SVS PB4000 vs SB16 Ultra in room 13x20

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So I own a SB16 Ultra in a smallish room (12x10) and have now built a lower level larger media room - Was thinking of just putting the SB16 down there and using an older PB12 NSD 12" in the existing smaller room. However, for people who have experience with both the PB4000 and SB16 Ultra, will the PB4000 add much more to movies or is it minimal differences??

Thanks in advance, just not sure I want to spend another 2000 right now if the SB16 will be just as good as PB4000

The other items going in larger room:

ALL SVS:

Ultra Center
Prime Pinnacle Towers
Ultra Surrounds
Elevations in ceiling x 4

Cheers!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
PB-4000. The SB16-Ultra doesn't really have a performance advantage over the PB-4000.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed. For movies as you mentioned, the Pb 4000 will offer much more capability.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I was afraid you will say that.....my piggy bank is getting lighter by the second

C

ctsv510

Enthusiast
I went from SB16s to PB16s and I'd really recommend going ported for home theater usage. I experienced a significant additional tactile response (feeling the bass) with the PBs.

I should also mention that at $1899 for the PB4000 you should really also be considering a Rythmik FV18 or PSA TV1812. At this price point you'll find better overall performance and sound quality with one of those 18" subs. I sold my SVS subs for PSA subs and could never go back. Just my opinion and some food for thought.

C

Clownaphobia

Audioholic Intern
So I own a SB16 Ultra in a smallish room (12x10) and have now built a lower level larger media room - Was thinking of just putting the SB16 down there and using an older PB12 NSD 12" in the existing smaller room. However, for people who have experience with both the PB4000 and SB16 Ultra, will the PB4000 add much more to movies or is it minimal differences??

Thanks in advance, just not sure I want to spend another 2000 right now if the SB16 will be just as good as PB4000

The other items going in larger room:

ALL SVS:

Ultra Center
Prime Pinnacle Towers
Ultra Surrounds
Elevations in ceiling x 4

Cheers!
If you have the Sb-16, why not just try it out? I think if nearfield placement is an option, you might be pleasantly surprised. It really comes down to how much of a bass head you are, and what is expected. Obviously the PB will have a much bigger effect, but it doesn’t cost a penny to try

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
On a similar note, has anyone tried running SVS Prime Pinnacles as "Large" and no sub?
If so How's the LFE with movies? I know its not the same with out a dedicated sub , just wanted to know if its decent bass response until I eventually get the PB4000

P

ParisB

Audioholic
The PB4000 in "extended" mode can hit 16hz at 107dB without compression. You're not getting that with an SB16.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Thanks - I am thinking of swapping out the Pinnacles for the ULTRA towers- however I dont know if the bass would be overkill with these and the PB4000 in my room?

Plus folks are saying that the Ultras are hard to place in a room????

The pinnacles are nice but ultimately with the PB4000 and Ultra Center I feel like they need to be more matched

I think I have the width to accomodate the extra subs the Ultras have but is it too much in that 14x20 area?

Attachments

P

ParisB

Audioholic
I don't really think there's such thing as overkill for bass. You can always tune it down to blend. Think of a crossover as an overlap, not necessarily a handoff. So having more capable speakers in the bass will still get you benefits and flexibility to tweak crossover and your volumes etc.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks - I am thinking of swapping out the Pinnacles for the ULTRA towers- however I dont know if the bass would be overkill with these and the PB4000 in my room?

Plus folks are saying that the Ultras are hard to place in a room????

The pinnacles are nice but ultimately with the PB4000 and Ultra Center I feel like they need to be more matched

I think I have the width to accomodate the extra subs the Ultras have but is it too much in that 14x20 area?
I'll take those Prime Pinnacle speakers if you decide to move on if you aren't too far away from me?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I'll take those Prime Pinnacle speakers if you decide to move on if you aren't too far away from me?

Sorry Bro - I sent them back as an exchange to SVS!

They are nice but with my room and Ultra setup I felt the Ultra Towers matched better

Cheers

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry Bro - I sent them back as an exchange to SVS!

They are nice but with my room and Ultra setup I felt the Ultra Towers matched better

Cheers
Yeah I was only joking. I assumed that is what you did. You hate the Ultra towers on the way?

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Hate?

You meant have right

Yes one already arrived - I was able to use both side by side - I have to say it was hard to differentiate

The Ultra had a slightly more "beefier" tone overall especially with music

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis