SVS, REL or Rythmik

P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
I am seeking advice again.

Thanks to all the help in the receiver section, I decided on a Yamaha RX-A2000 to power my B&W CM8 fronts, CMC2 Center and 685 rears. I currently have a Mirage Omni S8 subwoofer and am thinking it might make sense to upgrade it.

I think I've narrowed it down to:

REL R-218 or R-328 models.
Rythmik D12SE or D15SE
SVS SB12 Plus or SB13 Plus

My room is quite small now, howver I will be placing this stuff in a larger room down the road.

I am generally 65% music to 35% HT. Gaming involved as well.

I really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'd go with the SVS SB13 Plus, but I'm sure all of them would serve you well.

P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
Thanks!

I'll add the Earthquake Mini me to the list as well as it seems to be good.

Thanks again!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Although the Rythmik subwoofer reviewed by Audioholics has tremendous output and power for home theater, Rythmik's target crowd is the "music" crowd, where the primary goal is tight accurate "musical" bass.

These subwoofers have high damping capability with a Q value of 0.5.

My Linkwtiz Orion has a bass Q value of 0.5, and so I wanted to get a subwoofer with the same high standards.

The output for movies is tremendous; but the best part for me is how tight and controlled they sound for music.

P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
Thanks very much!

I sent an email out to Rythmik to see how much to get one in Canada and am waiting for their response.

If it is too much, it would be nice for other options. I can get SVS and REL in Canada however.

Appreciate the response.

P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
Looks like I should just get one sent to my brother in Boston if I go that route.

AcuDefTechGuy,

How do you feel it compares to the REL in your opinion?

Thanks for your response!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't even consider a REL. Overpriced, undersized subs.

Funkywaves, SVS, and Rythmik. Since you're Canadian i'd lean towards FW.

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
Totally REL

I am totally a proponent of REL as I feel the flexability of there HI and LO connections offers the best integration between stereo and multichannel sound.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
SVS my neighbor has the PB13 Ultra.......... Awsome go to their web site.

P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the responses.

Confused even more, but I appreciate any feedback or oppinions that anyone may have.

Thanks.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I can see why, in your Rotel .vs Yamaha thread one member posted so many times about a sub I thought he worked for them.:)

K

kesando

Junior Audioholic
All are great subs but due to your location, the SVS or FW options are your best bet

P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
That is a good point, however I would like to not be limited by my location.

I can visit my brother in Boston and have it shipped to him.

I guess which sub would match my B&W CM8s the best?

Something musical but can handle itself in a movie ;)

Thanks again everyone.

P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
Ha Ha Ha!!

All of those are definitely on the short list...

Just a big decision without being able to hear them..

So trying to get all the info I can!

Thanks for those with advice :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd definitely look into Funky Waves they have some P-R builds that would blow all the others out of the water.

Sealed is not the way I'd go unless you are limited in footprint like me.

P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
Hmmm.. I haven't even heard of FunkyWaves.

What makes them stand out above the others?

Thanks again!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
What makes them stand out above the others?
Rythmik's claim to fame is using great drivers along with direct servo to really reduce all sorts of distortion. They make vented and sealed subs, and also offer DIY kits.

SVS uses DSP and great drivers to have great performing subs. They also make vented and sealed subs.

Funkywaves uses some really great drivers in custom enclosures with top notch build quality / fit and finish. You can have FW make you a vented or sealed sub, a passive radiator, maybe even bandpass, transmission line, or folded horn subs. It's 100% custom. Passive Radiator subs like their FW15.3 have an advantage over ported subs in that there is no possibility of creating pipe resonances or vent noise - you can actually squeeze a bit more low end output out of them. TLS Guy over here could probably tell you why he thinks classic transmission lines are great options when it comes to sound quality.

I think all of the above are great choices for high end subwoofers. Funkywaves is a great option for canadians like us because there's no extra duties to pay. SVS through sonic boom audio is marked up quite a bit (which is understandable). Rythmiks must be ordered from USA.

Funkywaves are local and use great drivers, and can be custom designed with YOUR input and YOUR choice of finish.

Here is the Audioholics FW thread. - scroll down to post 21 to see warpdrv's bedroom FW sub.

Last edited:
P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for such a helpful response!

Definitely something to consider. I can get 2 subs for the price of one FW however, although I can see that they seem to be amazing quality!

Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis