ rumble? :) I would be curious about @shadyJ 's take on the sub generally, tho.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Subjective and relatively casual impressions comparing to other gear without controlled conditions just don't get me going that much, especially with very different subs like that (even for Brent B). Then again I didn't take the review to be knocking the SVS particularly for music....but then again who cares about Steely Dan compared to a nice 16hz organ rumble? :) I would be curious about @shadyJ 's take on the sub generally, tho.
Here's another by Brent Butterworth saying this "SVS PB-1000: This sub offered impressive measured low-frequency output for a model of its price, but our panelists said it didn’t sound as clear and defined as our top picks."

So now that's 3 professional review websites saying the same thing. The PB-1000 isn't for music so I'm passing. I'm still interested in the SB-2000 as it looks to have an advantage of more low bass output. The SB-1000 and 1000 Pro have low output numbers for the low bass although they artificially raise them with DSP/EQ to get low reference output flat response. The Klipsch R-121 has better group delay and low bass output. Since the PB-1000 Pro out of my budget, I'm sticking with the SB-2000 is really my only option for an upgrade with it's size, frequency response and max low bass output. Even that said, it may not be a big upgrade that's worth the money. I still have to make a decision on which direction to go here.

The one thing I love about the Klipsch R-120sw is the amount of Punch/Kick this subwoofer has. It literally blew my previous 10" Velodyne CT-100 away as well as other lesser subs I've owned. Hopefully I'll gain on that as well with a sealed sub. The PB-1000 was said to have excellent low frequency response and output but weak punch.

Last edited:
M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Learning some things. The lady rep who didn't recommend the SB-2000 was right. Called SVS and they agreed for what I wanted. Said it would be better for music but worse for HT. While I do prioritize music, I want to go up in HT performance if I'm shelling money out, not go down or get equivalent HT performance.

The rep. recommended the PB-2000 which has very good performance but is way to big for my spot. He then recommended the PB-1000 Pro which is much more expensive. Both would be an upgrade in music and HT performance.

So until I can buy another house to fit a bigger subwoofer into or until money falls from heaven to throw $800 at the PB-1000 Pro, I'll stick with what I have. I likely have the best bang for the buck already with the Klipsch, especially considering it's performance to size output.

I thought about the Klipsch SPL-120 but I don't think I'd gain much at all with that sub over what I have. Maybe output volume but sound quality Likely will be close.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Would you be willing to share a pic of the front of the room?
I agree, the spl120 while better, it’s probably not better enough for the trouble. Having trouble figuring out why a pb2000 wouldn’t fit, but it would definitely destroy the Klipsch subs. Imo, it might be worth trying an RSL speedwoofer 10s. The group delay thing you mentioned would only be evident(if at all) below any music threshold. So for HT it would be better than the Klipsch and still be good for music.
Also, are you on concrete, or suspended flooring?

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Since i have a square room, most spots give terrible accuracy with bloated, high or mid bass. The spot i have the sub is very accurate. It's right behind my right speaker and blends great.

However the sub is on the edge of the wall, where the front living room meets the hallway left wall. The sub is under the right very edge of the tv entertainment system, about 2". That's why the sub can't be anymore than 19" tall.

The sub is 14-1/4" wide, and is flush with the edge of the wall, where it meets the hallway. Anymore than that 14-1/4", and the sub sticks out in the hallway. That's why I didn't want anymore than 15" wide. With the sub backed all the way to wall where the cords are only bent enough to get by without damage, and leave about 3" from the rear port of the sub to the wall, is 22" overall. 21" for the sub with its power cord plugged in, and its knobs and connectors taken into the dimension. So sub can be no more than 19" tall, 15" wide or 21" deep. My front living room wall is short because it has the hallway to the right and a foyer to the left. Just long enough for tv entertainment center, front speakers, and stereo component rack. That's why sub is behind the right front speaker.

Right sidewall has bookshelves leaving only corner which has poor sound. Rear wall has chair and sofa, leaving only corner which has poor sound Left wall is all picture window with chair, table, and light, leaving only spot that has weak bass.

So I'm limited to front wall, behind right front speaker for good subwoofer sound quality.

Thanks

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
I did it whether it's right or wrong. I bought a SVS SB-2000 for a nice price. If it doesn't work for me, I'm out of no cash to return it, and I know that I'd have to go up to a ported sub. I talked to another rep and said it would be a good improvement over the Klipsch R-120sw that I own in HT Low bass and music. If all works out, I'll move my living room Klipsch R-120sw to the bedroom and sell my Klipsch R-100sw.

Last edited:
M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Well I got my SB-2000 and was just what I wanting. It actually was a big difference. It exceeded the Klipsch R-120sw in every way. While at $300, the Klipsch R-120sw was a good buy but the SVS SB-1000 at $500 is an even better buy. I don't regret my Klipsch purchase because at the time, the SB-2000, SB-1000, and PB-1000 were gone and discontinued. Their Pro models were way out of my price range. When the non pro version were re-introduced the SB-2000 was $700 and way out of my budget.

One thing I noticed right away is how much more articulate the sound was with the sealed construction. Not even my Velodyne CT-100 was this articulate. I'm a believer in sealed subs now. Another thing is how accurate it is. While I've read some reviews where they say a rounded frequency response won't matter because the room will play with that response, I don't agree. While not as apparent in music believe it or not, movie bass soundtracks as "Black Adam" is very noticeable in bass accuracy. In the movie where Black Adam is breaking out of his prison water tomb, the klipsch had a lot of midbass output vibrating the couch with some lower output, low bass rumble. The volume levels seemed to have swapped with the SVS SB-2000 where the couch now "shakes" from the high low bass output, and the upper bass output that made the couch vibrate from the Klipsch is still there but at a much reduced level. Where the Klipsch dominated with midbass vibration, the SVS dominates with low bass rumble.

The Klipsch R-120sw has very good PUNCH, better than anything I've had before it. The SVS punch is just as good but you feel it more as it's lower in frequency than the Klipsch. Both the Klipsch and SVS have much better punch than my previously deceased 10" Velodyne CT-100. The SVS SB-1000 is slightly smaller than the Velodyne CT-100 and much smaller than the Klipsch R-120sw. That steel grille is not to great though. It doesn't protect the woofer from the top of the speaker and it sticks out way to far. I wish they offered the cloth grill of the SB-2000 Pro.

The bad thing about the SVS SB-2000 amp is that it's sensitivity is much less than the Klipsh and Velodye. Klipsch subwoofer amp volume was 3/10 while Denon LFE out level was -7db to match front speakers. Velodyne CT-100 subwoofer amp volume was 3/10 as well while Denon LFE out level was -3db. The SVS SB-1000 subwoofer amp volume was 6.5/9 while Denon LFE out level was -7db. Changing to subwoofer amp volume 4.5/9, Denon LFE out level needed to be raised to +6db. Left subwoofer amp volume 6/9 with a Denon LFE out level of -3db. Seems the SVS amp volume gain is little below 12 o'clock and only gains significantly over 12 o'clock. It's sensitivity matched my Polk 8" subwoofers and demo Jamo 8" subwoofer. SVS said this is normal though.

Overall, a great subwoofer. I'll comment more as I listen more. A very substantial upgrade to say the least. Now in my life, I was able to go with the SVS as previously I couldn't.

Now I have to debate whether to sell my Klipsch R-100sw or R-120sw. Not sure which will actually do better in media room system. The R-100sw blends great with my little Polk TL1 satellite speakers but doesn't go nearly as low as the R-120sw despite having a 'rated' bandwidth of only 3 Hz higher in the low bass and being in a much smaller room.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis