R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I just ordered dual SB 2000's for my ~1237 cubic foot room.

It's my understanding that sealed subs stack their low end power. Is this correct?

There's a guy on youtube, Subwoofer 101, he doesn't like sealed subs. Guy says sealed subs hurt his ears. Does anyone else feel this way? I've never owned sealed subs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I just ordered dual SB 2000's for my ~1237 cubic foot room.

It's my understanding that sealed subs stack their low end power. Is this correct?

There's a guy on youtube, Subwoofer 101, he doesn't like sealed subs. Guy says sealed subs hurt his ears. Does anyone else feel this way? I've never owned sealed subs.
Lol, sealed subs hurt his ears. The imagination is a powerful thing.

To answer your question, depending on the shape of the low end response, some sealed subs can get a boost in deep frequencies in small to medium sized room due to a type of room gain called pressure vessel gain. A 1237 cubic foot room should see some significant low end gain from those SB-2000s, if there are not big openings to other areas of your home. .

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic

This is my current set up. Subs sound VERY boomy. Doesn't sound that boomy IRL, but it's boomy. Which is why I'm trying something different with the SB 2000's. It's a mess because I just flipped everything 90 degrees; I'm not quite finished and open to suggestions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

This is my current set up. Subs sound VERY boomy. Doesn't sound that boomy IRL, but it's boomy. Which is why I'm trying something different with the SB 2000's. It's a mess because I just flipped everything 90 degrees; I'm not quite finished and open to suggestions.
What are the current subs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As far as sealed hurt his ears comment....LOL. I won't bother watching the video, tho, that's not how I'd do research either. A second sub would help smooth room response and give you a little more output, but you won't gain extension (but like shadyj says small/medium rooms can provide some reinforcement down low)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

I think what you have is a setup issue more than a sub quality issue. You need to measure the response to see what is happening. Get a mic and REW, not more subs.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I think what you have is a setup issue more than a sub quality issue. You need to measure the response to see what is happening. Get a mic and REW, not more subs.
REW?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well your new subs I think will be an upgrade in any case.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I redid the test after calibrating the program to my DB meter.
ps505a.jpg

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
The mic I used for this test is a ShurePGA48, and it's range from 70hz to 15k. So obviously the wrong mic for these kind of tests.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A measurement mic with calibration file would be much better....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis