SVS Prime Tower or SVS Ultra Bookshelf?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Although the camera distorts the picture I wish I could blame it for my tv. I definitely definitely need a bigger TV Lol

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
I own 2 SVS PB 4000's subs. And currently have 3 SVS prime towers as my front 3. I'm planning on upgrading to all SVS speakers down the road.

As people have mentioned there are good alternative options for the money out there. Why SVS will be my final stop on speakers is first off I really enjoy the Prime Towers. For music and home theater. I like them so much I want to move up the line and go with there ultra line.

Second as mentioned there outstanding customer service before and after purchase which I can vouch for. They're excellent bill of rights. They're free shipping both ways generous trial period and free returns. Risk free home auditions gets no better then that.

And third they are for the money both in the Prime series and Ultra series excellent at being solid good measuring speakers. Like there subs they may not stand above the crowd but they do everything very well with no glaring apparent weaknesses. For the money that's good enough for me. I don't want to keep running down the rabbit hole with this hobby and the Ultra line will keep me happy and be enough. And that's good enough for me.

Now what to recommend the Prime Towers or ultra bookshelves others have said it it would be helpful to know your room size listening requirements etc etc before we can make suggestions. In the right sized room you may not need the towers.

Good luck on your selection pm me if you want more feedback on those prime towers. I'm a very satisfied SVS customer and I hope my feedback helps. Here's a pic of them setup with the subs in my roomView attachment 26374
Wow, those really are massive subs. I have a SVS 25-31 PC+ cylinder sub from a few years ago that I've been very happy with - decided to go with bookshelves because of the sub. I agree about the SVS outstanding customer service with the bill of rights, free shipping back, generous trial period, etc. Hard to beat that.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, those really are massive subs. I have a SVS 25-31 PC+ cylinder sub from a few years ago that I've been very happy with - decided to go with bookshelves because of the sub. I agree about the SVS outstanding customer service with the bill of rights, free shipping back, generous trial period, etc. Hard to beat that.
Yeah they are huge man. But they are super friggin cool. I love em. They were worth all the hassle off getting them set up in there.
And man those guys at SVS are just the best they've treated me so good anytime I needed help. Sounds like we both have had great experiences.

So how do you like they're cylinder subs? One of these days I'm going to put 2 more subs behind the couches and those are one of my top choices

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
I've been really happy with this cylinder sub - get amazing deep extension, small footprint, etc. I'm sure the more recent versions are even better. Why do you feel a need for four subs in your system? I've briefly considered adding a second sub but opted not to - I'm pretty satsified with my setup as is. Not sold on the concept of multiple subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Prime benefit of multiple subs is for smoothing peaks/nulls through the room for more even response, reducing localization, also spreading the load with increased overhead and minimizing distortion.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I've been really happy with this cylinder sub - get amazing deep extension, small footprint, etc. I'm sure the more recent versions are even better. Why do you feel a need for four subs in your system? I've briefly considered adding a second sub but opted not to - I'm pretty satsified with my setup as is. Not sold on the concept of multiple subs.
In a nutshell everything that lovinthehd just said Lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If I get the cylinders I'm wanting the PC 4000's but there super tall and will stick out like a sore thumb even behind my couches I'm also considering dual outlaw audio ultra X13's and dual monolith 15's from monoprice. I'd have to have the Monoliths firing sideways behind the couches to get them to fit not straight into the couch but if I can make that work dual monolith 15's paired with dual PB 4000's would match very well and Id think be pretty epic with sound and feel. But if I can't make em fit then super tall sticking up over my couches PC 4000's it is. :)

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
Prime benefit of multiple subs is for smoothing peaks/nulls through the room for more even response, reducing localization, also spreading the load with increased overhead and minimizing distortion.
This is what I have read also, however, for me it's just not worth another $800 - $1000 for these benefits. It's mostly just me listening in the "sweet spot" and it all sounds pretty good from there, based on my system setup. I do not have the cylinder in a corner - it's about 4 feet along the rear wall.
There was too much reinforcement in the corner - all these SVS subs are absolute beasts. Not sure if you are into Dire Straits, but have you heard the track "The Man's Too Strong" from Brothers in Arms? I have the DVD-Audio and the low end on that track has to dip well below 20Hz - awesome effect.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is what I have read also, however, for me it's just not worth another $800 - $1000 for these benefits. It's mostly just me listening in the "sweet spot" and it all sounds pretty good from there, based on my system setup. I do not have the cylinder in a corner - it's about 4 feet along the rear wall.
There was too much reinforcement in the corner - all these SVS subs are absolute beasts. Not sure if you are into Dire Straits, but have you heard the track "The Man's Too Strong" from Brothers in Arms? I have the DVD-Audio and the low end on that track has to dip well below 20Hz - awesome effect.
Never noticed anything that low on that album but I'll check it out. Is it actually in the LFE channel on that disc? I do have the SACD of that and that may be the same mix so will check it out.

I diy to make my sub collection total expenditure come down altho still all the drivers and amps and plywood did add up to just a bit more than $2000 (in materials cost, the time is unpaid :) )

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Mine is SACD not DVD Audio. Why would they release both? Maybe I’m missing something. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mine is SACD not DVD Audio. Why would they release both? Maybe I’m missing something. :)
I've run into this before where the DVD-A and SACD 5.1 mixes are the same, so suspect it might be the case again. It may not be a true 5.1 mix (could be 5.0, 4.0). Mix/mastering could be different of course but hard to get provenance on such....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Never noticed anything that low on that album but I'll check it out. Is it actually in the LFE channel on that disc? I do have the SACD of that and that may be the same mix so will check it out.

I diy to make my sub collection total expenditure come down altho still all the drivers and amps and plywood did add up to just a bit more than $2000 (in materials cost, the time is unpaid :) )
What size are those DIY subs of yours if you don't mind me asking. Just curious is all. As far as 2000 in $cost I'd say that's awesome considering that gave you multiple subs vs one commercial one that costs the same as all yours put together

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If I get the cylinders I'm wanting the PC 4000's but there super tall and will stick out like a sore thumb even behind my couches I'm also considering dual outlaw audio ultra X13's and dual monolith 15's from monoprice. I'd have to have the Monoliths firing sideways behind the couches to get them to fit not straight into the couch but if I can make that work dual monolith 15's paired with dual PB 4000's would match very well and Id think be pretty epic with sound and feel. But if I can't make em fit then super tall sticking up over my couches PC 4000's it is. :)
Big monsters in the front are okay but subs visible behind you are where you draw the line? LOL. o_O

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
I've run into this before where the DVD-A and SACD 5.1 mixes are the same, so suspect it might be the case again. It may not be a true 5.1 mix (could be 5.0, 4.0). Mix/mastering could be different of course but hard to get provenance on such....
My disc is a 96/24 MLP 5.1 mix on DVD-A with picture video - I'm aware there is an SACD release as well. It's one of my best sounding discs and often used for demos. I also use Elton John SACDs and Grover Washington Jr - Winelight DVD-A for demos (and Dark Side of the Moon SACD of course).

E

eirepaul

Audioholic

In this song there are several short, loud (all-channel) guitar breaks and after each there is a bass note that reverbs really deep and shakes the floor, at least in my room - certainly in the LFE channel and coming from my cylinder.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis