SVS PB13-ULTRA and Rythmik FV15HP

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know about that; the PB13 offers 2 channels of EQ, room compensation (basically a high pass filter for the sub adjustable by slope and frequency), as well as three tuning modes. Its also one of the few subs that offers adjustable high/low pass filters (slope & frequency) for systems that don't have their own bass management.
Dunno, maybe SVS just doesn't show as much online
http://www.svsound.com/STA-1000D_front_800

vs.

Rythmik Audio • Subwoofer plate amplifiers
Rythmik Audio • Subwoofer plate amplifiers
Finally Arrived Rythmik DS1510 Direct Servo Sub Kit

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
They talk about the feature set of the Ultra amplifier here:
STA-1000D

Also, here's the shot of the cutaway PB13 for curious parties:
Fair enough.

Bottom line, I don't think you're gonna be disappointed in either sub. I went with the Rythmik F15HP, one of the deciding factors for me was that Rythmik is local.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure what you mean here? Even the shipping weight listed by Rythmik (130lbs) is less than the Ultra's weight alone (155lbs). FWIW Josh Ricci pegged the FV15HP at 110lbs over at data-bass, so there is a pretty big gap in that regard. Of course, weight alone isn't necessarily the best way to judge a sub, though the PB13 is built like a brick ****house (the cutout PB13 they had at CAF was pretty neat).

I don't know about that; the PB13 offers 2 channels of EQ, room compensation (basically a high pass filter for the sub adjustable by slope and frequency), as well as three tuning modes. Its also one of the few subs that offers adjustable high/low pass filters (slope & frequency) for systems that don't have their own bass management.

I made the mistake of looking at the sealed subs from the vendor pages. Thanks for pointing out that weights are being published as part of the system specs. Like you say, weight is no indication of build quality and both are very close in performance. Like I said before, either one is a great choice and none hold a distinct advantage over the other. Its all marketing at this point.

System Name
Drivers
10Hz
12.5Hz
16Hz
20Hz
25Hz
31.5Hz
40Hz
50Hz 63Hz
80Hz
100Hz
125Hz

<tbody>
</tbody>

Rythmik Audio, FV15HP(1 port)
Sing. 15
/
Rythmik Audio, FV15HP(2 ports)Sing. 15
/
SVS, PB-13 Ultra(15Hz)Sing. 13.5
/
SVS, PB-13 Ultra(20Hz)Sing. 13.5
/
/

<tbody>
</tbody>

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Is there anybody out there that has actually had or heard both of these speakers? I want to know what difference there is from the obvious $450 price between the two. What selling point is there for me to choose the more expensive SVS? Does one hit harder than the other? I don’t mind spending the extra cash if I can hear & feel the difference. I'm kinda bouncing around between the ULTRA's and the Rythmik.

Sorry for probably beating a dead horse with this post, but I am new to this:)

As mentioned in another thread, you can close the gap in price a bit by going with the PC13-Ultra instead, that is almost the same performance as the PB13-Ultra.

The Rythmik FV15HP with normal finish is $1339 plus shipping. In the continental U.S. outside of Texas, it is $142 for shipping, for a total of $1481. The PC13-Ultra is $1699 delivered in the continental U.S. So the price difference is $218.

Both are great performers, though there are differences; see the links provided by its philip and the chart provided by 3db. You also need to consider warranty and customer service. And product reliability. You will probably want to search for other's experience with reliability and customer service, but the warranty is 5 years for the SVS, and the Rythmik has a different warranty for the driver and for the electronics: 5 years for the driver, and 2 years for the electronics. There are other nice things about the SVS warranty system.

Very likely, you will be happy with the performance of either subwoofer (or, rather, any of the three, as there are two different shapes of SVS Ultras to consider). I personally would think about warranties and other such considerations, as well as price.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
As mentioned in another thread, you can close the gap in price a bit by going with the PC13-Ultra instead, that is almost the same performance as the PB13-Ultra.

The Rythmik FV15HP with normal finish is $1339 plus shipping. In the continental U.S. outside of Texas, it is $142 for shipping, for a total of $1481. The PC13-Ultra is $1699 delivered in the continental U.S. So the price difference is $218.

Both are great performers, though there are differences; see the links provided by its philip and the chart provided by 3db. You also need to consider warranty and customer service. And product reliability. You will probably want to search for other's experience with reliability and customer service, but the warranty is 5 years for the SVS, and the Rythmik has a different warranty for the driver and for the electronics: 5 years for the driver, and 2 years for the electronics. There are other nice things about the SVS warranty system.

Very likely, you will be happy with the performance of either subwoofer (or, rather, any of the three, as there are two different shapes of SVS Ultras to consider). I personally would think about warranties and other such considerations, as well as price.

If one reads the "The Official Rythmik Subwoofer " thread over at AVSFORUMS, one can see the great customer service provided by Enrico and Brian of Rythmik. They really take care of their customers. It's the 2nd reason as to why I bought from Rythmic.

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
If one reads the "The Official Rythmik Subwoofer " thread over at AVSFORUMS, one can see the great customer service provided by Enrico and Brian of Rythmik. They really take care of their customers. It's the 2nd reason as to why I bought from Rythmic.
I agree, just don't understand why Brian will not up the warranty to 5 yrs and match the competition. PSA, SVS, and HSU( for a extra 85-90.00) have 5yr. Love Rythmik products tho.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree, just don't understand why Brian will not up the warranty to 5 yrs and match the competition. PSA, SVS, and HSU( for a extra 85-90.00) have 5yr. Love Rythmik products tho.
I don't understand it either. However, I would definitely buy from Rythmik again in less than a heartbeat...If I had the cash that is.

kramskoi

kramskoi

Enthusiast
I made the mistake of looking at the sealed subs from the vendor pages. Thanks for pointing out that weights are being published as part of the system specs. Like you say, weight is no indication of build quality and both are very close in performance. Like I said before, either one is a great choice and none hold a distinct advantage over the other. Its all marketing at this point.

System Name

Drivers
10Hz
12.5Hz
16Hz
20Hz
25Hz
31.5Hz
40Hz
50Hz
63Hz
80Hz
100Hz
125Hz

<tbody>
</tbody>

Rythmik Audio, FV15HP(1 port)
Sing. 15
/
Rythmik Audio, FV15HP(2 ports)
Sing. 15
/
SVS, PB-13 Ultra(15Hz)
Sing. 13.5
/
SVS, PB-13 Ultra(20Hz)
Sing. 13.5
/
/

<tbody>
</tbody>
The Ultra will be cleaner, especially when pushed between 20 - 30 Hz.

The HP has 9dB more at 12 Hz, but it is also down about 8dB @ 12.5 Hz from the midbass response with a steep roll off well underway. The Ultra is worse at almost -20dB @ 12.5Hz, hence the marked advantage there for the HP. However, it must be noted that both subs are rolling off steeply at that point. The Ultra just does it 3Hz earlier and so the HP should sound slightly deeper. Max SPL is less the point once you are deep into a subs roll off, especially for fourth order and higher. The FR is what the ear sees. If you are down 25 dB at a certain frequency, you can indeed push that frequency up with a sinewave test but it still remains down 25 dB from the part of the flat FR above the knee.

I like the Ultra because it is cleaner, especially above 16 Hz. To be fair, the lower tuning of the HP certainly plays a part but the Ultra tests cleaner at all frequencies from 20 Hz on up. Those who like more extension will decide that a little more distortion from 20 - 30Hz (and higher) is worth getting a bit lower. There may be some integration issues with smaller mains and surrounds, as the HP rolls off at a very early 70Hz. The Ultra won't play as deep but will be very will represented from its tuning point upward.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The Ultra will be cleaner, especially when pushed between 20 - 30 Hz.

The HP has 9dB more at 12 Hz, but it is also down about 8dB @ 12.5 Hz from the midbass response with a steep roll off well underway. The Ultra is worse at almost -20dB @ 12.5Hz, hence the marked advantage there for the HP. However, it must be noted that both subs are rolling off steeply at that point. The Ultra just does it 3Hz earlier and so the HP should sound slightly deeper. Max SPL is less the point once you are deep into a subs roll off, especially for fourth order and higher. The FR is what the ear sees. If you are down 25 dB at a certain frequency, you can indeed push that frequency up with a sinewave test but it still remains down 25 dB from the part of the flat FR above the knee.

I like the Ultra because it is cleaner, especially above 16 Hz. To be fair, the lower tuning of the HP certainly plays a part but the Ultra tests cleaner at all frequencies from 20 Hz on up. Those who like more extension will decide that a little more distortion from 20 - 30Hz (and higher) is worth getting a bit lower. There may be some integration issues with smaller mains and surrounds, as the HP rolls off at a very early 70Hz. The Ultra won't play as deep but will be very will represented from its tuning point upward.
If I look at the chart above, it looks to me that the SVS rolls off sooner than the HP and the HP gives a flatter response. I don't believe there would be any intergration issues with the HP at all.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
If I look at the chart above, it looks to me that the SVS rolls off sooner than the HP and the HP gives a flatter response. I don't believe there would be any intergration issues with the HP at all.
I suspect he's talking about the base frequency response, not the max output. However, that particular issue was fixed after Josh's testing with a dedicated LFE input that bypassed the Rythmik's built in low pass filter.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The HP has 9dB more at 12 Hz, but it is also down about 8dB @ 12.5 Hz from the midbass response with a steep roll off well underway.
The main issue running the FV15HP for deep tune as shadyJ mentioned earlier is that it's down to running on a single 3" port; over at data-bas, Josh noted when pushed hard down low that vent noise becomes problematic. By comparison, the PB13's "deep tune" mode utilizes a pair of 3.5" ports which offers nearly triple the port area.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Is this a claim you can really substantiate? OP, you really can't go wrong with either sub.
That's what I've been stating all along. No one sub has a clear advantage over the other. They are both very well designed and built and have formidable output.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Well, you can look at the distortion measurements on data-bass. Those will tell you which will be cleaner. Of course, both units are very capable, but there's no denying that one will have more distortion than the other. It's all a tradeoff though. One unit has lower extension, but more distortion.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Is this a claim you can really substantiate? OP, you really can't go wrong with either sub.
TBH, looking at same Josh's measurements, PB-13 does indeed have lower component THD from 25hz and below (15hz mode 110db) than FV15HP (2 port 110db)

and yes, it's not hugely significant. Both are great subs

edit: oh well, Phillip just said same thing

kramskoi

kramskoi

Enthusiast

Screenshot from 2014-01-20 12:38:21.jpgScreenshot from 2014-01-20 12:52:12.jpgScreenshot from 2014-02-08 07:37:00.jpgScreenshot from 2014-02-08 07:36:09.jpg

Just an opinion my friend, the FR of both subs as tested by Ricci are nearly identical. The Ultra looks like a cleaner driver from 20Hz upward. If the HP was tuned to 15Hz, its distortion between 20 and 30Hz would be better. If it were tuned lower than 12Hz then its distortion would be even worse. One of the drawbacks of an extended bass shelf type alignment. The driver ends up having to compensate for the lower tune, causing more excursion/distortion in the audible region. Is the lower distortion worth the additional expenditure? That is for the OP to decide. The HP will do better from 12 - 16 Hz.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis