SVS Prime Elevation, Front Height vs Top Front overhead (Atmos or DTS:X style?)

A

angrybadger75

Enthusiast
I just bought 4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers so that I could set up an Atmos system with overhead top fronts and rears without cutting holes in my ceiling. I had planned to ceiling mount them just in front and just behind my seating position as Dolby recommends. 7.1.4 Overhead Speaker Setup

Now that they've arrived I'm second guessing the fronts, whether to ceiling mount (Top Front Atmos approach) or use them as Front Height (like DTS seems to use more) mounted at the top of my front wall. I think the angle will hit my front seats regardless. I also think my Marantz SR6014 will figure out where they are regardless and adjust the delay and volume. I just wonder which would give me more flexibility with content available today? Any experience with these out there in different configurations?

My complete system is:
Marantz SR6014 Receiver
Marantz MM7025 Amp
2x SVS Ultra Towers
1x SVS Ultra Center
4x SVS Prime Elevation Side & Rear Surround
4x SVS Prime Elevation Front & Rear Overhead

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would set up for Atmos, I think.
Keep in mind, depending on the space, you can wall mount them, left and right, at the Top-Front and Top-Back locations with good success.

Most seem to agree that you get more bang for the buck with Tops rather than Heights.

I am weighing my upgrade path along these lines as well.
I could keep my high-mounted Rears and do Top Middle with Front Height, (I think).
Or I could do Front and Back Height as a 5.x.4...
I could get rid of the high mounted Rears altogether and successfully install Top Front and Top Backm again as a 5.x.4... though I do have a way to install a Rear Center instead or Rear Surrounds...
My space gets complicated! :p
I share because at the end of the day, we all have to take our spaces into account, and very rare is the situation when a person is custom building a perfect scenario with no compromise. How well you navigate the compromise is the measure of success for most of us! :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How tall is the ceiling? I would use tops first, but front and rear height can be good too. Depends on ceiling height, because it’s about angles really. The 6014 won’t find the speakers, but you’ll tell it where they are when you run audyssey.

Sup ryno!!!

A

angrybadger75

Enthusiast
How tall is the ceiling? I would use tops first, but front and rear height can be good too. Depends on ceiling height, because it’s about angles really. The 6014 won’t find the speakers, but you’ll tell it where they are when you run audyssey.

Sup ryno!!!
9' Ceilings, and the angle on the Elevations should hit my listening seat just right, even as Front Height.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I just bought 4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers so that I could set up an Atmos system with overhead top fronts and rears without cutting holes in my ceiling. I had planned to ceiling mount them just in front and just behind my seating position as Dolby recommends. 7.1.4 Overhead Speaker Setup

Now that they've arrived I'm second guessing the fronts, whether to ceiling mount (Top Front Atmos approach) or use them as Front Height (like DTS seems to use more) mounted at the top of my front wall. I think the angle will hit my front seats regardless. I also think my Marantz SR6014 will figure out where they are regardless and adjust the delay and volume. I just wonder which would give me more flexibility with content available today? Any experience with these out there in different configurations?
I would mount them up near the ceiling as shown in the image below if you want great ATMOS or Auro-3D sound.

111.png

A

angrybadger75

Enthusiast
I would mount them up near the ceiling as shown in the image below if you want great ATMOS or Auro-3D sound.
Yep, that's the Front Height option. Why do you vote it over Top Front?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
9' Ceilings, and the angle on the Elevations should hit my listening seat just right, even as Front Height.
Hit your seat because the angle of the baffle? Or because they’re close to the angle.

There’s another way to mount on the wall and get close to “tops” too. Mount high and to the sides.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And yes, I'm between that and this:

View attachment 41773
He mentioned auro 3D. There’s basically NO content, and you need a single VOG speaker in the center as well. IIRC though, Auro MIGHT phantom image between all four height/top speakers but if anyone is off axis, that’s useless as the sound will collapse to wherever that person is.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Personally, I prefer the front height install versus the overhead speaker. For me it provides better sound identification of objects.

It's really whatever you desire. I don't experience as much movie content directly overhead.

A

angrybadger75

Enthusiast
Personally, I prefer the front height install versus the overhead speaker. For me it provides better sound identification of objects.

It's really whatever you desire. I don't experience as much movie content directly overhead.
I do a lot of movie watching, but also music. Is your preference based on music, movies, both?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I do a lot of movie watching, but also music. Is your preference based on music, movies, both?
Only speaking or myself, but...
My system is 7.3.4 and I use tops. Ime that does work better. I’m 90% music, 90% movies the rest is gaming and network/streaming tv.
@VMPS-TIII, just wondering if you’ve tried tops in your specific room also.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
My height preference is based on music and movies. Denon receivers offer settings for both configurations. It's obviously a topic of choice.

Here is the Auro-3D setup. Its recommended to locate the speaker near the top of the wall and one overhead.
111.png

Denon also displays locations for overhead surround speakers in the image below. They are different than front height and rear height. You will notice the top surrounds are down firing instead of angled..

222.png

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hit your seat because the angle of the baffle? Or because they’re close to the angle.

There’s another way to mount on the wall and get close to “tops” too. Mount high and to the sides.

This is the “other” option I was trying to describe.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis